Secrets, Tips and Tricks for Alaska Cruises

For those who booked excursions outside Disney, please elaborate on the companies you booked through, locations and excursions. We're going on the May 2015 member cruise. Thanks! Can't wait to go!
We booked Chilkoot Charters for the White Pass Railroad in Skagway and did the bus up and train down. Unlike Disney this included lunch and going further into the Yukon. There's even an optional dogsled ride.
We booked Harv & Marv's for whale watching in Juneau and cannot say enough nice things. The boat only held our party of six plus Captain Liz. We had a humpback surface within 10ft of our boat. Liz was very friendly & knowledgeable. You really can't imagine how massive and beautiful whales are until you're up close. It was nice to only have our travel party and not have to fight for space to take pictures.
In Ketchikan my husband and I did Ketchikan Helicopter Tours. This was both of our favorite excursion. It's a three person helicopter so there's room for two passengers and the pilot. Ryan is the owner/pilot and couldn't be nicer. He flew us above fiords and up next to a waterfall. We saw goats, bears and of course salmon. We landed twice the first time we got out and explored and took pictures. The second time we landed in a stream and watched the salmon swim around us. It was an amazing time. We also booked Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours for the afternoon. The driver took us to the Salmon hatchery and we unfortunately missed seeing bears by a few minutes. There were a few pairs of Eagles in the area. Then we went to Potlack Totem Pole Park and walked around. And lastly we went to Scuttlers Cove which is beautiful. It's a rainforest where you can pick & eat fresh berries. The driver then dropped us off at Creek Street.
I hope this helps and I'd recommend looking up reviews on trip advisor.

Thanks so much for everyone providing tips. I cannot wait to experience it next year (31st August)

I've not heard anything bad about the whole thing so far. :)

I'm sure Disney wants to, but no.... there is no fireworks in Alaska due to the environment (wildlife and possibly the glaciers).

We are booking for next summer and I am planning on a verandah room, but wonder if there is any recommendation - port side or starboard? or does it not matter?

We are booking for next summer and I am planning on a verandah room, but wonder if there is any recommendation - port side or starboard? or does it not matter?

Generally you go up then down from Skagway and up and down from. Tracy Arm, so both sides are great both sides see everything. However our ship lingered circa 30 minutes port side at Tracy Arm and 10 mins on the turn starboard so a slight benefit there to the port.

I vote port side....
  • Longer Tracey Arm glacier viewing
  • More privacy when the ship is docked in Vancouver
  • Great view of Ketchikan when in port

I guess one advantage of starboard side is you can watch the salmon jumping in Ketchikan. Anyone know if you are allowed to throw a fishing line off your private balcony like those shore fisherman on the nearby bridge? I wonder if room service will cook it for you?

generally you go up then down from skagway and up and down from. Tracy arm, so both sides are great both sides see everything. However our ship lingered circa 30 minutes port side at tracy arm and 10 mins on the turn starboard so a slight benefit there to the port.

thanks!

I vote port side....
  • Longer Tracey Arm glacier viewing
  • More privacy when the ship is docked in Vancouver
  • Great view of Ketchikan when in port

I guess one advantage of starboard side is you can watch the salmon jumping in Ketchikan. Anyone know if you are allowed to throw a fishing line off your private balcony like those shore fisherman on the nearby bridge? I wonder if room service will cook it for you?

We were port side and watched the salmon jumping up the river.

Generally you go up then down from Skagway and up and down from. Tracy Arm, so both sides are great both sides see everything. However our ship lingered circa 30 minutes port side at Tracy Arm and 10 mins on the turn starboard so a slight benefit there to the port.

Our cruise it was the opposite. We had the long straight on view from Starboard. After reading the posts, I was ready to accept that we would likely not have as much of a view from our verandah so it was a bit of pixie dust to find we had the best seats.

Our cruise it was the opposite. We had the long straight on view from Starboard. After reading the posts, I was ready to accept that we would likely not have as much of a view from our verandah so it was a bit of pixie dust to find we had the best seats.

We were invited to the officers deck forward on seven do had a head on view all afternoon, I guess you can on,y plan up to a certain level and the captain on the DSY is in charge and can change things.

I don't have a chance to read thru this whole thread, but, I will and take lots of notes...first time to Alaska and I am so very excited:)

Thanks to everyone who has posted thus far. We will be on this cruise 06/01/15! We still have so many decisions to make. :eek:

Thanks for all the wonderful information. Seems as though since there aren't as many sailings in Alaska, the information is limited as well.

Anyone have information on the shows?
Pixar night...nothing like pirate night? No one dressing up, etc.?
Speaking of dressing up...only one formal night? Semi formal? Rest is cruise casual? (My cruise casual has always been sundresses and sandals. This Alaska thing is totally confusing me!):confused3

Thanks for all the wonderful information. Seems as though since there aren't as many sailings in Alaska, the information is limited as well.

Anyone have information on the shows?
Pixar night...nothing like pirate night? No one dressing up, etc.?
Speaking of dressing up...only one formal night? Semi formal? Rest is cruise casual? (My cruise casual has always been sundresses and sandals. This Alaska thing is totally confusing me!):confused3

I went to Alaska during the first-ever summer of Pixar nights instead of pirate nights. Not too many people dressing up, although there were some kids wearing Pixar gear. The party was cute, although it was indoors.

Beyond that, yes. One formal night, one semi-formal, the rest casual. Admittedly, because of the setting, I found that on the Alaska cruise people in general were a little more casual than on other cruises we've been on.

What a fantastic trip. Someday we'll go back :)

I know in other areas whale spotting is much more prevalent during the winter months. Is this true for Alaska as well? We sail in July and I didn't know what to expect.

I know in other areas whale spotting is much more prevalent during the winter months. Is this true for Alaska as well? We sail in July and I didn't know what to expect.

I don't know what is "more" or less....but seems like I saw whales nearly ever day last August. My family still laughs that I woke everyone up exclaiming "Whales!" from the verandah...I must confess, I was a bit like a kid :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter