Scotland Meets Thread (formerly Scotland: A Brave Adventure)

Hi Paul! So do the odds look good for the new tram to be up and running from the airport into Edinburgh by this June? (Our June 29 ABD fast approaches and I am working on pre-tour details!)

Plenty of testing of the trams at the moment and I believe they anticipate they will be running with passengers sometime in May. I am flying out to Florida in May so I will let you know on our return if they are indeed up and running from the airport.

Regards tours for others, I can highly recommend The Witchery Tours for a fun evening ghost tour.

http://www.witcherytours.com/

and The Real Mary King's Close tour which takes you underground of the city to see where and how people lived.

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/

Both located in the High Street/Royal Mile.

Plenty of testing of the trams at the moment and I believe they anticipate they will be running with passengers sometime in May. I am flying out to Florida in May so I will let you know on our return if they are indeed up and running from the airport.

Regards tours for others, I can highly recommend The Witchery Tours for a fun evening ghost tour.

http://www.witcherytours.com/

and The Real Mary King's Close tour which takes you underground of the city to see where and how people lived.

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/

Both located in the High Street/Royal Mile.
Thanks for the info! The Witchery Tours look really fun! And I was planning on doing the Real Mary King's Close, too. My hotel is right next to there (Fraser Suites).

Sayhello

As far as Hairy Coo, I think the site or somewhere said comparable tours ran 30 or 40 pounds. I cannot remember for sure but I think I gave somewhere close to one of those. You are gone a long time and the guide did quite a great job. It was very well worth what I paid in my opinion.
-
Arthur's Seat is quite the hike. I would think 1.5 - 2 hours from the Royal Mile back and forth (or a little closer from Holyrood) ... unless you are an expert hiker and waste no time. But it is a great view of the city and surrounding water up there. Calton Hill also gives you a much smaller view of the city if you are not feeling as energetic.

Loved Mary King's Close - amazing how people lived back then.

And don't forget to try Scotland's soda ..... Irn Bru

As far as Hairy Coo, I think the site or somewhere said comparable tours ran 30 or 40 pounds. I cannot remember for sure but I think I gave somewhere close to one of those. You are gone a long time and the guide did quite a great job. It was very well worth what I paid in my opinion.
-
Arthur's Seat is quite the hike. I would think 1.5 - 2 hours from the Royal Mile back and forth (or a little closer from Holyrood) ... unless you are an expert hiker and waste no time. But it is a great view of the city and surrounding water up there. Calton Hill also gives you a much smaller view of the city if you are not feeling as energetic.

Loved Mary King's Close - amazing how people lived back then.

And don't forget to try Scotland's soda ..... Irn Bru
Thanks! That at least gives me a ballpark figure. I'll bring 40 pounds and see what I feel like giving them. :) It sounds like a great tour.

I am no expert hiker, and even when I was in better shape, I was a dawdler. :) We'll see how adventurous I feel. Calton Hill is good to know about as an alternative!

I'll try to remember the Irn Bru. :thumbsup2 When in Scotland...

Do you feel like you had enough time in Edinburgh Castle on the trip? Should I check it out on my pre-days, or leave it for the ABD? I'll be there after the Military Tattoo, so we'll have the normal itinerary with the farewell dinner there.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Thanks! That at least gives me a ballpark figure. I'll bring 40 pounds and see what I feel like giving them. :) It sounds like a great tour.

I am no expert hiker, and even when I was in better shape, I was a dawdler. :) We'll see how adventurous I feel. Calton Hill is good to know about as an alternative!

I'll try to remember the Irn Bru. :thumbsup2 When in Scotland...

Do you feel like you had enough time in Edinburgh Castle on the trip? Should I check it out on my pre-days, or leave it for the ABD? I'll be there after the Military Tattoo, so we'll have the normal itinerary with the farewell dinner there.

Thanks!
Sayhello

I did not feel I had enough time as we had to get on to dinner, and it was all a bit rushed on the walk through. Wish I had visited there on my own beforehand. Guess it just depends on how bad you want to see what is inside.

Oh, I'm a native Scot so if anyone wants any questions answered, feel free and I'll do my best to help!! :)

2BNDisney said:
I did not feel I had enough time as we had to get on to dinner, and it was all a bit rushed on the walk through. Wish I had visited there on my own beforehand. Guess it just depends on how bad you want to see what is inside.
Thanks! That's what I wanted to know! Guess I'll check it out during my pre-days!

Sayhello

MinaEskobar said:
Oh, I'm a native Scot so if anyone wants any questions answered, feel free and I'll do my best to help!! :)
Thanks! I definitely will!

Sayhello

I don't have a restaurant suggestion, but I do have a drink suggestion :)

At the Balmoral hotel (where ABD stays in Edinburgh), they make the most incredible whiskey sour! I was blown away. I know what a normal whiskey sour is supposed to taste like (and what ingredients are in it) - but they made theirs slightly differently and it was like a slightly frothy orange Julius with whiskey. YUM!

Witchery by the Castle was a cool dining experience. For pub food we enjoyed The World's End Pub and also Whiski Bar & Restaurant.

Thanks, paddles and calypso! I'll be very near the Balmoral, so I'll have to pop in and try the whisky sour. Whiski Bar & Restaurant was one of the places I noticed as I was doing my research. Did you have any haggis during your travels? I think I can't visit Scotland without at least trying it. Maybe I won't tell DS what it's made of. ;)

You'll get to try haggis one night during a Disney dinner. My husband tried it and he thought it was ok - but not a favorite (I didn't partake since I'm vegetarian). :)

We're not on the Scotland ABD. I booked the Ireland trip. We're just spending a few days in Edinburgh before flying to Dublin for the tour.

Thanks, paddles and calypso! I'll be very near the Balmoral, so I'll have to pop in and try the whisky sour. Whiski Bar & Restaurant was one of the places I noticed as I was doing my research. Did you have any haggis during your travels? I think I can't visit Scotland without at least trying it. Maybe I won't tell DS what it's made of. ;)

You're welcome. I did have haggis and absolutely loved it! When we go back to Edinburgh this September I will be sure to order some again.

Hi everyone I am booked on the August 31, 2014 trip. I'm wondering the best way to visit Stirling Castle. Calypso you had a driver, can I ask how much? The train looks like another option. I have also glanced at the group tours but they return late and I'm not sure what time the welcome dinner is that night.

Thanks

Hi everyone I am booked on the August 31, 2014 trip. I'm wondering the best way to visit Stirling Castle. Calypso you had a driver, can I ask how much? The train looks like another option. I have also glanced at the group tours but they return late and I'm not sure what time the welcome dinner is that night.

Thanks

We visited Stirling Castle on the day our ABD started last year. Taking the train from Edinburgh is super easy, and the train station is right next door to the Balmoral. I can't remember which exact train we took, but we bought rountrip tickets from a live station agent who advised us. The train tickets were very reasonable in price. We left at around 10:00 in the morning and made it back around 4:00 or 4:30 in the afternoon. Friends we were with made it back an hour or so before us, but we chose to stay a little longer. The castle is a bit of a walk (15 or 20 minutes) from the station in Stirling, but you get to see a little of Stirling that way.

We visited Stirling Castle on the day our ABD started last year. Taking the train from Edinburgh is super easy, and the train station is right next door to the Balmoral. I can't remember which exact train we took, but we bought rountrip tickets from a live station agent who advised us. The train tickets were very reasonable in price. We left at around 10:00 in the morning and made it back around 4:00 or 4:30 in the afternoon. Friends we were with made it back an hour or so before us, but we chose to stay a little longer. The castle is a bit of a walk (15 or 20 minutes) from the station in Stirling, but you get to see a little of Stirling that way.

There are also reasonably priced tours from Edinburgh (and Glasgow) to Stirling Castle. Our most recent one was with Rabbies - they did a fantastic job! That tour was for most of the day and it was very reasonable - I'm pretty sure it was $50 or less. I enjoyed hearing the history from our guide.

There are also reasonably priced tours from Edinburgh (and Glasgow) to Stirling Castle. Our most recent one was with Rabbies - they did a fantastic job! That tour was for most of the day and it was very reasonable - I'm pretty sure it was $50 or less. I enjoyed hearing the history from our guide.

While we did not use Rabbie's for Stirling Castle, we did use Rabbie's for a day trip to St. Andrews and the fishing villages of Fife. Would definitely recommend Rabbie's.

Thanks
Hi, bamagoofy! I'm on the same trip as you! (As is DISer Kat6783). Are you traveling alone? When do you arrive in Edinburgh? Depending on what you're doing, maybe we could meet up prior to the start of the ABD. I've added you to the Roll Call on the Meets thread for this trip.

While we did not use Rabbie's for Stirling Castle, we did use Rabbie's for a day trip to St. Andrews and the fishing villages of Fife. Would definitely recommend Rabbie's.
I'll have to check out Rabbie's. I still wish I could find a good day trip of Edinburgh. I don't think the ABD actually spends much time there.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter