Shrek Takes On Mickey: The Dreamworks Experience Aboard Allure of the Seas 9/18-25

I know this TR is a few years old now but thanks for the great report and so many photos. I am seriously thinking of taking a break from Disney and giving RCCL a try. Very enticing!

I know this is old, but WOW! Thank you for the pictures and trip report. I never thought I would want to try a RCCL cruise, but this makes me want to go!

A little bit more about Allure of the Seas and how it compares to DCL's current and future ships.

Allure of the Seas

World's Largest Cruise Ship (2 inches longer then sister ship Oasis if the Seas)
Launched 2010

Total size in Gross Tonnage: 225,282 GRT
1,187 Feet Long
208 Feet Wide
213 Feet High
16 Passenger Decks
6 Pools (5 Freshwater, 1 Saltwater-not counting Flowriders)
2,706 Staterooms
6,318 Passengers
2,384 Crew

Interesting Features of note: 6 Neighborhoods including the Royal Promenade, Central Park, & Boardwalk, 2 Flowrider wave simulators, 9-deck high Zipline, Ice Skating Rink, 2 Rock Climbing Walls, Carousel, Mini-Golf Course, 26 Restaurants, Dreamworks Character Experience.

Disney Dream and Fantasy

Launched 2011/2012

Total size in Gross Tonnage: 128,000 GRT
1,115 Feet long
125 Feet Wide
187 Feet High
14 Passenger Decks
3 Pools (Freshwater)
1,250 Staterooms
4,000 Passengers
1,458 Crew

Interesting Features of note: Aquaduck Water Coaster, Virtual Porthole in all inside Staterooms, Rotational Dining featuring the innovative all-new Animator's Palate, and exclusive Royal Palace and Enchanted Garden, expanded Kids' Club Facilities, Mini-Golf Course and the Disney Character Experience.

Disney Magic

Launched 1998

Total size in Gross Tonnage: 83,000 GRT
964 Feet long
106 Feet Wide
140 Feet High
10 Passenger Decks
3 Pools (Freshwater)
875 Staterooms
2,400 Passengers
945 Crew

And if you wanted a side by side photo to compare, here you go:

models002.jpg

Just kidding. Models are not to scale! :rotfl2:

Here is a real comparison of the Allure, Dream, and Carnival Fantasy in Nassau: (photo from Flickr)

comparison.png

Up next: I'm On My Way!

I have just discovered your TR. I LOVE your comparisons. If I ever stray away from DCL, I would do Oasis or Allure of the Seas. Not really interested in Quantum or Anthem of the Seas. I love your "mini-models" of RCCL and DCL. I have to say this last picture sure puts their sizes in perspective! Now I'll get back to reading up!

Wow! I actually just finished your TR! Whew! 32 pages worth!!! I have a LOT of comments but will list later! In short though, your family is adorable!!! Sarah is so cute! Savannah is like such a young lady, reminding of how my DD 7.5 would be like at that age. Your DD is so cool, love his adventurousness with food. Loved most of you did the flow rider. I would TOTALLY join u in the dancing at the Promenade.

Ok...here are my questions and comments.
1) I was so amazed that you & Ron did several of the specialty restaurants. They are very interesting & sound good. But did u go because you didn't want to eat in the MDR's?
2) I loved your attention to detail while reporting. Also loved that you took so many pix. By the way, that really sucked about your camera breaking & having to get a new one.
3) if I ever did RCCL, I would go only for Oasis or Allure because of the Aquatheater! That is so awesome. I also love the idea of the Boardwalk & Central Park. I would love to do an ocean view balcony rather than the CP or Boardwalk views because I'd also want to see the ocean & not worry about the public seeing into the cabin. One day we hope to have a balcony. The last cruise & next cruise are ocean view. Our 1st was inside.
4) I loved your efforts to get the banner up & have your pics taken on embarkation day!
5) your family seemed to love the Dreamworks experience. At this moment, we are SO Disney though.
6) that was so cool that the pools mostly weren't crowded, especially with several lounge chairs being available. My peeve on DCL is that the pools are few, small, & there aren't enough deck chairs & space near the pools.
7) I can't wait to read your Disney Fantasy TR.

Thank you for doing your TR. I know it's a lot of work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter