Second Guessing

WDWFan06

Mouseketeer
I normally do not like to post open ended threads like this but I really am having second thoughts on a trip I have planned and would like some friendly feedback.

I am traveling by myself in January for Marathon Weekend. I go every year and usually bring my mom or sister but neither of them could go this year. I registered for the race in the beginning of the year but I just booked my hotel back in September along with my flight. Everything I purchased is refundable at this point.

The problem is I have not really had time to train for this race - personal trip to Europe and traveling on the road for work for the past month have really affected my training for this race. I guess my question is would you go even though you are not fully ready for this? I suppose I can walk some of the race if I need to.

Just wondering if I should cancel and be strong next year. Thanks for the feedback in advance.

For a half marathon, if it was me, I would base my decision on how "not-trained" I was. If I truly haven't been running at all or only minimally, I would take a pass, but if I had been training (just missing a run or two here and there) and felt comfortable that I wouldn't be putting my body in harms way, then I would still run but treat it more as a training run (easy pace instead of race pace, even walk if need be). I definitely wouldn't try pushing myself during the run.

You mention the past month. How many miles did you get in this past month? What about the month prior? Also, what is your longest run in the past month?

If you had to run 10 miles today, could you? If yes, then get a 10 miler in some time between now and race weekend and a few other runs and you would more than likely be able to get through it. If no, do you think you can dedicate 4-5 runs a week and basically have no taper leading up to the race? Weekend long runs looking something like this:6, 8, 10, 8, Disney Half. The other question is, how excited would you be to make the trip alone? The last question is how important is keeping your streak alive of Disney races?

I would do it. You can always walk part or all of it.

Between January 2014 and '15 I participated in 6 Halfs, and was fully trained for one of them. I regret none. (I regret getting so sick for the Jan '14 WDW Half, so sick that I couldn't do anything to prepare for the second over St Pat's day, then making my brother run so slowly he got a blood blister for DL Half, etc, but I don't regret taking part in them)

Plus, hello solo trip! Total fun!

I think this is going to require an open ended answer. If you'd enjoy the solo trip then that makes it easier to decide to do the trip. I'd probably look into groups for other solo or travelers to hang out with.

How untrained are you? What was your pace when you trained. If you were a 14-16 mm before and haven't trained it'd be hard to pull of the half with not much training. If you were a 12minute milers or faster you could probably train enough in the remaining time to be able to finish it.

Thank you for the reply's everyone! I have decided to run. I've had some great long runs the past few weeks and I am ready to do this again. I also will not be traveling solo anymore as I found a friend to join. I am excited and ready for another great Run Disney trip. Safe travels to everyone heading down for Marathon Weekend.

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter