• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sharing on dining plan

disneymom2one

All our dreams can come true, if we have the coura
Hi all... We have been to WDW 20+ times in the last eight years and are DVC members. We'll be getting the DDP for the first time in December. We are a family of three - me, my husband, and our one and only who will be 11 by then. We'll of course pay for the adult plan for her. But here's the thing ... it will be way too much food for us at TS places if we order three meals (I realize we have to use 3 or 6 credits at buffets and pre-plated places). Our plan at "regular restaurants" like Le Cellier is to order two full meals - appetizer/entree/dessert/drink and then split it between the three of us. There's just no way possible my daughter could eat her own full meal. She could easily share with us. At home we typically get a couple of adult entrees, and she'll either order a kid's meal or get an appetizer. We rarely get dessert when we go out to eat. Like most kids she doesn't eat a whole lot most of the time. So I'm assuming that sharing would be okay. Honestly we plan on doing the same thing with Quick/Counter service - ordering a couple of meals and then either an extra salad or kid's meal out of pocket. I just can't imagine restaurants would have a problem with this. I just don't want to waste food or credits nor do I think it's healthy in general for our family to have three desserts for example. The DDP is just a fun way for us to eat without worrying so much about prices but I still want to reasonably eat healthy. Thoughts?

We did the same thing last December when we were on the DP. We had four adults and three children 7, 8, and 10. We split a lot of CS and TS meals and never had a problem doing it. We also had our 10 y.o. order off the children's menu more often than not as he is a very picky and light eater.

Yes, you can order 2 meals and split them among 3 people. No problem at all. If your DD orders off the kid's menu, be sure to tell the server whether you want to pay OOP for that or you want him to charge it to the plan as a TS (if you are doing any signature places, you may want to pay OOP). Ditto if you get a 3rd beverage...pay OOP and save the credit.

At many of the restaurants, the appetizers are almost enough to be an entree.

We did the DDP in May (also our first time since it was just made available to DVC). We loved it, and enjoyed exploring a lot of new restaurants. I'd highly suggest that you share at sit down dinners and use the extra credits for either signature dinners or character breakfasts! Have fun.

Don't know where you're staying, but the flatbread at SSR is great! Also the sandwiches at Earl of Sandwich.

We will be doing the same thing. To be honest, we have always done this at Disney (even when we are not on the Dining Plan) and lots of times when we eat out at home. DH and I just can't seem to eat the full portion sizes. If we don't share, we overstuff ourselves, waste food and waste money.

I just saw that the CDC is advising restaurants in the US to start cutting their portion sizes since Americans eat too much.

According to a CSR I just spoke with sharing a credit is not allowed period, though, they have no problem if I only order an appetizer. Of course not, lol, it saves them money.

There is no way I can eat the portions they are offering. :(

Step said:
According to a CSR I just spoke with sharing a credit is not allowed period, though, they have no problem if I only order an appetizer. Of course not, lol, it saves them money.

There is no way I can eat the portions they are offering. :(

This is the absolute first I have heard of this .... can anyone else comment?

Not only have we been allowed to share but we have been encouraged to the point of even being congratulated at 50's primetime for only ordering 1 adult and 1 kids meal for the 4 of us and using the appetizers and deserts to make it be enough food rather than ordering 4 meals of food that was way too much.

I think the answer the poster got from the cm about sharing credits may have been the cm's confusion. People often like to treat others with their credits. While there doesnt seem to be anything in place to prevent that kind of sharing I THINK the intent is that that is not allowed. I'm thinking this too from the way you worded it...IF you share the food you ordered with a credit it is quite a different thing from "sharing the credit" itself.

When I called to add the dining plan to our package, I asked about sharing. They said not at buffets but at the other places where you order entrees you can.

Can you get your food boxed up "to go" if you can't finish it on the DDP? When I can't finish a meal at a restaurant at home that's what I do. Inevitably, it gets eaten the next day (usually as a brunch). I know it wouldn't be fun to be lugging food around Disney, but if you're headed back to your hotel anyhow then would it be possible to get your leftovers boxed up to go?

Absolutely you can get food boxed to go. We frequently just had our dessert brought "to go" from the kitchen, not even served at our table.

I'm glad this question came up. I was wondering the same thing because my sister had the lap band surgery and we were hoping she could share with someone or eat one of our appetizers.

We've had DDP twice now and we frequently shared. It's my mom, myself, and my DD6. We typically ordered 2 meals and shared. This way we could enjoy dessert. If we didn't share, we ended up taking the desserts back to the room (which of course meant we couldn't have anything cold-like ice cream.) :sad2: We also ended up throwing out several uneaten desserts when we checked out. This time we plan on sharing more so we can enjoy our desserts more.

Thanks for the great info. My DS rarely eats anything other than strawberries and steak medium rare so ordering a meal for him is just not practical.

I also don't like to eat a lot of food when it is hot outside. DH is going to find out why heat and food don't mix. Hopefully he will shed a few pounds. :cool1:

beth_cam said:
Not only have we been allowed to share but we have been encouraged to the point of even being congratulated at 50's primetime for only ordering 1 adult and 1 kids meal for the 4 of us and using the appetizers and deserts to make it be enough food rather than ordering 4 meals of food that was way too much.

I think the answer the poster got from the cm about sharing credits may have been the cm's confusion. People often like to treat others with their credits. While there doesnt seem to be anything in place to prevent that kind of sharing I THINK the intent is that that is not allowed. I'm thinking this too from the way you worded it...IF you share the food you ordered with a credit it is quite a different thing from "sharing the credit" itself.

No, I specifically asked if my husband and I could use one of our credits to share a meal (and then use another credit for a different meal later). I was told no, that was not allowed.

I suspect however, that the CSR would lose her job if she said it was allowed, and that the wait staff at restaurants let you bend the rules a bit depending on where you eat.

The thing is, I could eat the appetizer and be just fine. My dining plan is free though, so no worries. Not like I'm losing out if I eat less.

several of us have been encouraged on the phone to share meals. What i meant was that the CM may have interpreted the 'rule' of no sharing credits to mean no sharing at all. So even though you asked about sharing a meal she thought it applied to sharing meals as well. Besides the phone CM's are well known for their plethera of misinformation. Even though can I share or not has a yes or no answer i bet if several people were to call and ask it we would get several different answers.

Step said:
No, I specifically asked if my husband and I could use one of our credits to share a meal (and then use another credit for a different meal later). I was told no, that was not allowed.

I suspect however, that the CSR would lose her job if she said it was allowed, and that the wait staff at restaurants let you bend the rules a bit depending on where you eat.

The thing is, I could eat the appetizer and be just fine. My dining plan is free though, so no worries. Not like I'm losing out if I eat less.

I don't think that CSR knew what they were talking about. Except for buffets - why would Disney care if you shared your meals? It's the same amount of food either way. My DD and I have always shared meals - and that's out of pocket where it is cutting into their profits! So it certainly wouldn't matter if you share prepaid meals!!

I just called them this morning to make some changes and the the CM told me it was okay to share as long as it was not a buffet or a pre plated meal. In fact.. she recommended it. She told me to share at Alfredo's because she had just eaten there and it was so much food that she could not even think about dessert. She saw that I had a daughter with me and said " you should share you meal and use the saved credit for a nice lunch too". I told her we had already planned on doing that since DD is diabetic and cannot eat that much pasta but loves it so we always share when we eat italian.

We shared all the time in December. It was wonderful as DD being little needs 3 meals a day. She and I shared a breakfast platter, a cs lunch and then she did eat her own dinner.

I also often got desset to go. I love eating key Lime pie at 11pm while watching the news! That is a good vacation to me!

you get a dessert at cs but only ts do you get an app. too.And to comment on the sharing we've always been able to share and this year we are having to pay for DD and she will be on the DDP too but she is only 3 and there is no way she will eat a whole meal we always share.And I know some look down on this but I am planning on sharing with her and using the extra credits for later.Hey I figure I'm paying almost full price for her anyway and they are giving the food Free if they were that concerned about people doing this they would seperate the credits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter