September/October 2014 Roll Call

How is everyone's plans coming along?QUOTE]

Just wondering which airline everyone prefers for internal flights? I am flying out of LA to Vegas then onto Louisville, KY and back to LA.

I have checked out most airlines and their reviews and all as bad as each other, now very confused..... was going to look to Southwest or Virgin America or United.... any advice welcome:confused3

We have flown internally on JetBlue, Frontier, Southwest and Delta, I can't say any of them are better than the other I didn't like Southwests no seat selection but we paid for early boarding and I think if you fly them you just have to be aware and include it as part of your airfare what I did like about them was no change fee to change your flights which I changed 4 times in our 2012 trip lol if delta is the cheapest it's now our choice because it gives us status credits with virgin and DH is Platnium so we didn't pay for luggage. Honestly I would go with the airline that has the best time and price that suits you.

Well I bit the bullet and booked the Air NZ fares - not looking forward to the extra 3 hrs via Auckland and 2-3 weeks later than I wanted to travel but too good a price to ignore - bet the other airlines will do an equivalent deal in the time I wanted so that will benefit others of you still watching - lol. Took Wanderlust's advice and nabbed the two-some seats near the front of economy for $30 pp per flight as they are "preferred seats"- don't miss an opp do they!! But still - we're def going!!!!! yahoo (bar all the things that can go wrong between now and then such as dodgy parents still a concern!!) Now for the fun stuff-booking WDW and Universal, hoping for a room deal, choosing hotels, choosing a one week side trip (or just longer in Florida? saw a kayak trip that enticed me today)..lots of fun plus first a quickie to Melbourne at the end of March to see the flower show with PIO and visit a school friend of DH's in Hobart.

Well I bit the bullet and booked the Air NZ fares - not looking forward to the extra 3 hrs via Auckland and 2-3 weeks later than I wanted to travel but too good a price to ignore - bet the other airlines will do an equivalent deal in the time I wanted so that will benefit others of you still watching - lol. Took Wanderlust's advice and nabbed the two-some seats near the front of economy for $30 pp per flight as they are "preferred seats"- don't miss an opp do they!! But still - we're def going!!!!! yahoo (bar all the things that can go wrong between now and then such as dodgy parents still a concern!!) Now for the fun stuff-booking WDW and Universal, hoping for a room deal, choosing hotels, choosing a one week side trip (or just longer in Florida? saw a kayak trip that enticed me today)..lots of fun plus first a quickie to Melbourne at the end of March to see the flower show with PIO and visit a school friend of DH's in Hobart.

Congrats on taking the plunge! We are still weighing up our options... Pretty sure we'll go with the ANZ special in some shape or form though :thumbsup2

Yay for booking! I like that feeling you get after booking the flights because it pretty much means the trip is definitely going ahead.
That's a shame that AirNZ charge extra for those seats. Still, it should be worth it for the wider aisle, less passing traffic, and not having to sit next to a stranger. From what I understand, Air NZ flights do fly mostly full. So there is a good chance you would have had someone next to you had you had one of the usual economy seats.

So what dates have you decided on and how long is your trip in total?

Exciting times ahead. :)

Took Wanderlust's advice and nabbed the two-some seats near the front of economy for $30 pp per flight as they are "preferred seats"- don't miss an opp do they!!

Well done Wendy, I did same and booked same seats to/from, don't mind splitting trip up a bit... DD's think its great visiting 2 Countries in one day! LOL
:dance3:

I keep changing my mind on my itinerary, so unlike me :rotfl2: I think I've decided to take the kids to Boston for a few nights we haven't been there and we have been to NYC twice and fly out of there to London via Iceland and then go to Paris for a bit longer and take the train to Barcelona but it's all budget dependant I really need to work out the nitty gritty on paper and not in my head ;)

For anyone who didn't see my thread about United airlines - we have booked flights! Flying Melbourne to Orlando with stop overs in Sydney and San Francisco (about 2 hours in each, hopefully that will be enough time to clear customs!) and then on the way home we stop in LA and again in Sydney (only about 2 hours in LA and even less in Syd I think!).

So our official dates are departing Melbourne 14/10, spending 4 nights ? (first night at the Hyatt at MCO then maybe the other 3 at the Renaissance at Seaworld), 7 night DCL Eastern Caribbean cruise, 2 nights ? (thinking AoA maybe) then 16 nights at OKW and departing Orlando 12/11.

It starts to feel real to me once airfares are booked!

So we fly out via Auckland with Air NZ on 21st October. Plan to stay at an airport hotel as the night flight always knocks us around. Will book internal flights over to Orlando the next day -watching for deals at the moment. As I want to do WDW during Halloween decoration season and attend a MNSSHP think we will head there first. Will stay onsite - preference a moderate. Would like POFQ but will see what deals are on offer and change resorts to suit if need be. Then to Universal Studios/IOA (first visit) for HP mainly though not sure given new area opening summer what crowds will be like. Plan to stay at an onsite hotel to get the express pass. I would like to visit Discovery Bay (and then we get free entry to Seaworld anyway) if I can convince DH to spend the $. He wants to visit KSC so that's another day trip. Where to do the day trips from has to be decided (stay US area then just do 1 night at US hotel to get early entry both days? or 2 nights US hotel to make the most of it plus a couple of nights cheaper place?) We fly home on Sat 8th Nov as DH had to be back for work before G20.

I like to add something extra each trip rather than just theme parks though and bit unsure that we will really want to spend so much time all theme parks (almost sacrilege to say that on here I know sorry) so debating about stopping off in Phoenix on the way back and hiring a car and doing a short road trip (which we love) of those amazing slot canyons (thanks PIO) and Monument Valley or I admit it would make more sense to just stay in Florida the whole time. I have less interest in the Florida area though - maybe because we live in subtropical Qld, have done several trips north to north Qld and Darwin, so I find it hard to get excited about seeing alligators and seeing the Everglades swamps. I would have preferred mountains and national parks but this is the wrong time with many closed inbetween end of fall season and before snowy winter season or no access as may need snow chains and rentals don't allow that. I'd also quite like to do some of the US south but as part of a much longer road trip than I have time for. I always used to want to see New Orleans but looking at tourist info and its just not enthusing me now, not sure why.

Decisions, decisions!!!

Aussie Wendy, your post reads like something I could have wrote.

1. I understand how hard it can be trying to decide how long to spend at the theme parks vs other areas of the States.
2. I too love mountains more than swamp and beach areas.
3. I think PIO has a lot to answer for :lmao:

Grand Teton National Park could be worth considering, particularly if you head there for about 3 or 4 nights at the start of your stay. From what I understand it will still be open. But due to risk of snow, I would probably consider a couple of day tours as opposed to hiring a car.
You could base yourself in the Western town of Jackson which looks charming. The downside to this suggestion is that flights into Jackson are quite expensive.

Alternatively, I do like your idea of going to Monument Valley. That place PIO stayed looks pretty special.

Or perhaps a visit to see the Fall colours up in New England. That area of the States looks lovely.

Or, what about a 4 night cruise?

Sorry, just throwing ideas out there. :goodvibes

For anyone who didn't see my thread about United airlines - we have booked flights! Flying Melbourne to Orlando with stop overs in Sydney and San Francisco (about 2 hours in each, hopefully that will be enough time to clear customs!) and then on the way home we stop in LA and again in Sydney (only about 2 hours in LA and even less in Syd I think!).

So our official dates are departing Melbourne 14/10, spending 4 nights ? (first night at the Hyatt at MCO then maybe the other 3 at the Renaissance at Seaworld), 7 night DCL Eastern Caribbean cruise, 2 nights ? (thinking AoA maybe) then 16 nights at OKW and departing Orlando 12/11.

Sounds wonderful. :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

Sounds great! And glad to hear that United are finally going to be installing IFE :thumbsup2

So we fly out via Auckland with Air NZ on 21st October. Plan to stay at an airport hotel as the night flight always knocks us around. Will book internal flights over to Orlando the next day -watching for deals at the moment. As I want to do WDW during Halloween decoration season and attend a MNSSHP think we will head there first. Will stay onsite - preference a moderate. Would like POFQ but will see what deals are on offer and change resorts to suit if need be. Then to Universal Studios/IOA (first visit) for HP mainly though not sure given new area opening summer what crowds will be like. Plan to stay at an onsite hotel to get the express pass. I would like to visit Discovery Bay (and then we get free entry to Seaworld anyway) if I can convince DH to spend the $. He wants to visit KSC so that's another day trip. Where to do the day trips from has to be decided (stay US area then just do 1 night at US hotel to get early entry both days? or 2 nights US hotel to make the most of it plus a couple of nights cheaper place?) We fly home on Sat 8th Nov as DH had to be back for work before G20.

I like to add something extra each trip rather than just theme parks though and bit unsure that we will really want to spend so much time all theme parks (almost sacrilege to say that on here I know sorry) so debating about stopping off in Phoenix on the way back and hiring a car and doing a short road trip (which we love) of those amazing slot canyons (thanks PIO) and Monument Valley or I admit it would make more sense to just stay in Florida the whole time. I have less interest in the Florida area though - maybe because we live in subtropical Qld, have done several trips north to north Qld and Darwin, so I find it hard to get excited about seeing alligators and seeing the Everglades swamps. I would have preferred mountains and national parks but this is the wrong time with many closed inbetween end of fall season and before snowy winter season or no access as may need snow chains and rentals don't allow that. I'd also quite like to do some of the US south but as part of a much longer road trip than I have time for. I always used to want to see New Orleans but looking at tourist info and its just not enthusing me now, not sure why.

Decisions, decisions!!!

Yes, PIO does have a lot to answer for. I personally LOVE the idea of Phoenix and seeing some of the amazing things that PIO saw. And on the plus side, it's about as different as you can get to the Gold Coast :rotfl:

Sounds great! And glad to hear that United are finally going to be installing IFE :thumbsup2

Decisions, decisions!!!

Yes, PIO does have a lot to answer for. I personally LOVE the idea of Phoenix and seeing some of the amazing things that PIO saw. And on the plus side, it's about as different as you can get to the Gold Coast :rotfl:

Thanks guys. Yes that PIO.....
I was thinking originally of Fall colours Wanderlust but not sure the timing is right from a perusal of some of the web sites-we may be a bit late depending as always on what happens this year climate wise. But its not crossed out yet....now I have an excuse for all my dithering - I'm a Libran.

Hi

Would love to join the roll call :)

We have just booked our flights with VA leaving 6 October and returning 18 October and doing Anaheim and San Diego:
6 nights at Candy Cane Inn
3 nights San Diego not yet booked
3 nights HoJos

We plan on using Anaheim as a base and will do KBF, LA and hopefully Santa Monica. Visiting San Diego Zoo and Seaworld plus plenty of days shopping in there!

This trip it is just me and DD12 going with my friend and her two DDs. We went as a family in 2012 so I offered to be a guide for her for their trip ;)

beach club 21-25 sept
disney dream B2B 25 sept-2 oct
Bay lake tower 2-8 oct

:moped::moped:

12-20 Sept BWV :cool1:
20-27 Sept Disney Fantasy pirate:
5-9 Oct DLH Anaheim :dance3:

We're going the triple! :yay:

I'm a bit surprised that I can contribute to this thread as a month ago we weren't planning any trips this year, but I think a recent holiday to Hong Kong and Singapore in Dec/Jan reignited my travel bug, particularly the HK Disney part of the trip. :love:

But, long story short, we're flying from Brisbane to San Francisco on 17 September and then Los Angeles to Brisbane on 20 October. We're flying Virgin Australia, whom we've never used internationally before, so I'm a bit ambivalent about that. I've used them a few times domestically and wasn't terribly impressed. We got what I think was a pretty good airfare deal at the recent Travel Expo; at least $800 cheaper than anything I could find online (oddly enough Virgin was one of the dearest online :confused3).

We'll spend about 6 nights in SF and the last 2 weeks in Anaheim. In between, we hope to drive from SF to the Grand Canyon and maybe Las Vegas but haven't really started thinking about that portion yet. We haven't decided what to do in between the GC/LV and Anaheim parts. Maybe spend some time in LA itself and/or San Diego rather than taking day trips from Anaheim.

I'm hoping either Desert Palms & Suites or Candy Cane Inn come out with some good deals. We stayed at DP&S last time and really enjoyed it and the CCI always seems to get good reviews. Also hoping that Paradise Pier has a special as it was nice last time too - although not nice enough that I'm willing to pay $400+ per night this time. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter