• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

School now banning all "out of term" holiday leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! I bet there are a whole lot of parents wishing you were teaching at their kids' school!!

I was thinking that too. There are lots of lovely teachers who still care for our children who are in their charge :goodvibes

WOW! I bet there are a whole lot of parents wishing you were teaching at their kids' school!!

I'm not perfect. If a student tells me the day before that they're going on holiday, I can't pull resources out of thin air so sometimes they have to catch up when they get back. I also can't guarantee that their work will be marked instantly when they get back - they'll get put into my 'random pieces of work' pile which gets sorted through as soon as I have the chance. But more importantly, if your child isn't in my lesson then they don't get the full picture and critically they don't get all the fun activities I plan for them. ;) They may learn from reading a worksheet rather than playing a game, watching a video clip, singing a song, listening to me babble at them etc. :lmao:
The teaching ethos is that we allow every child to achieve their best, so staff have to do the best they can to ensure that. None of us are perfect, but I know we all try. We work hard and are well reimbursed with 13 weeks holiday as a result ;)

In an ideal world, we'd have worksheets already made up for every lesson so that any child who was absent for any reason could grab the missing work and carry it out - but that's a MASSIVE project (plus lessons change: you can't move on if the students haven't grasped what you taught last lesson). Even with that though, there's not the opportunity for discussion, for questions, to 'not understand' and have it explained a different way etc.

I'm also a teacher with no kids, but I am in secondary. I really believe that there isn't a major issue if parents pull kids out of school when they are younger, as long as they are aware of their own child's ability to catch up, the impact it might have on them, and being careful of avoiding times in the term when it might be important for the child to be there.

As children get older, though, it is more important for them to keep their attendance up. I teach Drama and in Year 10 we had a student who was taken out for the first three weeks after Christmas, making rehearsals difficult for everyone else in the group. The HOD spoke with them and there was a verbal agreement that they would not do this again. Fast forward to Year 11 and they took the child out for two weeks right after Christmas again, even though the group had a performance due in February!

This is when I get frustrated - if your child opts to take a subject such as Drama, where they will regularly be working in groups, then you need to be aware that your decision doesn't only affect your own child. By the same token, it is impossible to set holiday or catch up work when a child is meant to be rehearsing for a performance! :goodvibes

We took our kids out for 1 week in Feb 2007 when they were 8 and 5, and are planning to take them out for 6 days in October this year. Eldest DS is now 12 and will be in yr 8 in October so I don't think we will be taking him out in term time again in the future. Youngest DS has perfect attendance, eldest has had a few days off for illness, 2 this academic year, so they really don't miss a lot of school.

I really don't think this is a problem, academically or socially to my children. In fact we live in a well-to-do area and there are often kids jetting of to go skiing/Dubia/Tunisia this time of year, but the schools are near the top of the league tables and get excellent Ofsted reports. So I don't think it is a major problem to the schools either.

Cullen will start school in the September coming, I already plan to take him out towards the end of September for at least 3 days.

Why because my parents are visiting from New Zealand which will be the 3rd time they have seen each other. To me at 4.5 there are more important things than school, one of those is to spend time with his Grandparents.

"Most" parents are interested in their child's education and will play an active part in it.

Plus I do pretty well when I watch "are you smarter than a 10 year old" so I should be good to step in until at least 10 with any extra stuff they need to know ;)

To the person who suggested that you don't have to go to Disney, this is true, but the prices of EVERY holiday go up during school holiday times.

Kirsten

firstly can i say how interesting this debate is and how it shocks me how many teachers there on the dis- anyone would think we hadnt grown up yet;):laughing:
i agree with scramp vamp, i teach DT in 2ndary school, loads of "practical" lessons, not work that can be caught up on worksheets although with effort from parents- skills could be learnt at home (in the kitchen or diy ing with dad;))
i agree about the whole kids have days off sick and kids learn more stuff on hols too argument, depending on when you take your kid out and what they are doing whilst away.
i teach in a very mixed ethnic origin school and about 200 /1500 are off next week for trips to india, pakistan, family wherever.
i think kids learn more about there home culture doing this, and unless they are in year 11 they are not missing massive amounts of work, trips are pre planned, staff informed and some staff provide work (although the majority do not)...
I care greatly about my students, i dont think any teacher could say honestly that they dont, i work hard to ensure my lessons are fun and informative, that all students can achieve (g and t and sen) but i stand by the fact that it is unfair to expect me to prepare work for kids going away.
this is just my honest opinnion and i totally respect staff who provide "home" work.
(we do this if there is a death in the family/broken leg etc, but as a dept we dont for hols...)
tracy

To the person who suggested that you don't have to go to Disney, this is true, but the prices of EVERY holiday go up during school holiday times.

Kirsten

I didnt suggest it with any thing to do with price!!!

I suggested that schools cant say to one family you can take your child out of school because you are going to Disney which can be educational

and say no to another family who cant afford Disney ANY time of the year that they cant take the children out of school to sit on a beach some where

I am obviously the minority of this boards as I don't have children

I'm not writ writing ting on here to change your opinions just to voice my own

Well it sounds as though the LEA is a failing LEA and needs all the results it can get, I for one would take (and have) out of school for a holiday.

Only once did the Head "suggest" I didnt and that was during the time they were having SATs, these are only used for setting the standard of the school and do your child no benefit - only the school.

However, I did take them out and nothing was done on our return - I even walked my child into school and asked to see the Head before he began to ensure there were no issues...I think my direct approach worked as it was never mentioned agian to me or my child.

I didnt suggest it with any thing to do with price!!!

I suggested that schools cant say to one family you can take your child out of school because you are going to Disney which can be educational

and say no to another family who cant afford Disney ANY time of the year that they cant take the children out of school to sit on a beach some where

I am obviously the minority of this boards as I don't have children

I'm not writ writing ting on here to change your opinions just to voice my own

It wasn't actuallly you I was quoting it was Disney Princess 85 who said that if Disney was too expensive to take the child at another time of the year (I assume still during holidays however) or to go somewhere else as there are plenty of educational things in the world. The issue is that during school holidays prices are expensive anywhere. The other issue is that some parents just cannot get time off during school holiday time. Even if they can afford a holiday if they can't take their children out of school they just can't go. While I totallly agree education is very very important so is time with your family away from every day life. Whether that be a trip to Disney or camping somewhere.

We are quite fortunate and will most likely take our holiday during the school holidays however, I have family in New Zealand which requires a longer trip to see family. We may need to go outside of holiday times for example if we wanted to go to New Zealand for Christmas as you can't just go for one week.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion I have no problems with that at all.

Kirsten

I take my DD out of school however I will not take her out at the start of a new school year. I have done in the past and my DD told me she didn't want to miss the start of the term, she found it difficult to settle in when everyone else was used to the new routine. My DD is quiet and shy and if she doesn't know what she is meant to do she will worry rather than ask the teacher.
She is happy to go later in the school year though however if she said she didn't want to go at all during school time then we wouldn't go.

Most parents have a good sense as to whether their child is coping. I am fortunate that my DD does well at school. I also believe that although they attend school, education starts and ends at home. I have no problem sitting with her and helping her with catching up and don't expect the teacher to have to do extra work to help her to do so. There are certain crucial times of every school year when serious consideration needs to be taken as to whether it may be to the child's detriment to take them out.

If I can go during holiday time, this is my preference. I don't purposely try and take her out and have only done it once. However every family has its own circumstances and I will certainly not judge anyone who does it or is completely opposed to it. I find parenting my own child enough of a responsibility without worrying about what others should or should not be doing. :goodvibes

I really believe there is no right and wrong answer to this, only what is right for the child, and I believe that we are all responsible and caring enough to make the right decision for our own children.

It's disappointing that schools are being pressured to make all such leave unauthorised and send parents on a rollercoaster of guilt. We have our own reasons for travelling during term time, although we do tag on to half term. DD is a better person for her travels and does exceptionally well at school. Were this not the case of course we wouldn't do it, but I believe we do what is best for her and that schools should be allowed to make their own judgements based upon the best interests of the individual child.

It wasn't actuallly you I was quoting it was Disney Princess 85 who said that if Disney was too expensive to take the child at another time of the year (I assume still during holidays however) or to go somewhere else as there are plenty of educational things in the world. The issue is that during school holidays prices are expensive anywhere.

Yes, all holidays go up in price during the summer holidays, that is a given. However, the cost of holidaying in the UK or in Europe is always going to be cheaper than going to WDW (within reason, of course). My point is, if it's out of your price range in the summer holidays then try somewhere else, or go at another time of year (e.g. the October half term). Is it worth compromising your child's education for the sake of a holiday?

Also, I agree with what others have said about every child being different, i.e. some find it easier to catch up with missed work, etc. However, the point of schools banning out of term holiday leave is to make things fair for everyone: it wouldn't be right if a bright child was constantly allowed time off, while a struggling child had to maintain a 100% attendance record.

From a personal standpoint, I'm trying to go on as many holidays as possible before I have children. When I do have children, I'm aware that I will have to make sacrifices.

Also, I agree with what others have said about every child being different, i.e. some find it easier to catch up with missed work, etc. However, the point of schools banning out of term holiday leave is to make things fair for everyone: it wouldn't be right if a bright child was constantly allowed time off, while a struggling child had to maintain a 100% attendance record.

From a personal standpoint, I'm trying to go on as many holidays as possible before I have children. When I do have children, I'm aware that I will have to make sacrifices.

I couldnt agree more

The other issue is that some parents just cannot get time off during school holiday time. Even if they can afford a holiday if they can't take their children out of school they just can't go.

Kirsten

My job doesn't agree to having time off with in school holidays we are very busy during these times!

DF isn't aloud holiday in the summer starting may and not finishing till October
then I start getting busy again in November which normally leaves us just October

Cant afford it in January and February after Christmas

So when we have children we will be very restricted with holiday times

But i still dont think I will take our kids out of school but who knows my opinion may change when I am desperate for sunshine and can only go by taking them out of school :laughing:

But i still dont think I will take our kids out of school but who knows my opinion may change when I am desperate for sunshine and can only go by taking them out of school :laughing:

The only problem is that life throws so many curve balls at you and often, once the children come along, all those "I will always" and "I will never" statements go flying out the window because circumstances make it almost impossible to implement them. I do believe that if you feel strongly about something, you will usually do whatever it takes to ensure that you stick by what you believe, but sometimes the things you feel strongly about shift too over the years.

I do a lot of things now/dont' do things that I swore otherwise about. I never expected to be raising DD alone. I also have to be careful where I go as a single mum alone with a young child - that is also part of my responsibility. As I mentioned before, I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on this topic, but I am enjoying everyone's different points of view. I think it's great that this thread has remained a discussion and quite civil. That can only be saying good things about us on the UK board! :laughing:

Now do you see why for your childs benefit and the benefit of the teacher and the rest of the class you should take your holiday in one of the many holiday periods in the school year.

How about my son's year seven French trip which took five days in term time? It was educational because "it will give them experiences in French restaurants and talking to people in French". This trip involved coach travel to an onsite hotel at Disneyland Paris, it didn't go anywhere else. I refused to pay the large amount of money the school wanted for this trip (we have to subsidise the teachers' trip and cover the insurance costs in case one of the school chavs decides to put a claim in for cutting a finger don't forget) but I'm concerned, won't those who took time out to go to Paris be five days behind him in school work or am I allowed to now take him out for five days to allow others to catch up? If it's the latter should I hold him back from the five day "educational" ski trip that means we should, in theory, be able to take two guilt-free weeks in January next year.

By the way, next year's Spanish trip is to sample the food, language and culture of the country.

They're going to going to Fuengirola.

And I'm not kidding.

By the way, next year's Spanish trip is to sample the food, language and culture of the country.

They're going to going to Fuengirola.

And I'm not kidding.

And?
I just recently took some year 13's to Malaga, and am taking some years 7/8/9's to Lloret De Mar in May? I just don't understand your problem with school trips and how you don't see them as different to simply taking your kid out to go on holiday to WDW.

And as for your comment on 'subsidising the teachers trip' - Do you really think we are getting free holidays out of these trips?

:goodvibes

The only problem is that life throws so many curve balls at you and often, once the children come along, all those "I will always" and "I will never" statements go flying out the window because circumstances make it almost impossible to implement them. I do believe that if you feel strongly about something, you will usually do whatever it takes to ensure that you stick by what you believe, but sometimes the things you feel strongly about shift too over the years.

I do a lot of things now/dont' do things that I swore otherwise about. I never expected to be raising DD alone. I also have to be careful where I go as a single mum alone with a young child - that is also part of my responsibility. As I mentioned before, I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on this topic, but I am enjoying everyone's different points of view. I think it's great that this thread has remained a discussion and quite civil. That can only be saying good things about us on the UK board! :laughing:

:thumbsup2 I was a much better parent without children ;)

Kirsten

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter