Saving Mr. Banks

I'm honestly more interested in seeing "Escape from Tomorrow" than this drech. It looks a LOT more interesting! ;)
Escape from Tomorrow was a terrible movie. Tho the camera style was interesting at best, the story and acting lacked character. Not to mention the fact, it was too obvious that it was filmed at both Disneyland and WDW. I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone even tho I was curious to see it too. Mr banks looks amazing and hope it does well.

What I just read on Huffington Post -- movie opened to mostly rave reviews at the London Film Festival. The buzz is that Emma Thompson's performance may get her an Oscar nomination.

This is not going to be a blockbuster movie. But it's not tryong to be.

Escape from Tomorrow was a terrible movie. Tho the camera style was interesting at best, the story and acting lacked character. Not to mention the fact, it was too obvious that it was filmed at both Disneyland and WDW. I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone even tho I was curious to see it too. Mr banks looks amazing and hope it does well.

It's an independent film, not meant to be heavy on story or character. I'm not planning on seeing it for character development or plot twists... that would be stupid. Just to see the film. And I thought it was pretty well-known that the movie was shot in both parks.

And along those lines, who exactly are they targeting with this movie? Besides Disney fans, I mean. Oh, and maybe Hanks fans. But at the end of the day, does the average movie goer REALLY care about the story of Walt Disney buying the rights to one of his movies? :confused3

It's PG-13 and certainly not in any way aimed at the typical Disney demographic. I would think that the movie would appeal most to aging baby boomers and their parents. E.g. people like me who don't go to a lot of movies who are still in love with Walt and Mary Poppins from way back when and like both Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson as actors. I'm really curious to see how successful it is. I, though, have talked five family members into going to see if with me, including DS 18, and it was an easy sell. I rarely plan an extended family holiday movie outing, so if there are enough people like me out there it might do OK. It also was only about 35 million to make.

To others who wonder if Tom can pull off Walt. OMG have you seen the clips. He has such a sparkle in his eye (Walt like to me anyway) and seem to have Walt's mannerisms down pat. Watch the video clips from this and see what you think. But then too, I really only remember Walt from watching the Wonderful World of Color and Wonderful World of Disney as a kid. So maybe my memory is flawed, but I love what I saw of Tom Hank's portrayal.
http://movies.disney.com/saving-mr-banks?cmp=wdsmp_banks_4d_google_media_Media-Ads_Media-Ads

I'm also very excited. What really kills me is I had the chance to be in it but something else came up :( Wah!

Are you an actor? A cousin of someone?

Whatever came up must have been pretty good. Seems like this would have been an awesome movie to be a part of.

Are you an actor? A cousin of someone? Whatever came up must have been pretty good. Seems like this would have been an awesome movie to be a part of.

I do background :) I heard the casting call for this and it was actually at Disneyland :( But I couldn't do it bc I couldn't get the day off from my full time job.

Saw the trailer and looks interesting. I know it's about the making of Mary Poppins but I am more curious to see how Tom Hanks portrays Walt Disney.

Just got back from seeing a preview and loved it! popcorn:: :thumbsup2

Also saw a preview last night in Montreal (french canadian version) and really loved the movie. Tom Hanks really did a great job as Walt Disney and Emma Thompson, as usual, is stunning!

It was great to really learn more about the author of Mary Poppins... but I would have love to see more of Walt and the Studios.

A great movie, really!

Am I missing something? Isn't this movie supposed to be released everywhere today? I've looked at all of our local theaters and none of them have it listed! How can that be possible?

On another note, the other big movie I want to see is American Hustle and that's not listed anywhere either!

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Am I wrong that it's not being completely released today? I hope so!

Nevermind, I just saw that they are both released in larger markets today and not officially everywhere until Dec. 20th!

Am I missing something? Isn't this movie supposed to be released everywhere today? I've looked at all of our local theaters and none of them have it listed! How can that be possible?

On another note, the other big movie I want to see is American Hustle and that's not listed anywhere either!

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Am I wrong that it's not being completely released today? I hope so!

Nevermind, I just saw that they are both released in larger markets today and not officially everywhere until Dec. 20th!

I thought American Hustle was being released everywhere today but I know Saving Mr. Banks is just limited release until next Friday:)

I'm honestly more interested in seeing "Escape from Tomorrow" than this drech. It looks a LOT more interesting! ;)

I saw "Escape From Tomorrow" twice (once alone and then w/DH) on demand. It was crazy and I never thought I'd want to sit through that again. I would, as it turns out, rather see it again than sit through SMB. Seriously.

I have been researching the PG-13 rating, and it seems to me that it stems from the violence in the PL Travers flashback scenes. We are trying to determine if those parts too intense and numerous for our seven year old son. Otherwise, we feel pretty confident he is mature enough for the rest of the subject matter as we understand it.

Any comments from those who have already seen it?

Thanks.

Just returned from seeing the movie... Loved it! Definitely not a movie for kids, mine would have been bored to tears if I took them. There are some adult problems addressed in the movies that might be tough for kids to understand.

Saw it today. Really enjoyed it. I thought Tom Hanks did a good job playing Walt Disney. The Sherman brothers were great!

The backstory of PL Travers was quite intense and graphic. The Mary Poppins she had in mind is not the one we got.

The scenes in Disneyland were really cool!

I also saw it today also and loved it too! It was very emotionally moving. Emma Thompson was fantastic. I could see it again.

I have been researching the PG-13 rating, and it seems to me that it stems from the violence in the PL Travers flashback scenes. We are trying to determine if those parts too intense and numerous for our seven year old son. Otherwise, we feel pretty confident he is mature enough for the rest of the subject matter as we understand it. Any comments from those who have already seen it? Thanks.
I saw it this evening. I think a seven year old would be bored in this movie. It is mostly about P.L. Travers. Wish it had more vintage Disney and Disneyland.

I have been researching the PG-13 rating, and it seems to me that it stems from the violence in the PL Travers flashback scenes. We are trying to determine if those parts too intense and numerous for our seven year old son. Otherwise, we feel pretty confident he is mature enough for the rest of the subject matter as we understand it.

Any comments from those who have already seen it?

Thanks.

I would imagine this stems from some of the scenes with PL Travers' father, he battled with a drinking problem and illness, and some of those scenes are a bit intense... but I believe the rating is due to them showing him drinking onscreen. I don't remember anything, particularly, that would be drastically inappropriate for a 7 year old.

Utterly fabulous movie! :thumbsup2 Definitely some Oscars on the way!

But for those confused about the plot... it's not a movie about Walt, but a movie about PL Travers.

Tom Hanks does a brilliant portrayal of Disney, but it's definitely a supporting role.

Still, lots of great Vintage Disney! The team in the Archives worked hard to make the movie as accurate to the period as possible!

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I have been researching the PG-13 rating, and it seems to me that it stems from the violence in the PL Travers flashback scenes. We are trying to determine if those parts too intense and numerous for our seven year old son. Otherwise, we feel pretty confident he is mature enough for the rest of the subject matter as we understand it. Any comments from those who have already seen it? Thanks.

My personal opinion is that it's not a movie for a 7 year old, both because of some of the flashback scenes but I also don't think it would appeal or be entertaining to a child.

For adults though... Two thumbs up! I LOVED it!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter