should i stay at ALL STAR MOVIES or OFF THE PROPERTY?

i've only stayed at Dixie Landings before but i'm broke, broke, broke this year.

Is it worth staying at All Star Movies to be on the disney property? Or is it better to try and be near downtown disney? Or is it better to be at the 'maingate' ?

It's just me and my boyfriend -- no children. Although we are kids at heart.

thanks so much!

Stay at the ASM. It is a wonderful place~why stay off site when ASM is affordable and so Disney!!!!

With or without kids, it comes down to driving & parking.
Great rates can be found at many of the hotels on 192 but we've always come back to stay on grounds. Now, that being said, if it meant the difference between going or not, get the cheap room!

Is it worth staying at All Star Movies to be on the disney property? Or is it better to try and be near downtown disney? Or is it better to be at the 'maingate' ?

Will you have a car?
(No? Stop here. Stay onsite.)

How much waking time do you plan to spend at your hotel?
(very little? Chalk one up for the cheapest room.)

Do you like the theme at All Star Movies?
(yes? One for All Stars.)

Do you make use of the hot tub at your hotel?
(yes? Choose a hotel with a hot tub - none at All Stars.)

Do you like to swim/rest midday at your hotel?
(yes? Choose any that are very nearby or onsite.)

Do you expect to spend evenings at PI & will both plan to drink alcohol?
(yes? Choose All Stars or DD hotels and take the bus.)

Do you plan to include non-Disney attractions in your vacation plans?
(yes? stay offsite - no need to pay Disney rates then drive to I-Dr. anyway.

If most of your answers point to All Stars, go for it. If most lean toward offsite, and if money is really tight and the extra $20 - $60 per day would make a real difference for you, then I'd choose offsite. For a couple who don't care as much about the buses and who don't have children to mingle with the mobs of kids at the All Stars and who spend a lot of time at the parks and who need to watch each dollar, I'd give offsite a try. We've had wonderful trips both offsite and onsite.

If you need to find a good offsite place, make sure you read the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board. Learn which less expensive hotels/motels are nice and which are poor. There's a huge difference between them, for the same prices. Also, with a tight budget, look for one that includes a hot breakfast.

Either way, choose well & enjoy your WDW vacation! :)

Never stay off property. We use to do this and regretted every moment. If at all possible, stay on property for convenience sake. If you just can't, then what choice do you have.

Stay at the All Star hotel. I am 26 and travel to Disney with friends my age and no kids. I have stayed at All Star Sports twice and All Star Movies. I have stayed at one moderate(CBR), but I actually prefer the All Stars because the grounds are much smaller and the food court is great. You can get cocktails at the bar outside the food court. The rooms are smaller, but I don't think this should be a problem if it is only the two of you. It is worth trying it out to see if you like it because the rates are so low! Have fun and happy planning!!!

You might be able to get an even better rate if you are willing to stay at All Star Music or Sports and are going towards the end of the year. I would go to www.mousesavers.com or ask Dreams Unlimited to help. They know the codes and might be able to get you an All Star room for under $60 a night. Can you tell what my vote is? Onsite, always!

One big thing to consider is Transportation... Assuming that you will be flying down...

If you stay off property, you'll probably need to rent a car. That can often times off set the cost of off-property versus on property.

If you stay on property, you can take advantage of the Disney Transport system. Busses run to all four theme parks, Downtown Disney, and both water parks. The All-Stars typically also receive more frequent service than other resorts (due to demand).

having stayed on property before and then stay off-property, you will be 'blue' - DON"T DO IT! LOL!

I really enjoy the All Stars... The value is amazing, and the little disney touches are great.. the mousekeeping towel animals, the themeing of food courts, pools, rooms, .. it's basic, but it add soooo much to the trip... I have stayed in Orlanod for lots of things, conventions, etc, and most of the rooms, are so basic, and bland. I dont know what i would think if i left a day of disney park fun, only to go off site, where the experience stopped as I left the gate.

I disagree, IF YOU HAVE A CAR stay offsite. This website is offering Courtyard for $25 a night. You can get a lot of hotels through PL for under $50 /night. You'll get a nicer hotel and save money. Some of the offsite hotels even include breakfast.

It also depends on when you plan on visiting WDW. If it is during a busy season and the parks get filled to capacity they close them to all but resort guests.

Originally posted by Kteacher
It also depends on when you plan on visiting WDW. If it is during a busy season and the parks get filled to capacity they close them to all but resort guests.
but if the park was that crowded I don't think I'd want to be there

A tough question. Depends onhow much you value the "Disney Magic" of being in a themed resort and the transportation system. I'd suggest yuo look at the place we did recently, Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista. Very cheap with a free shuttle to the 4 major parks (note that there are not as many times returning as going).

Still it is very reasonable and oftn has special rates. Couple that with a car from L&M (http://www.lmcarrental.net) and you could still save money compared to on-site.

Another vote for All Stars. I will never stay off site again.

I don't know when you are going, but the Disney World site has an online special going on that includes September. ASMU is offered at $59 per night.

If you are going later, the codes at www.mousesavers.com will probably help.

All Star Movies! You are not really in Disney if you are not on property!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter