• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SB: Anyone going to scrap the WTC tragedy...

luvdsny

Homeschool Mom Extraordinaire Go Broncos!
.....as a memory book/page?

I would like to make a collage (using a multi-picture frame) of last Tuesday's tragedy to keep as a reminder for my children in the years to come.

And I want to use some of the scenes that we've all come to appreciate as 'memories' from that day...mixed in with an American flag (of course) and some other things such as date, time, place, who was President, etc.

I'm not sure where to find these pictures though. ??? Any thoughts?

I'm sure that any of the news web sites you should be able to find pictures to download. Just make sure if you don't use photo paper that the paper is acid/lignin free so that it won't yellow or ruin anything else on your page.

For me, I'm not too sure about scrapping the actual events themselves. However, my daughter dressed in Red/White/Blue to collect money for the Red Cross and I've a picture of that. On Friday night, when we went out to light the candles, I also took some pictures. We've got 8 12 yo girls outside with candles. They were taking a patriotic break from my DD's b-day party.

I also thought that on that page, I'd maybe write some of my reflections of the past week. I even think DH may do the same.

I have saved the newpapers and will put them away for now.

mbs

Our scrapbook group is getting together on tuesday to make a scrapbook , which we are going to send to George W. Bush

What a beautiful idea kittychatalot! I'm sure he will appreciate it dearly! :)

I just received this in an email from a friend. It is a picture tribute Some of the images might help you with your layout. I know that I should put together something for my grandson to have but I just can't bring myself to even think in that direction as yet.

Chessie

I think I probably will. I have a nice picture of my friend and me with the WTC in the background. Then I will have lots of journaling. My thought was that it would be really interesting if I had some kind of journal of my parent's or grandparent's reaction to historic events. I want to get DH to write something...he will probably look at me like I'm nuts!

I've been collecting everything since day one...newpaper headlines, articles and online photos. I haven't decided yet HOW I will scrap this event, but I know I won't use "graphic" photos. I want to include a lot of my own personal thoughts, so that my future generations will know exactly how I felt that morning and in the days that followed. My son is a United Sates Marine and I know that he will eventually be involved in resolving this terrorism issue. I'm not sure if I will incorporate all of this in his ongoing military scrapbook, or if I will do a separate album. Right now...I just continue to collect.

Our extended family (cousins, aunts, etc.) has an e-mail listserv, and I've saved all of our e-mails from September 11 and I've printed them out to put in my album.

I've found that a good way to order my thoughts and facilitate working through some unhappy times in my life is through scrappbooking and journaling about them.

My plan is to treat this story as a documentary and editorial of a watershed period in American history. No embellishments. Just words and pictures.

There are many stories here - the towers, heroism, reaction, unforseen concsequences both of the event, and of reactions to the event. Before and After - where were you? How has your life changed? How has the American way of going about it's business changed? Effect on others of the worlds peoples. Other viewpoints from around the world. How America rose to the occasion (or not). What I learned about myself. Patriotism.

Reflective scrapping.

Wow! Some wonderful ideas going on here~~~

I wish I had thought to keep my e-mails~~~those were some of those most compassion-filled notes I've ever received!

And I think asking the older generations what they think is an awesome idea! I think I will also ask the younger generation, since my DD is 10 and she has already written down her feelings about "Mr. Bad Guy" (she says she has so much anger, that she can't even say 'his' <bin Laden> name) and she has drawn several pictures of the twin towers and two airplanes crashing into them! Very moving......

I'll check out that website chessie, thank you. :)

You all have very creative ideas and I'm sure we all want to remember as much as possible.

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. :)

Tia

Thanks so much for all the great ideas. I too, had decided to do no embellishing. I'm just planning to use news headlines, photos and a lot of my own thoughts and concerns. This won't be a "cutesy" album - more or less, a history lesson for my future generations. My first grandchild was born 1 week before this tragedy. I know that someday, he'll appreciate the detail I've included in this book. I want my grandchildren and great grandchildren to know how I felt on that day and when I tried to sleep at night, or when I had to see my son off to fight this war. My words will be the mainstay of this album...and trust me, I've never been a fond lover of journaling - but right now...it comes pretty easy.

I am not going to scrap it as a separate book. We were on vacation in Florida when it happened, so I will make it part of our vacation book. I have pics of the hotel flag at half-mast, people gathered around the TV in the karaoke bar watching the president talk, and articles about Disney closing, etc.

luvdisney -

when you say a multi-picture frame, do you mean you are going to make something to hang in your house on display?

I don't think I will be scrapping this, but I can understand why other's are, but I can't imagine having these images on display in my home everyday - I am not saying we should forget, but I wouldn't want that constant reminder.

I don't mean any offense by this, if that is something that will make you feel better then by all means do it, I am just curious if I understand you correctly

Bev

For the past three years my youngest has gone
to New York City with her school. Last year her
Grandmother went along. They both really had
a good time eating at the Hardrock Cafe, seeing
Beauty & The Beast on broadway and taking
a boat ride and seeing the New York skyline.
Someone took a picture of her and her Grandmother
on the boat and in the background you see
the Twin Towers. With the pictures already in her
scrapbook we plan on putting newspapers and other
things on the tragic event. It's sad that all the trips
for this year have already been cancled.

Happycamperinpa
Angie

Hi fellow scrapbookers.........

I have also struggled with this subject. I am making scrapbooks for my young daughters for each year they are in school. So what ever they are "in" or things that happen I include in that year's book. However, I am alittle slow to rush in the horrible pictures from Sept 11 just yet, my children are very young and enjoy looking at their scrapbooks and I really don't want them over exposed to the images anymore than they already are.

SOOOOOOOOOOO......
What I have done is alittle "photo essay" and took pictures of different events, patriotic signs and flags, signs in front of stores and houses, and pictures of my kids in their patriotic clothes and colored pictures that they did for school. I even took pictures of people in line for gas and gas prices that day!!!!! I am going to include those things NOW in their books, and keep copies of emails, newspaper headlines and magazines in a "pocket" in the VERY back of the book. I can keep the pocket out of their books until they get older or whatever, but atleast someday they will have the very historical information as well as what was going on in our area at the time and how they helped out.

I guess I really don't know how to handle such an event, but I can't ignore the historical aspect of it and being Americans, I guess we are all effected in one way or another.

Would like to hear some more ideas.............

Thanks

Some really great thought-provoking comments and suggestions here.....Thank you. :)

Hi Bev. Yes, I am making a multi-picture (about 20 openings) frame so I can hang it in our house. And Yes, at first I was going to include some of the more 'graphic' pictures as well as some American symbols and a little bit of journal.....but now that I have thought about it a little more, I've decided to stick with JUST THE PATRIOTIC AMERICAN SYMBOLS w/o any of the 'graphic' photos and I'm only going to include the Headlines from the newspapers and television news. I've kept all of the newspapaers for the first week and a lot of the magazines from the last two weeks, so when someone wants to see what it looked like, they can pull those out. My frame will just serve as a 'memorial' to all our fallen Americans.

Thanks for asking......it helped me to realize that my second thoughts were valid. :)

luvdsny

Your idea made me think of the crossed stitched samplers my grandmother made. They were very patriotic. I am fairly sure they were done during W.W.II and probably to honor and remember those who went "off to war".I also have a wonderful satin stitched embroidery of two crossed flags that my great grandmother made during W.W.I.

We express ourselves in the crafts that we know and scrapping is our craft of today.

Chessie

I've been struggling with this question myself as we were actually in Disney World when this horrific event occured. Living in New York state makes this subject even more dear to me in terms of never forgetting all of the lives that were lost - both here and elsewhere. I have decided that I will include some information in regards to these terrorist attacks in my vacation scrap book as that is where we were at the time. I will then make a second - more extensive scrap book - of everything that has happened since day one until this horrible nightmare is over. This is certainly not what I had in mind when I purchased my 4-park Disney World scrap book while in Orlando but it's history and therefore needs to be documented.

Well-said Chessie. :) We do express ourselves a little differently now....but at least we still express ourselves. :)

And wow! I can't believe how many DIS'ers were at WDW when this horrible event started! :eek: Must have been a very interesting roller coaster~~~as far as emotions go. Here you are at The Happiest Place On Earth, and yet the this horrible event was able to reach over there. :(

I think documenting this with your trip is a great idea! Sad, but it's the way it happened.

luvdsny -

hi, I think the memorial sounds like a good idea - some of the images I've seen have been so disturbing to me, but others are really inspirational. Especially the way all the people have banded together to do things to try and help. I think there are some lovely images out there which could convey the strength of feeling and the strength of the people.

I'd love ot see what you produce

Bev

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter