Sept, Oct, Nov F&W Meets - Will There Be Disers At Your Event?

I don't really think they ever anticipated much of any kids attending PFTS, at least that is IMO. I say this because whenever we go, they have to send someone to fetch the cups for the kids-they are not right at the table with the wine glasses. I think the reason they won't give out the wine glasses is for legal reasons since they are not id'ing anyone once inside and theoretically an almost, but not quite 21 kid could get served. Not sure how it would work to ask them to hold the glass until you leave since the table that is set up when you enter, where all the glasses are given out, is not there when you leave the party. They charge the same price no matter adult or child for the party. I certainly would love the option of getting a Dixie cup for the kids and then picking up wine glasses afterwards, maybe this is a suggestion to Disney for next year (or to at least offer a more attractive alternative to teens than a sippy cup). :confused3
:

To be honest, its not that hard to be served at Disney when you are not 21, especially at a F&W Special Event.

Well, I'm glad we started talking about this! LOL! :rotfl: I might not tell my 15 year old son that he has to walk around with a sippy cup, just to see the expression on his face! :lmao: Actually, I don't think my kids will care. They will probably like them if they look anything like the ones you got last year. It's just a shame that we can't get the same crystal glasses since we are paying the same amount. I will definitely say something when we get there. I would be more than happy come back to pick up the kids wine glasses after the party. Hmmmmmm....

I think I'll write an email to the PFTS event coordinator, just to be a stinker...

-Michelle

I don't know how old your kids are, but they won't give kids a wine glass unless they have proof they are of legal drinking age. They give out a Mickey Mouse sippy type of cup to all kids (even the teens). At least this is what they did in years past through last year. Here's what the cups look like for the under 21 crowd:

Summer2007097.jpg

Summer2007096.jpg

I agree though...they really should offer something for you to take your wine glass home safely like they do if you buy the souvenir mug/glass at CRT. Maybe next year they will institute something. Like others, we wedge the glasses in with laundry and have never had a problem with breakage (yet-lol!).

Well, I'm glad we started talking about this! LOL! :rotfl: I might not tell my 15 year old son that he has to walk around with a sippy cup, just to see the expression on his face! :lmao: Actually, I don't think my kids will care. They will probably like them if they look anything like the ones you got last year. It's just a shame that we can't get the same crystal glasses since we are paying the same amount. I will definitely say something when we get there. I would be more than happy come back to pick up the kids wine glasses after the party. Hmmmmmm....

I think I'll write an email to the PFTS event coordinator, just to be a stinker...

-Michelle

Do the kids have to carry around the cup to get a soft drink? Or do they serve the drinks in plastic cups? I would think at 18/19/20 that would be pretty embarrassing. Still at $135 a pop, I'd want that darn wine glass!!!

-Michelle

The first time my kids were a bit taken back (momentarily anyway)...but since they didn't seem to have a choice, they lived with it. They really should offer something else though for an alternative. One year we went with some friends and one was a recovering alcoholic-although a huge foodie...they took the glass and just asked a server to fill it with soda...but I'll bet if they just offered maybe a glass mug or other type of cup, it would have been nicer. Would you mind sharing that email address? I think I'd like to send my thoughts to Disney as well on the PFTS.

To be honest, its not that hard to be served at Disney when you are not 21, especially at a F&W Special Event.

I don't doubt that, although I never had an opportunity to put that to the test personally. I guess Disney does try and go through the motions though in an effort to serve only those of legal age. No doubt that some determined underage drinkers slip through.

Back to shoes. I wish I was going to the same party with all of you Croc wearing gals!!! I have plantar fasciitis so it's nothing but Birks for me. I already have these. Do y'all think they are too ugly to wear with a cute skirt?
http://groundedsoles.com/productimage/95010.html

And I just bought these?
http://groundedsoles.com/productimage/4079.html
I have a rhinestone buckle on another pair like these (baby blue pair) that I never wear. I'm thinking of having the rhinestone buckle put on the black sandals to dress them up. These would probably be my most comfortable option. What do y'all think?

Honestly I think that the Birks are nicer on the eye than the Crocs (JMHO...please, nobody stone me to death-I'm a Croc owner too). Birks have been coming out with some better designs in recent years. I work for a podiatrist part time doing medical transcription so I understand completely about needing comfy footwear. I like the black sandals in the first pic best and I don't even think they look like your typical Birks...the rhinestone buckle on the other pair sounds very pretty too. :)

Do the kids have to carry around the cup to get a soft drink? Or do they serve the drinks in plastic cups? I would think at 18/19/20 that would be pretty embarrassing. Still at $135 a pop, I'd want that darn wine glass!!!

We always had a server/attendant (not sure what the apporpriate term is) that came over to whatever table we were sitting at and ask the kids if they wanted a refill. They would come back with a pitcher and pour into the kids cups. I don't think there was any booth that they could go up to that they could get a refill at though. I hope they changed that this year. One thing I will say, last year we did encounter a bit of a hard time getting those soda refills for the kids, but in years prior to that, we didn't have an issue.

Don't worry, I'm going to try to get them! :thumbsup2

The first time my kids were a bit taken back (momentarily anyway)...but since they didn't seem to have a choice, they lived with it. They really should offer something else though for an alternative. One year we went with some friends and one was a recovering alcoholic-although a huge foodie...they took the glass and just asked a server to fill it with soda...but I'll bet if they just offered maybe a glass mug or other type of cup, it would have been nicer. Would you mind sharing that email address? I think I'd like to send my thoughts to Disney as well on the PFTS.

I sent you a PM... but I'll post the email address here, too...

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

I tried to find an email address for Food & Wine Events and couldn't find one. I'll be stopping in at the Festival Welcome Center and talking to a manager... ::yes::

We always had a server/attendant (not sure what the apporpriate term is) that came over to whatever table we were sitting at and ask the kids if they wanted a refill. They would come back with a pitcher and pour into the kids cups. I don't think there was any booth that they could go up to that they could get a refill at though. I hope they changed that this year. One thing I will say, last year we did encounter a bit of a hard time getting those soda refills for the kids, but in years prior to that, we didn't have an issue.

We'll keep our PFTS server busy with 5 teens! LOL! :rotfl: The refills will be flowing... ;)

I don't really think they ever anticipated much of any kids attending PFTS, at least that is IMO.

I agree. Honestly, a wine tasting event seems a strange place to take underage kids, but whatever, if Disney didn't want them there, they could always make it 21 and up. I don't mind so long as they are well-behaved and absolutely NOT drinking.

Honestly I think that the Birks are nicer on the eye than the Crocs (JMHO...please, nobody stone me to death-I'm a Croc owner too). Birks have been coming out with some better designs in recent years. I work for a podiatrist part time doing medical transcription so I understand completely about needing comfy footwear. I like the black sandals in the first pic best and I don't even think they look like your typical Birks...the rhinestone buckle on the other pair sounds very pretty too. :)

ITA. I have suffered from plantar fasciitis, so I too understand needing comfy footwear, but really, there are so many shoes out there now that are very comfortable, even orthotic shoes, that are much more appropriate than Crocs for a dressy evening. Shovan - those first sandals are a perfect example, very cute and feminine, and even the second ones are a lot more attractive than Crocs.

JMHO too, and I really don't care what other people wear, but I figure people are asking/posting on here about what they are wearing because they want feedback. I'm just telling you what I personally would wear. As for those of you that are comfortable in Crocs for all occasions, more power to you, it appears from these boards you will have plenty of company. If you're happy, I'm happy (please, no stonings here either :goodvibes)!

I agree. Honestly, a wine tasting event seems a strange place to take underage kids, but whatever, if Disney didn't want them there, they could always make it 21 and up. I don't mind so long as they are well-behaved and absolutely NOT drinking.

If PFTS was just a wine tasting event, my teens would not be attending. I know they will enjoy the good food and Cirque performances. :goodvibes

ITA. I have suffered from plantar fasciitis, so I too understand needing comfy footwear, but really, there are so many shoes out there now that are very comfortable, even orthotic shoes, that are much more appropriate than Crocs for a dressy evening. Shovan - those first sandals are a perfect example, very cute and feminine, and even the second ones are a lot more attractive than Crocs.

JMHO too, and I really don't care what other people wear, but I figure people are asking/posting on here about what they are wearing because they want feedback. I'm just telling you what I personally would wear. As for those of you that are comfortable in Crocs for all occasions, more power to you, it appears from these boards you will have plenty of company. If you're happy, I'm happy (please, no stonings here either :goodvibes)!

Hey whatever. I'll see how I'm feeling that day and will decide what I'm going to wear on my feet at that time. To each, their own. :hippie: No worries!

Thanks for all the input on the shoes!!! I'm glad that everyone doesn't think those are too awful! I sure hope I didn't start another debate on whether or not certain types of shoes are ugly or not! For me, the birks are the only kind of shoe that I can manage to walk in at all. And I've tried everything from several different expensive orthotics to every kind of shoe on the market. I know that other's with the same problems who swear by the Crocs, so I know whatever works, is cool with me!! :hippie:

I also applaud you parents who are introducing your young people to something besides McDonald's!!!! :thumbsup2 I think the PFTS is a great place for them to get to try so many different types & styles of food!!!

We have attended wtih friends who have a teenager. He loved the event as much as we did....at the end of the night, they went to the staff and he was given an empty wine glass as he walked out....Or his parents were.

I think he will be stocking his college apartment with PFTS wine glasses....:thumbsup2

Thank you! :hug: That's one less thing to worry about. I hope we will be able to do the same at the end of the night. :goodvibes

We have attended wtih friends who have a teenager. He loved the event as much as we did....at the end of the night, they went to the staff and he was given an empty wine glass as he walked out....Or his parents were.

I think he will be stocking his college apartment with PFTS wine glasses....:thumbsup2

Honestly I think that the Birks are nicer on the eye than the Crocs
there are so many shoes out there now that are very comfortable, even orthotic shoes, that are much more appropriate than Crocs for a dressy evening. Shovan - those first sandals are a perfect example, very cute and feminine, and even the second ones are a lot more attractive than Crocs.
I've had chronic plantar fasciitis for over 15 years. I had surgery 16 years ago on my left foot, and stayed in a cast for 7 weeks with no weight bearing (I was working on my feet in a hospital at the time, so that meant no income). Thankfully, I work in pharmaceutical research now, so I'm no longer on my feet, but since PFTS is my first day at Disney, I don't want to risk doing anything that would put the rest of my trip in jeapordy, and fashion just isn't worth it to me. I'm just not a slave to Clinton and Stacy, ya' know?

Since we get off the plane, check in, and go straight to Epcot, I guess I'll be wearing what I wore on the plane and will have to hope for the best. Is it really that dressy?? When I asked the Disney folks that took the reservation, it sounded like polo shirt/decent pants for the guys and business casual, emphasis on the casual, for women. I mean, is this "Sunday go-to-meeting" dressy (hey, I'm from the South!), or daytime wedding dressy, or business cocktail party dressy? I'll still be in my baby pink Crocs.

PS - I wore Birks for 15 years, and they're the best for plantar fasciitis, hands down. The problem for me is that they just don't have any cushioning, and if I have to be on my feet for a long time (which to me is more than 15 - 30 minutes), it really helps to have the cush of the truly ugly, but truly cushy, Croc. It helps that I'm an RN, and you see almost nothing else in the hospital on everyone from the neurosurgeons to housekeeping, in every color of the rainbow, so I guess I'm just used to them, even though I don't work in a hospital. Before Crocs, it was Birks, and they were sufficiently ugly back then that I got over my shoe vanity. :rotfl:

I've had chronic plantar fasciitis for over 15 years. I had surgery 16 years ago on my left foot, and stayed in a cast for 7 weeks with no weight bearing (I was working on my feet in a hospital at the time, so that meant no income). Thankfully, I work in pharmaceutical research now, so I'm no longer on my feet, but since PFTS is my first day at Disney, I don't want to risk doing anything that would put the rest of my trip in jeapordy, and fashion just isn't worth it to me. I'm just not a slave to Clinton and Stacy, ya' know?

Since we get off the plane, check in, and go straight to Epcot, I guess I'll be wearing what I wore on the plane and will have to hope for the best. Is it really that dressy?? When I asked the Disney folks that took the reservation, it sounded like polo shirt/decent pants for the guys and business casual, emphasis on the casual, for women. I mean, is this "Sunday go-to-meeting" dressy (hey, I'm from the South!), or daytime wedding dressy, or business cocktail party dressy? I'll still be in my baby pink Crocs.

PS - I wore Birks for 15 years, and they're the best for plantar fasciitis, hands down. The problem for me is that they just don't have any cushioning, and if I have to be on my feet for a long time (which to me is more than 15 - 30 minutes), it really helps to have the cush of the truly ugly, but truly cushy, Croc. It helps that I'm an RN, and you see almost nothing else in the hospital on everyone from the neurosurgeons to housekeeping, in every color of the rainbow, so I guess I'm just used to them, even though I don't work in a hospital. Before Crocs, it was Birks, and they were sufficiently ugly back then that I got over my shoe vanity. :rotfl:

I wish the crocs would fit me, I have very narrow feet & every style I've tried is still way too wide. I really could use some cushioning as the pads on the bottom of my feet are breaking down, but anything that flexes too much hurts like heck!

Last year some people went cocktail dressy, some wore there "dress" shorts. I wore a black cotton skirt, rhinestone mickey t & black birkie sandals. DH wore a casual button down shirt, & dockers pants. We felt appropriately dressed. I'll pm you a picture of the people at our table.

Thanks for all the input on the shoes!!! I'm glad that everyone doesn't think those are too awful! I sure hope I didn't start another debate on whether or not certain types of shoes are ugly or not! For me, the birks are the only kind of shoe that I can manage to walk in at all. And I've tried everything from several different expensive orthotics to every kind of shoe on the market. I know that other's with the same problems who swear by the Crocs, so I know whatever works, is cool with me!! :hippie:

I say wear what you are comfortable in. I agree that what works for one person may not work for another even though they may have the very same condition. I'm no slave to fashion either-my comfort is much more important and I really could care less what anyone else wears-I'm interested in the food, wine and entertainment and having a good time.

I also applaud you parents who are introducing your young people to something besides McDonald's!!!! :thumbsup2 I think the PFTS is a great place for them to get to try so many different types & styles of food!!!

All Ears had an article written by a kid about attending PFTS a couple years ago and I know I had read another review by a kid in another Disney forum of some sort (can't recall what one at the moment)-that is what made us take our own kids, so it is definitely not a rare thing to go with kids. We have also gone with couples that don't drink, but they thoroughly enjoy the food and entertainment, as do our children. Its definitely a great family experience IMO and it seems as the years go by that more and more people are making it a family event and not just an adults only thing. My kids also like the face painting and juggling lessons they have in the lobby of PFTS. :dance3:

I say wear what you are comfortable in. I agree that what works for one person may not work for another even though they may have the very same condition. I'm no slave to fashion either-my comfort is much more important and I really could care less what anyone else wears-I'm interested in the food, wine and entertainment and having a good time.

All Ears had an article written by a kid about attending PFTS a couple years ago and I know I had read another review by a kid in another Disney forum of some sort (can't recall what one at the moment)-that is what made us take our own kids, so it is definitely not a rare thing to go with kids. We have also gone with couples that don't drink, but they thoroughly enjoy the food and entertainment, as do our children. Its definitely a great family experience IMO and it seems as the years go by that more and more people are making it a family event and not just an adults only thing. My kids also like the face painting and juggling lessons they have in the lobby of PFTS. :dance3:

I'm realizing that I never notice what other people are wearing especially on their feet! It's probably that I'm always so annoyed that I'm not be able to wear really cute shoes, that makes me worry about wearing the birks.
I know at the PFTS, I'll be much too interested in getting around to all of the great food & wine to even notice what anyone has on their feet!!! :goodvibes

A food review from a kid! That's really neat!

Getting ready to head out, wanted to check the thread for other party goers..

Thought I'd share -

I sent an email a month ago requesting packing material for our glasses - and at $135 a better selection of wines ( the price point last year dipped dramatically compared to previous years) I felt insulted and thought we should do V&A chef table instead at this price...

However, I LOVE the atmosphere of PFTS -

I got a call (I used the email addy posted here) and imho she was quite snotty - like "we're already planned, no changes" but of course "we thank you and care about our guests opinions" yada yada... it was how she said it more than what she said...

but whatever, it was MY FAULT the glasses broke... and I made that clear - I also stated one year I paid an extra $10 and got 2 extra glasses + a bottle of wine, that were packed well - and I miss that option...

To my surprise on MONDAY I got a call from special event planner - she said she had received my email, and was sorry my glasses broke, but she personally found 2 glasses from last year and wanted to send them to me - and wanted to check my email addy- I stated how kind, but really it was MY FAULT my glasses broke, I was just hoping to bring to the attention that to include newsprint like IKEA does to wrap our glasses when we LEAVE the event instead of given a flimsy plastic shopping bag - I'd wrap myself, if they could just give me the option...

She couldnt have been kinder, and I was very touched at her thoughtfulness - and I intend to write to guest services when I get back (since I stopped my mail of course!) to let them know how above and beyond this was!!

So lets start writing those letters!!
make a change - just include even old newspapers to wrap in to add to those baggies!!

We'll be there the same night! - and I will most likely be wearing my black mary jane crocs with a black/white skirt and a shell. If I have room in my luggage, I may throw in a pair of dressier sandals, but whether or not I wear them depends on how my feet are feeling after a few days of walking all day in the parks - and I'd rather use the space to pack extra surprises for DGrD & DNeph! We did PFTS 2 years ago and found that the most standard dress was nice top and skirt or capris for the women (also lots of casual summer dresses) - polo or collared shirt and docker type pants for the men. And of course you will see everything from one extreme to the other, too - from evening gowns and suits to cut-off shorts and tee shirts. So wear what you're comfortable with - we feel that the effort and atmosphere warrant more than park clothes, but not to the point of 'dressy' (or uncomfortable) clothes. Maybe we'll see you there!

If I get to check in when we arrive on the 29th, I'll be in a skirt with a pastel yellow background with pink flowers, and a pastel yellow top, and the infamous baby pink crocks. Husband will be in a pastel pink polo. Yes, I'm making him wear pink in my honor! :rotfl: It will be Jenni Bug and Doodle in Pink! :laughing: :laughing: If we don't get to check in on arrival, look for me in a pastel pink top and brown pants.

We'll have LGMH name tag buttons (found blank buttons at Michael's, so I'm going to make them before we go), so we should be easy to spot! I'll have a burgundy and pink backpack with LGMH and lime green ribbon dangling from it somewhere (yep, I wanna' meet people!).

Look for us, and we'll look for you. I think we're going to skip the concert so we can line up for PFTS as early as possible. I'm so looking forward to this!!:banana:

Have a great time you guys!!! Don't forget to come back and tell us all about PFTS!!!

I just got a call from the F&W People./

The October 17th Food and Wine Pairing at the Seas Salon is now at Coral Reef!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter