Sci-Fi Dine-in is not for us!

I think it might be explained by a pp, if you love Sci-Fi you might not enjoy 50's, and vice versa :)

Call us crazy, but we love both. I think its like comparing apples and oranges though. They both are extremely well-themed and immersive, and I think even people who hate either restaurant would agree with that. The food is very different with Sci Fi having lighter, more basic fare like burgers and sandwiches. 50s has the heartier entrees, comfort food style. We are happy eating at either place and just book based on what we feel like.

Not every restaurant is for everyone and that's okay. One of the things I love most about Sci-Fi is how quiet it is. So quiet, dark and cool that it's one of my favourite getaways on a hot summer day.

My son and I are always the hitchhikers on the back row and it's never really bothered me much. Sure, you have to look at the back of strangers heads, but it's no biggie. Although there was one time where we had a family of 4 in front of us, parents in the middle row and 2 girls (In the 5 - 8 range) in the first row. The mother had a full blown Disney meltdown - kids refusing to eat, husband was being a pain and they were about to miss a fastpass window and she lost it... lots of threatening to go back to the room, escalating to threatening to go to the airport to fly home and she ultimately ended up walking out. That was a bit uncomfortable. But any other time, it's been perfectly peaceful.

I’m honestly happy you don’t like Sci-Fi...the fewer fans, the more likely we’ll get a good ADR time :P

Seriously, different strokes for different folks. My family loved it there ( specifically for the quiet atmosphere and seating that restricts conversation...we like a break from the togetherness!).

Last edited:
im a solo traveler and im super comfortable almost everywhere - i eat out by myself all the time - travel or at home etc. this restaurant was the one place ive ever been kind of uncomfortable. i felt like i was encroaching on someone elses car. i know that wasnt the case, but when i was seated it was a car of one party and they all looked up at me. sometimes this happens with rides when people think they have all the seats, but those move so fast its fine. but its weird here. only reason i havent gone back.

yeah, no......I don't ever need to order 3/4 of that menu at a restaurant :) And I love Sci-Fi! I think it might be explained by a pp, if you love Sci-Fi you might not enjoy 50's, and vice versa :)

Ate at both of these for first times this trip just to see what all the talk is about...
Will say the 'table' at Sci Fi is a bit small and it is dark in there (like to see what I'm eating).. But other wise we enjoyed it. Didn't feel need to be really quiet,but it is quieter in there then most places.

Did 50's other day... While the food was ok, wasn't impressed with it. Had the sampler to try different things, everything on there could have been done much better.. (Popeyes is what was wishing for eating the fried chicken..).

What is REALLY awkward is when they sit strangers in "your" car...
At least you were all family in one car.

Yes this happened to us. I felt bad for the nice young couple seated with us and our young children. We made awkward conversation and it all just felt weird. This restaurant has a cute concept but was a 'one and done' for us a few years ago. Aside from the strangers being subjected to sitting with us, the place was too dark. I like/NEED to be able to see my food. I also still get teased, years later, about getting lost on my way back from the restroom. They all laugh about seeing me walking back and forth in front of and behind the screen (and past our car) all confused looking for our car. Its just too dark in that place!!!

We've been there twice in the last ten years and both times one of us got very sick after dinner. Which sucks because we like the atmosphere and it's so neat to sit in the little cars and watch the trailers.

Yes this happened to us. I felt bad for the nice young couple seated with us and our young children. We made awkward conversation and it all just felt wierd!
Unfortunately this isn’t just Sci-Fi, it’s courtesy of Disney trying to maximize every square inch of real estate to maximize profits. I travel with friends and family, we know each other extremely well, we all share a talent for sarcastic humour, lost on the people sitting or dining next to us. It’s hard not to eaves drop when you’re near to sitting in someone else’s dining party.

The quiet, dark, and trapped in the booth remarks make me scratch my head. You knew it was themed like a drive-in movie and you sit in cars - right? When I think of a drive-in movie in my car, I think of quiet... dark... and in small seats in my car. That's exactly what this place is and what makes it unique.
We ate at SciFi in 2016 and sat at a table inside a car. 5 of us (kids were 9, 11 13 at the time). My husband LOVED it and wanted to eat there this year until I showed him that most cars were NOT like what we had originally. He agreed it would be better for us to go to 50s Prime Time instead. Just saying, if someone saw pictures of our family they would have had no idea that most of the seating is so dramatically different. To this day I'm not sure how we got lucky like that.

Just checked in, as we have a reservation you are guaranteed a car, but it may be a table as opposed to the 3 rows of seats. Looking forward to a burger!

Just wanted to add you can ask for the 3 row as a preference, which is what we did. You just may need to wait a little longer.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this isn’t just Sci-Fi, it’s courtesy of Disney trying to maximize every square inch of real estate to maximize profits. I travel with friends and family, we know each other extremely well, we all share a talent for sarcastic humour, lost on the people sitting or dining next to us. It’s hard not to eaves drop when you’re near to sitting in someone else’s dining party.

its part of why ive avoided eating in germany too as a solo

l-hwdslpBYu0QNwA_M-h3EgNyvrrzL2lFwCZI7Ed02hRRRns2NZ48d6Np6XLRfRgtmg1UggXRcEbFcTRRM1QRKLozjcHvYfAz_jFo8OKqNDVt1J4wSuvMQoayNReI2IP1io-bm-_OQ=w2400

We ate at SciFi in 2016 and sat at a table inside a car. 5 of us (kids were 9, 11 13 at the time). My husband LOVED it and wanted to eat there this year until I showed him that most cars were NOT like what we had originally. He agreed it would be better for us to go to 50s Prime Time instead. Just saying, if someone saw pictures of our family they would have had no idea that most of the seating is so dramatically different. To this day I'm not sure how we got lucky like that.

There are maybe 4 or 5 (if that?) tables inside of cars. The vast majority of the restaurant are the 2 seater booths. If someone stumbled across pictures of ONLY the tables inside the car as seating during their research, they did not do their due diligence. Any review of Sci Fi will talk up the 2 seater booths because that's what makes it unique.

And FWIW, anyone is welcome to request the table inside of the car or the umbrella tables in the back if the 2 seater booths are not to their satisfaction. No sense in eating uncomfortably.

I'm of the opinion that dining at SciFi sounds a lot better when planning a trip than the actual experience turns out to be. We've done it a couple of times, but the seating arrangements just don't work for us. It is very nicely themed though.

We loved Sci Fi! My girls were in the front row, and DH and I were in the second. It was nice to sort of have a break from them, LOL. We had hitchhikers in the third row, but they were only there for half our meal. I would have also enjoyed one of the 6 person car tables, but I'm sure they don't put families of 4 there a lot.

DH's pet peeve at restaurants is when the table area feels too small for the dishes and when the server is slow to bring the check. This place failed on both counts, but the food was awesome. I LOVED my prime rib sandwich, but could only eat half. On a hot day the restaurant really hit the spot. I would say it made our day at HS.

The quiet, dark, and trapped in the booth remarks make me scratch my head. You knew it was themed like a drive-in movie and you sit in cars - right? When I think of a drive-in movie in my car, I think of quiet... dark... and in small seats in my car. That's exactly what this place is and what makes it unique.
Lol. Exactly what I was trying to say.

50's primetime is much better! Good choice!
Sorry, I disagree. I dont think its better. But to each their own. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter