• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I GAC for melanoma/sun avoidance

Schmeck

<font color=blue>Funny thing is now my 17 year old
Just recently had a mole removed that tested positive for melanoma, re-excision came back clean, so I'm in the clear for now. But of course I have to be extra careful about my skin now, which means lots of sunscreen, and limiting my time outdoors, especially in the summer.

Our next Disney trip is planned for the beginning of August. I will cover myself religiously with high SPF suncreen, find the goofiest sun hat I can to wear, etc. Are there that many lines at WDW that are in the sun? Planning on using Fastpass as much as possible as well, and trying to be indoors during peak sun hours. Wish I could schedule the trip for another time of the year, but the girls can't be out of school for extended time anymore, and Feb/April vacations are booked with skating competitions.

Will I need a GAC, just asking to be out of the sun (definitely do not need to be passing anyone in line, no problem with waiting) or do you think I could find enough shady spots to wait in? I really don't feel like I need to get a GAC, but someone I know recommended that I do. Of course, I could just pray for clouds/rain for that week?

What do you all think?

They at least used to have a GAC that specifically had to do with allowing an alternate place to wait if the line was in the sun for what they termed "an extended period of time." You wouldn't be going ahead of people in line, so don't worry about that.
Almost all of the lines are shaded though and I think that you would be able to avoid waiting in line for the most part doing what you wrote you plan to do. The special needs areas for the daytime parades are not shaded (at least they were not any of the times we saw them), so , if you want to watch the parades, you'd be better off finding a shaded spot on your own.

Thanks Sue! I really didn't think I needed one, but a friend of mine said I should get one, just in case. I think I'll check with my dermatologist next visit, see what he thinks about going to Florida in August, and plan from there. Of course, there is the chance that the melanoma is going to reappear somewhere else, and if it does, I doubt I'll be making the trip at all.

You could request one and use it sort of as insurance, but in my experience, the lines are pretty well planned to avoid standing in the sun. Even the outdoor attraction, like the nature trails at AK, are quite well shaded.

There is indeed a GAC for sun sensitivity. WIth the exception of Food & Wine, which has ad hoc lines that are often sunny or partially shaded, I have not felt the need to get one. Over many trips over many years, I have asked for assistance twice (once at the Haunted Mansion, once at Playhouse Disney, unusual line management) and the CMs have helped me, but I realize they could have easily required the GAC. If you will feel more comfortable with it, by all means, go ahead and get it. You don't have to use it if you don't need it, and that way, you will have it should you need it. Plus there is something to be said for getting one so WDW knows that people do use and need this accommodation.

Honestly, the big problem, however, is, as Sue mentioned, the parades. Also any outdoor entertainment that's not in a formal theater, such as the castle forecourt show. My best suggestion is a big umbrella, which I recognize is not perfect. MGM is awesome for parades due to the hat. WDW does a great job with the sun, and even the MK, which has shorter rides and thus more walking around outside, makes up for it bc you can stay inside shops so much.

FYI, if you are thinking of going to DL, I wouldn't. It is a poor choice for someone with sun sensitivity as they have no sun sensitivity GAC and lots and lots of sunny lines.

:wave: Cupcake

Being in the heat in direct sun is a recipe for a major asthma attack (the type which ends up with the EMT's being called :( ) so I get this type of a GAC in the summer months. Luckily in cooler months the sun doesn't trigger me. At any rate, I've found that most lines are pretty well shaded, and regretfully for the ones that aren't, there really isn't much they can do for you anyhow--Dumbo is one example of that.

Some CM's are really good about understanding and helping out, while others just don't seem to understand what that particular issue is and/or what you need. We've also found that for the past couple of summers, staffing has been low so there aren't CM's to be found at the beginning of many queues.

Just to let you know, you get the pass issued once at the beginning of your trip and it's good for all parks for your entire trip :)

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter