Saw 4 large Confederate flags flying at a house today,

I see that flag/symbol every single time I'm in SC, NC or VA. On shirts, cars, hats, houses...

I do not see it here in NYC.

It's kind of funny that you seem to think that since I don't see the freak flag that often, it shouldn't matter/offend me.

No, I just think people waste an awful lot of time being offended by something they don't see very often.

Funny, I can travel all over the south and rarely see the flag. DH drives a truck and is all over the southeastern US all week every week and rarely sees it.

Because if I wouldn't have posted apparently there are others that would have... and have by the way. I stand by what I said. I have not been rude, I have not called names even though some have called me names. I am allowed to have my opinions just as you and everyone else are allowed to have theirs. I guarantee you and others on this thread have opinions that I would find offensive and that's fine. It's what makes the world go round.
Everyone is allowed to express their opinions but you can expect to be corrected when it is based on something factually incorrect.

Like when you tried to teach me about Andrew Johnson? Got it :rolleyes:
At least I corrected my post to say he was elected Vice-President and then served as President. Technical point that did not change the point that your post was based on a very wrong assumption. Still waiting on you to explain how the confederate flag reminds you of the one area of the south that did not support the Civil War. A ridiculous assumption. Still waiting.

At least I corrected my post to say he was elected Vice-President and then served as President. Technical point that did not change the point that your post was based on a very wrong assumption. Still waiting on you to explain how the confederate flag reminds you of the one area of the south that did not support the Civil War. A ridiculous assumption. Still waiting.

I've said many times that when I use those terms they are not regional for me. I don't associate them with the South or southerners so there's nothing for me to explain.

You didn't correct your post, you were corrected. Big difference.

?

So you're good with one-sided PC? Or you think it's stupid too? Sorry, I just don't quite understand your comment.
Oh, I'm not PC.
Personally, I'm not into the whole PC thing, but how is what you are saying any better than other words people get in a snit over?
What others are saying, isn't any better..IMO.

I also heard "Cracker" was derived from slave owners who would crack a whip to get their slaves to work harder

Many people are offended by the word "Cracker" in the same way people are offended by an ugly word racists use to describe Black people. Cracker was used to describe Irish servants, aka slaves, shipped over to the colonies from England. Later, as many words and symbols are, it was adopted to apply to those who cracked a whip.

I was asking not twisting based on this comment:

You said you have relatives who fit the stereotype of redneck and hillbilly. I was curious if you would also think it is appropriate to call them trash since you equated these terms. No twisting involved.

Read it again.

I've said many times that when I use those terms they are not regional for me. I don't associate them with the South or southerners so there's nothing for me to explain.

You didn't correct your post, you were corrected. Big difference.
Very disingenuous. When you post those terms in relation to your feelings about the confederacy I think anyone would see that your talking about the south. What other areas could you be referring to as hillbillies? You obviously don't want to admit your mistake but your association was misinformed.

I read it again. Same question.

I've given you my thoughts in many posts, you just seem to have a hard time getting that I'm not disparaging anyone. I've explained to you how and why people see the terms as being interchangeable, that they are not regional and I have said there are people in this part of Canada, including some relatives, that fit the stereotypes created by these terms. Never once have I said I use the terms.

Last edited:
Very disingenuous. When you post those terms in relation to your feelings about the confederacy I think anyone would see that your talking about the south. What other areas could you be referring to as hillbillies? You obviously don't want to admit your mistake but your association was misinformed.

Nope, sorry, you are 100% wrong and I'll thank you to stop trying to tell me what I'm trying to say. I said that I refer to my BIL as a hillbilly and white trash. He was born in Edmonton (I think) so OBVIOUSLY I don't associate it with the south. I associate it with attitudes and behaviours. You are pretty hellbent on associating it with the south so maybe you would do good to take a look at your own attitudes and prejudices.

All this arguing and bickering back and forth really isn't me so I think we're at the point where we should agree to disagree and move on. I won't respond to you any further, so it's up to you how you choose to act from now on.

It is the flag of traitors who lost a war they fought to maintain their desired right to own other human beings. Why anybody wants to associate with defeated traitors makes no sense to me, and while those who do so have the right to make a statement, so do others have the right to denounce that statement with statements of their own.

As to getting over it, one could say the same thing for those still flying the Confederate battle flag more than 150 years after the Confederacy was defeated and surrendered. The admonition to get over it rings a little hollow in that light, in my opinion.

Goodness, I'm glad it's so cut and dried for you. Maybe you should read a history book for a little perspective. Things are rarely as black and white as you think.

In any event, the confederate battle flag ceased to be a symbol of the confederacy/civil war years ago and has evolved into a symbol of bigotry and hate. I wouldn't be caught dead with one (and yes, I'm southern) but if some dumb jerk wants to wave the thing, let them. It at least makes it easier to identify the idiots in the room.

I think Gumbo had it right in another thread. Its a rebel flag and for the vast majority, thats all it means. The young guy with it on his truck isn't necessarily racist but he is a rebel.

For some its a symbol of the south. For those, maybe they should choose the real confederate flag. But I am sure there would eventually be an issue wih that flag too. The south isn't going away nor is the pride in being southern. And for some a symbol of that pride is necessary. A symbol that is truly southern.

Neither of these two groups are white trash. Rednecks, maybe, but thats ok. Country boys and girls, most likely. But not white trash (or black trash for the blacks that fly it)

And for some it is a symbol of racism. Is completely removing the flag going to remove their racism? Nope. They would just pick up another symbol and keep the same hate in their heart. And ye we let them win by trying to wipe out whatever symbol they choose to pick up.

Like I said before, the flag is rarely seen around here. When you do see it, its usually the "rebel" thats flying it.

To judge an area, a home or a person by the flag they fly is wrong. If you don't know the person, you shouldn't judge.

I have lived in the South my entire life. Here in my neck of the woods, the Confederate Battle Flag (the flag that does NOT have the large white bars around the edges to denote white supremacy) is a symbol of heritage. When a young boy gets his first truck (or car) its common place for them to fly that flag on the truck, especially if the truck is lifted or decked out. Its normal to see the flag flying in peoples yards - both black and white. The Confederate Flag (that does have the large white bars around the outer edge like the one taken down in SC) is a flag I have never seen flown, though maybe I just haven't noticed it.

People need to learn their flags and their history before they go on some social justice crusade spewing misinformation. There were several different flags made for and during the civil war.

Further more, for those saying that flag represents slavery let me fill you in on some history, history I might add, you can easily verify for yourselves.

The North fought to free the slaves in the Southern states, NOT the Northern states. Many Northern states still had slaves after the civil war.

The state of Delaware fought to keep slavery until 1908.

Robert E. Lee, who commanded the Confederate Army, never bought slaves. He inherited some but freed them voluntarily BEFORE the Civil War ever happened.
Ulysses S. Grant, your Northern Commander who was fighting to "free the slaves" actually owned slaves until after the Civil War was over.

Abraham Lincoln, your beloved President who emancipated the slaves, freed them to send them to a remote island as he said blacks and whites couldn't co-exist. He actually deported about 500 slaves to the Caribbean Islands where they fell ill and many died to sickness while others starved to death. Just over 70 remained alive and had to be rescued. The only reason there weren't more than 500 sent was because of a lack of funding for the project.

Your Northern heroes didn't give a crap about freeing slaves. It was political and nothing more. So before you preach to us about being traitors, read up on your history to see what really happened. Just because Mary Sue North says it on facebook, doesn't make it so. Before you knock us for a flag that was never even carried into battle during the civil war (The Confederate Flag was carried to battle, the Confederate Battle flag {also known as the Rebel Flag} was not) why not take a look at your own flag, the American Flag, and remind yourself of the slavery it stood for. The Northern Generals, under the American Flag, owned slaves far longer than the South did.

But no one cries about that.

Education is a powerful thing.

I have lived in the South my entire life. Here in my neck of the woods, the Confederate Battle Flag (the flag that does NOT have the large white bars around the edges to denote white supremacy) is a symbol of heritage. When a young boy gets his first truck (or car) its common place for them to fly that flag on the truck, especially if the truck is lifted or decked out. Its normal to see the flag flying in peoples yards - both black and white. The Confederate Flag (that does have the large white bars around the outer edge like the one taken down in SC) is a flag I have never seen flown, though maybe I just haven't noticed it.

People need to learn their flags and their history before they go on some social justice crusade spewing misinformation. There were several different flags made for and during the civil war.

Further more, for those saying that flag represents slavery let me fill you in on some history, history I might add, you can easily verify for yourselves.

The North fought to free the slaves in the Southern states, NOT the Northern states. Many Northern states still had slaves after the civil war.

The state of Delaware fought to keep slavery until 1908.

Robert E. Lee, who commanded the Confederate Army, never bought slaves. He inherited some but freed them voluntarily BEFORE the Civil War ever happened.
Ulysses S. Grant, your Northern Commander who was fighting to "free the slaves" actually owned slaves until after the Civil War was over.

Abraham Lincoln, your beloved President who emancipated the slaves, freed them to send them to a remote island as he said blacks and whites couldn't co-exist. He actually deported about 500 slaves to the Caribbean Islands where they fell ill and many died to sickness while others starved to death. Just over 70 remained alive and had to be rescued. The only reason there weren't more than 500 sent was because of a lack of funding for the project.

Your Northern heroes didn't give a crap about freeing slaves. It was political and nothing more. So before you preach to us about being traitors, read up on your history to see what really happened. Just because Mary Sue North says it on facebook, doesn't make it so. Before you knock us for a flag that was never even carried into battle during the civil war (The Confederate Flag was carried to battle, the Confederate Battle flag {also known as the Rebel Flag} was not) why not take a look at your own flag, the American Flag, and remind yourself of the slavery it stood for. The Northern Generals, under the American Flag, owned slaves far longer than the South did.

But no one cries about that.

Education is a powerful thing.
Are you an American citizen? It almost doesn't sound like it. In my mind, if one lived in the USA, and fought against it they are or were traitors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter