Securing personal ECV

Racefan1

Earning My Ears
I know you can't lock your ECV to anything at Disney but can you lock the wheels together so nobody could push it away while you're on a ride

No, because the CMs often need to move your ECV from one location to another. For example on Mickey a f Minnies Ruba Away Railway from the loading area to the unloading area or may need to move them for operational concerns, maybe it is too far into a walkway, etc.

Actual scooter theft is rare at Disney. It's more likely someone might accidentally take a scooter if it's the same model/similar to theirs. The best way to avoid this is to bring something colorful (like a scarf, ribbon, etc.) and tie it to the scooter handle. The more unique the item, the better. This helps to "customize" your scooter to avoid someone else taking it by accident.

As @Evita_W explained, locking a scooter can cause problems since cast members periodically move your scooter or "neaten up" the scooter/stroller parking area. If the scooter is locked so it can't be moved, it's possible the scooter could be damaged accidentally when a CM tries to move it.

Another thing to consider is hiding a tracking device on the scooter so you can at least find it if it was moved or accidentally taken by someone else. I've used both AirTag and Tile tracking devices in the past. These devices have apps for your smart phone that let you track your device. The app has the ability to tell you where your tracker is and to play a sound on the tracker, which would be helpful in finding it once you got closer.

PP are correct. CMs need to be able to move your ECV. Master keys are available for many scooters. Theft doesn't seem to be an issue. A thief doesn't know if you'll be coming back in 2 minutes or 20 minutes.

Do you have a very expensive specialty ECV. I guess renting.a scooter at WDW might be a solution

I have never seen a really expensive ECV in the parks. Now, expensive wheelchairs? That's a whole different matter! A power wheelchair with certain features can exceed $30,000 retail. I do wish there were better ways of securing at least the electronic functions (Locking the electronic functions would make it less interesting of a target, and more people would likely question why such a wheelchair was being pushed).

Actual scooter theft is rare at Disney. It's more likely someone might accidentally take a scooter if it's the same model/similar to theirs. The best way to avoid this is to bring something colorful (like a scarf, ribbon, etc.) and tie it to the scooter handle. The more unique the item, the better. This helps to "customize" your scooter to avoid someone else taking it by accident.

As @Evita_W explained, locking a scooter can cause problems since cast members periodically move your scooter or "neaten up" the scooter/stroller parking area. If the scooter is locked so it can't be moved, it's possible the scooter could be damaged accidentally when a CM tries to move it.

Another thing to consider is hiding a tracking device on the scooter so you can at least find it if it was moved or accidentally taken by someone else. I've used both AirTag and Tile tracking devices in the past. These devices have apps for your smart phone that let you track your device. The app has the ability to tell you where your tracker is and to play a sound on the tracker, which would be helpful in finding it once you got closer.
Scooter theft is on the rise though, but mostly at resorts when people leave them unattended overnight in public spaces.

You don't want to create a security issue. That could have some complex unintended impacts.
That reminds me of a night at HHN back when my dad was still using a scooter. He parked it (not locked or anything) in one area while he walked through 3 houses. I guess he was gone too long, because when we got back to the scooter, there were several security guards going over it carefully with a flashlight. He retrieved it and all was well, but even just leaving a scooter for too long can raise eyebrows. Locking it would definitely be an issue.

I have never seen a really expensive ECV in the parks. Now, expensive wheelchairs? That's a whole different matter! A power wheelchair with certain features can exceed $30,000 retail. I do wish there were better ways of securing at least the electronic functions (Locking the electronic functions would make it less interesting of a target, and more people would likely question why such a wheelchair was being pushed).

It’s interesting how many joysticks actually do have a security function; even some of the cheaper “folding lawn chair” style electric chairs have joysticks with an anti-theft function programmed in. Often you have to press 2 keys at the same time, or a certain series of keys to both lock and unlock. I worry less when at Disney World, but my favorite mobility device costs “only” $3500 or so (out of pocket) to replace, so…

Where did you hear that
I have no knowledge, but I wonder if the thefts are scooters being moved out of the way of the main hallway to a more open area. Some hallways I wonder if a scooter and a double stroller could fit side by side. Maybe someone just moved it????

Where did you hear that?
DH has heard it from Gold mobility and confirmed with security, this mostly is happening when people leave scooters in the hallways oat hotels (or outside at the hotels without hallways) overnight because thieves have come to realize that scooter keys are pretty much universal and if all else fails they can just put it in neutral.

I have no knowledge, but I wonder if the thefts are scooters being moved out of the way of the main hallway to a more open area. Some hallways I wonder if a scooter and a double stroller could fit side by side. Maybe someone just moved it????
No, security has confirmed that there is a rise in theft from the hotels in particular.

I put a tshirt over the back of my seat. It makes it stand out and it helps me not to feel uncomfortable in the heat.

I put a tshirt over the back of my seat. It makes it stand out and it helps me not to feel uncomfortable in the heat.
I did that with a "good" cheap t shirt. And we hung a backpack on the back. I think the pressure and sway of the backpack rubbed the tshirt against a piece on the scooter and I ended up with a hole.

So use a shirt that you don't mind perhaps ending up damaged.

No, security has confirmed that there is a rise in theft from the hotels in particular.
Thefts from inside hotel rooms? From the pool area? Outside restaurants including QS.

I always thought leaving scooter in the hall was not only not acceptable but encouraged theft.

I didn't realize this extended to public areas. ECV left for a limited amount of time.

While I realize the DISboards is really only a small fraction of the guests who visit WDW any given year, I do think that if ECV theft was any sort of problem we'd have at least a couple of reports about it. Can it happen? Yes. Does it happen? Probably. But again without direct reports of such incidents it seems to be a very low probability.

When staying at a resort or hotel (any resort or hotel), it is always prudent to put the ECV in your room for the night rather than leaving it in a public space where you cannot control access to the device. If you wouldn't leave your laptop in the hallway, why trust a medical device to be safe from theft or damage.

I have used an ECV at Disney for about four years now, and have never had any difficulty. Prior to that, my Dad and step-mother used ECV's for several years, also with no problems. We have left them in ride areas for short periods while riding, as directed by the cast members, and outside restaurants for longer periods, also in the spots where we were told to place them. I have used an ECV on board the Starcruiser and at Aulani with no problems. We bring the ECV's into the room at night to re-charge them. Disney security is quite good, I believe. I don't use an ECV at home or work, so these were all rentals. Disney has suggested different companies over the years. I think it was Walker Mobility initially and now ScooterBug. An advantage of ScooterBug if you can use them is that their ECV's have a very tight turning radius. If you can use a rental, that might be a good approach. The company will have a record of the serial number of the ECV they have rented to you. They deliver them right to your resort hotel and you can pick them up and drop them off there. We have never had any difficulty with that.

I’ve been taking my own ECV to WDW for @10 years - multiple times a year - I’ve never had a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter