Shockingly awful snacks

I have not yet tried those items from Gaston's but was just reading on wdw food blog yesterday that they were delicious :thumbsup2

Zebra Domes! I was so excited to try these when I stayed at AKL in May. I was really disappointed. Here I was thinking I was the only one who disliked them :laughing:. Another snack mistake was a Smores cupcake I bought at WL. It was extremely dry and crumbly. The texture and taste of the marshmallow topping was completely off-putting. The only part I ended up finishing was the piece of chocolate they had sticking out of the frosting. On the other hand, I absolutely love dole whips and mickey bars :love:.

We were not impressed with Gaston's brew at all. Butter beer it is not . Way too sweet. We did enjoy the pork shank though. Heard everyone raving about the Dole whip. Had it, not going to rush for another one anytime!

A lesson on Turkey legs. Turkey legs are almost always brined, injected with sodium nitrate and then smoked- which will give it the pink meat that tastes like ham. If you want a turkey leg that tastes like actual turkey, then do not brine the meat and do not smoke it.

I have to agree on the cake pops- they are horrific. Do not like coffee, so the zebra domes are gross to me also. The school bread USED to be delish- like back in 2009. They changed the pastry recipe and now use a baked cardamon bun instead of the yummy, fried doughnut style pastry they used to use. The old school bread also had coconut in the creme filling and was covered with shredded coconut and vanilla icing. I sure do miss those ones.

mom2cookies said:
(( putting up shields lol ))) I do not like Dole WHips... there I said it. They are just too sweet for me. I love pineapple juice, and I love vanilla soft serve, but I just do not like them together. Also, wasn't impressed with the zebra domes.

I agree with both!

The turkey legs changed about 15 years ago.

Way back in the day (maybe over 15 years ago) they were actually smoked and cooked more old school.

For at least the past 15 years they went to the 'smoke flavoring' additives and they've been crap ever since.

Fudge from the MK candy store. It was dried out and crumbly. I'm used to the fudge I get at the Jersey shore which is always fresh and creamy.

Fudge from the MK candy store. It was dried out and crumbly. I'm used to the fudge I get at the Jersey shore which is always fresh and creamy.

The fudge in Big Top Treats in New FL is wonderful! We've tried a couple of different flavors.

The chocolate covered pineapple was really Meh. I wanted to love it & it had a good flavor but was difficult to eat because the chocolate kept breaking oddly & the pineapple wasn't soft enough to bite through easily.

OTOH DD picked out a raspberry/dark chocolate mousse/cake parfait thing in France's CS restaurant that was AMAZING!

I really wanted to like the tie-die cheesecake at Pop 'cause everybody seems to like it. It just tasted too chemically to me, not to mention the horrible after effects evident the next day.

I thought it tasted great, but agree with your after effects assessment! Way WAY too much food dye.

I've never had a turkey leg and never will. They look gross to me, and I don't care for smoked meats. Honestly never tried most of the snacks on this thread (cake pops, Dole whips, pretzels, school bread, zebra domes). LOL. What in the world have I been eating down there?

I will be trying a Mickey ice cream this time, and possibly a citrus swirl. Never had the pineapple one, but I prefer orange flavor. If I like that one, I'll try the pineapple.

I will say that I don't usually care for Rice Krispie treats, and would certainly never buy one. I barely like homemade. But a CM gave my daughter one for free once, and I ended up eating most of it! The ears were dipped in chocolate and covered in mini Reese's pieces. It was SO soft. It must have been fresher than most from the sound of it. I also enjoy all the snack credits used in France's bakery!

The dole whip I had actually tasted sour compared to my dd's plain vanilla cone. I like sour things but it almost tasted rancid... we liked the zebra domes at Boma but I wouldn't rave about it. I usually stay clear of anything that reminds me of flan. Ditto what others said about the crispy treats.

Mickey ice cream ears I could eat all day...

The dole whip I had actually tasted sour compared to my dd's plain vanilla cone. I like sour things but it almost tasted rancid...

Sounds like you got a bad one. they're not supposed to be that sour.

While I havent been to WDW yet, I've been to disneyland and I've always loved the dole whip, but not the float so much. The pineapple juice they use just isnt sweet enough for me.

Though I'm surprised to see so many people hate the zebra things. I've been kind of looking forward to those.

I'm not sure my most disliked food item at WDW counts as a snack, but we had it as a snack. :rolleyes1 My husband and I had hot dog/brats at the quick service in Germany and they were not good. They didn't have much flavor and the bread was too hard.

Also, quite a few people rave about The Napoleon at the bakery in France, but I found that it was a bit bland. :confused:

That is pretty much it though. I've never had the School Bread but I hope to try it in March. I've also never had Zebra Domes either. We don't spend a lot of time in the Animal Kingdom area, so that could be why. :confused3

However, I like the rice krispie treats as long as they are covered in chocolate! I also love Dole Whips and Mickey Premium Bars. AND some said this and I totally agree...Disney puts something addictive in their popcorn, because I can NEVER get enough! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter