Securing personal ECV

Thefts from inside hotel rooms? From the pool area? Outside restaurants including QS.

I always thought leaving scooter in the hall was not only not acceptable but encouraged theft.

I didn't realize this extended to public areas. ECV left for a limited amount of time.
As I stated previously, this is with ECVs that were left in hallways or outdoors overnight, which is why I would strongly advise against doing so, aside from the fire hazard issues.

On a related note, any tips to keep CM from trying to use my joystick? I resorted to taking it off (kind of a pain) my last visit. Pretty new to having an electric wheelchair. Its the folding kind and easily pushed. It’s very hard to navigate with the joystick if you aren’t seated in it + I don’t want people who have been touching other peoples stuff/public surfaces touching my joystick. I thought of maybe cutting off the end of a sock and just covering it…

On a related note, any tips to keep CM from trying to use my joystick? I resorted to taking it off (kind of a pain) my last visit. Pretty new to having an electric wheelchair. Its the folding kind and easily pushed. It’s very hard to navigate with the joystick if you aren’t seated in it + I don’t want people who have been touching other peoples stuff/public surfaces touching my joystick. I thought of maybe cutting off the end of a sock and just covering it…

CMs most likely won't touch the joystick on your device. If it makes you feel better, you could put a clear shower cap over it (that's what I use for rainy days) or an old sock, I suppose.

*If* a CM has to move your personal mobility device, they will likely find the red lock/unlock levers (on power chairs) or the brakes (on ECVs) and they will usually push the device out of the way. By simply applying more pressure when pushing to one side or the other, they can "steer" without touching the controls.

Generally speaking, you will see CMs moving around strollers way more than anything else. Just ask any CM in the area where you can park so that your device won't need to be moved, and it should be just fine.

CMs most likely won't touch the joystick on your device. If it makes you feel better, you could put a clear shower cap over it (that's what I use for rainy days) or an old sock, I suppose.

*If* a CM has to move your personal mobility device, they will likely find the red lock/unlock levers (on power chairs) or the brakes (on ECVs) and they will usually push the device out of the way. By simply applying more pressure when pushing to one side or the other, they can "steer" without touching the controls.

Generally speaking, you will see CMs moving around strollers way more than anything else. Just ask any CM in the area where you can park so that your device won't need to be moved, and it should be just fine.
I’ve taken it to Disney just once so far and multiple times at rides CM attempted to use the joystick to move it, which is why I’m asking :) I have to take it all the way through queues and then leave it with CM while I ride. Thanks for the advice!

If you unlock the wheels prior to leaving the device, you'll minimize CM's using the joystick. If you don't unlock the wheels, they need to either use the joystick or know how to unlock the wheels.

If you unlock the wheels prior to leaving the device, you'll minimize CM's using the joystick. If you don't unlock the wheels, they need to either use the joystick or know how to unlock the wheels.
I did unlock the wheels each time. Was really surprised so many people went for the joystick. Much harder to control that way and you’d think they would try to avoid touching a part of the chair the user obviously touches.

I did unlock the wheels each time. Was really surprised so many people went for the joystick. Much harder to control that way and you’d think they would try to avoid touching a part of the chair the user obviously touches.

To make sure that no one comes into contact with the control for your device, I would strongly recommend applying either a disposable shower cap, or perhaps a plastic bag over the control before you step away from the device.

When you return, you can remove the protective covering, and feel more assured that no one has directly touched the control surface.

CMs will do what they must to keep areas clear, and tidy. If you want to make sure no one touches your device, ask a CM where to park so that "no one bothers my personal device". They will direct you where to park - but be prepared to walk a bit further in that case.

Yes, I will cover it. Shower cap is a good idea. I am not parking it anywhere. The only time I leave the chair behind is when I get on a ride. I take it all the way up to the loading station/ride vehicle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter