Since when is this acceptable?

I had this same problem with towels on the hallway floor during a recent stay at the Swan. I respectfully moved them back against the door they came from and cleared the hallway for the benefit of all.

Reading this thread was interesting. I didn't expect this to be a hot topic issue. I always put towels under the sink area in the bathroom - I would never in my wildest dreams put dirty wet towels outside. I see people do it every time I stay at Disney and I barely see anyone do it when I stay at other hotels. On my most recent stay at a DVC resort there was a person that parked their ECV right in front of their room and it stayed there the entire time. The AKL hallways are narrow enough and then with an ECV blocking half of it made it worse.

I'm a DVC member. I've now stayed on points 5 times. I've never been charged extra when requesting extra towels. (I also always turn down the day 4 room service so I have no idea if that's part of it).
I did a recent stay at AKL Kidani on points that did get the day 4 room service and I was not charged for extra towels.

Regarding trash (but staying out of the towel debate), I personally would find it helpful if there were a sign near the elevators saying, "The trash room is next to room xxx.)" That would let everybody know that it existed, and where to find it. Perhaps there are people who would leave trash outside their room even if they read and understood the sign, but it could be helpful to the rest of us.

When I stayed at CCV pre-COVID, I looked for the trash room on my first day (in case I needed it), but could not find it. I asked at the front desk and they would not tell me where it was. They said to call housekeeping if I had trash to get rid of. I didn't have smelly food trash or diapers that I wanted to get out of the room immediately, so it wasn't an issue for me, but I thought it was odd.
yep. We recently stayed at SSR and could NOT find the trash room. I think part of the problem with not having to go to the front desk is that there is no one to tell you the rules or where the trash room is. They should be clearly labeled so people can find them. We ended up just leaving any trash that over flowed the small bins next to the bins IN our room (in a bag). Our room was also NOT checked daily as our trash was never removed in the 3 nights we were there.

There is plenty of room to walk or drive another ECV around the ECV. And IF there was an emergency the person that is in that room would ALSO be leaving so the ECV would not be a hazard since the person would be driving it away. Should it be left there, no, but is not as big of an issue as people are making it out to be.

Actually though, think of what else is apparently now "acceptable."

Just to kick it off.

DD just Landed (about an hour ago) in MPLS from MCO. Delta flight was to leave at around 6AM, and took off at 9:30. 3 hour delay-and guess what, they were glad it went at all and paid 4 times more than like a year ago.

Thousands of cancelled flights each week.

Went to Blaze Pizza recently at 6PM-hand written note saying not enough folks showed up today sorry closed.

$5 gas.

9.1% Inflation.

Housing interest from 2% to 6% and climbing.

Baby Formula Shortage.

I can accept some towels at VGF I suppose.

OP here. There was a card hanging in our bathroom that spoke to the housekeeping schedule. I think what really got to me was this building had just been completely redone, including brand new carpet in the hallways. What a great start to the carpets turning grimy and musty. The towels were soaking wet at times. That’s what caught my eye the second day is that newly wet towels were added to the prior day’s towels. I never felt irritation with housekeeping, just the guests. It’s the fact that some guests feel their comfort should be prioritized over the experience of the other guests.

I know there has been discussion about the ECV blocking the hallway, but if you look at the photo I posted you can see that the towels were also well into the walking path of the corridor.

Regarding the room service trays—we saw plenty of those, too, but they seemed to get picked up daily. I’ll add in response to those who are comparing Disney resorts to high end hotels—I’ve never noticed guests putting trash or towels in the hall when staying at top tier hotels. Too, I specifically recall occasions at hotels where the room service tray included a card with the number to call to have the tray picked up. I’m not saying this because I think Disney should do the same. What I do wish is that guests would leave their tray in a neat manner for the sake of the guests and the CMs.
Not meaning to minimize your opinion (or maybe I am, but not vindictively) but I just don't see how towels in the hallway is affecting your experience as another guest. It's a mild eyesore, and I'm not saying it's okay, but seems weird that would be enough to detract from your vacation.

If they were throwing the towels into my ROOM, then I would be mad, but otherwise, if I'm on vacation, little worries like towels on the floor in a shared hallway are not enough to stress about.

I just think this forum is so hilarious - there is obviously a heated response to folks throwing wet towels in the hallway that the DVC staff could care less about; however, God forbid you place a towel on your balcony or you will possibly get kicked out of the resort.

Not meaning to minimize your opinion (or maybe I am, but not vindictively) but I just don't see how towels in the hallway is affecting your experience as another guest. It's a mild eyesore, and I'm not saying it's okay, but seems weird that would be enough to detract from your vacation.

If they were throwing the towels into my ROOM, then I would be mad, but otherwise, if I'm on vacation, little worries like towels on the floor in a shared hallway are not enough to stress about.
I get your point, and it certainly wouldn't ruin my vacay.

Having said that, tossing nasty, wet crap in the hallway is gross and not acceptable, whether one allows it to ruin their vacation or not. Let's just have a little courtesy, please. Is that really too much to ask?

Just to kick it off.

DD just Landed (about an hour ago) in MPLS from MCO. Delta flight was to leave at around 6AM, and took off at 9:30. 3 hour delay-and guess what, they were glad it went at all and paid 4 times more than like a year ago.

Went to Blaze Pizza recently at 6PM-hand written note saying not enough folks showed up today sorry closed.

$5 gas.

9.1% Inflation.

Baby Formula Shortage.

I definitely understand and appreciate your point, and won't argue that in the big scheme of things some nasty, wet towels and fire-hazard ECV aren't the worst things in the world. You are right.

I do think, however, that given the state of the world as you've aptly illuminated in your post, is all the more reason that we should all show one another a little more grace in our "home away from home." WDW is supposed to be, for many of us, a place where we can find refuge from the trials and tribulations of the everyday world. Including wet, nasty towels on the floor :)

I definitely understand and appreciate your point, and won't argue that in the big scheme of things some nasty, wet towels and fire-hazard ECV aren't the worst things in the world. You are right.

I do think, however, that given the state of the world as you've aptly illuminated in your post, is all the more reason that we should all show one another a little more grace in our "home away from home." WDW is supposed to be, for many of us, a place where we can find refuge from the trials and tribulations of the everyday world. Including wet, nasty towels on the floor :)
Totally.

But there's gonna be idiots everywhere you go, including WDW.

Best to just roll with it.

There is plenty of room to walk or drive another ECV around the ECV. And IF there was an emergency the person that is in that room would ALSO be leaving so the ECV would not be a hazard since the person would be driving it away. Should it be left there, no, but is not as big of an issue as people are making it out to be.
I don’t know, perhaps this type of thing is built into me due to my job, but….

Let’s say there was a fire. Would a physically challenged person be the first one running out the door to move the ECV? Likely not.
If there were a mass evacuation with smoke in the hallways and emergency lighting only, would anyone be able to even see the hallway is half blocked? Now everyone has to try and funnel around it creating a bottleneck??

Yes, that’s worst case scenario, but that’s exactly what must be planned for.

And IF there was an emergency the person that is in that room would ALSO be leaving so the ECV would not be a hazard since the person would be driving it away.
Not so! In a true emergency, such as a fire, if the person with the ECV is staying on the ground floor, they would exit through their rooms patio door, not a smoke (or fire) filled hallway that they left the ECV in. If they were on any other floor, they would still have to leave the ECV behind, as they would be required to use the stairs. Elevators are stopped during such emergencies.

The hallway ECV is also a violation of like three rules, and they're everywhere also. I mean you couldn't fit a double stroller past that, or even certain wheelchairs. I care a lot more about that than some towels.

In normal, "deluxe" hotels, housekeeping picks up towels or room service or whatever on the floor of the hallway. There's grosser stuff than this in the halls of very nice hotels. In rooms with no service at all like DVC, putting them in the hallways makes sense to me. If the towels sat there, that means housekeeping walked by them.

And VGF2 did have a room service menu. Yum...
This! We are always told when we rent ECVs for my mom and grandma they stay in the room. Even if we pop in for a quick grab and go situation we try to pull it in the room or someone will wait in the lobby with it

I'm at a fairly nice Hyatt and just saw towels in the hallway, LOL. I thought of this thread.
Anything below a Hyatt Regency is a mid-level brand and not luxury (obviously, neither is DVC, but you referenced this practice as occurring at "luxury" hotels earlier). Any hotel that you qualify as "fairly nice" also doesn't evoke images of high-end accommodations.

First off people care less everyday about the other people they share this world with. It is a shame. I wish this was not true but I am afraid it is.
Saying rude and inconsiderate behavior is no big deal only helps ensure the slide down will continue. Just something to think about.

That being said if I see towels, trash etc in the hallway near my room for more than 24 hours I am calling the front desk to have it removed. Heck I will tell them I just tripped over it.
Don’t care. I get things done.
If that doesn’t work maybe I put it in the elevator. See how long it stays there.

Let’s be clear here. I don’t get angry or upset over these things. I will however calmly do my part to help hold up civility and a proper standard in this world we share.

I will dare to say I’ve stayed at more hotels (various quality) than most anyone on these boards.
I stand by my earlier comments.

Refer to earlier post. I’m somewhat of an expert on hotels…. Unfortunately. Cannot retire soon enough.

To put it into perspective, I’m an airline pilot that has lived roughly 16 years in hotels in the past 35 years.

Just to kick it off.

$5 gas.

9.1% Inflation.

Baby Formula Shortage.

Give me a break. By definition everything we talk about on these boards is a "first world problem", we're talking about expensive frivolous resorts and cruises and theme parks. Obviously any of it pales compared to widespread economic strife and labor shortages and people not being able to feed their babies. I don't think anyone considers those things acceptable by the way, there's not much we can do about them.

Any problem anyone could discuss, I could probably point out something worse. I could say "boo hoo a delayed flight. Most people in the world will never get to set foot on an airplane, they can barely eat" So do we just stop discussing anything that's not literally life and death? Nobody thinks people leaving messes in hotel hallways is earth shattering. But people sometimes discuss minor annoyances and rudeness, too.

Last edited:
Give me a break. By definition everything we talk about on these boards is a "first world problem", we're talking about expensive frivolous resorts and cruises and theme parks. Obviously any of it pales compared to widespread economic strife and labor shortages and people not being able to feed their babies. I don't think anyone considers those things acceptable by the way, there's not much we can do about them.

Any problem anyone could discuss, I could probably point out something worse. I could say "boo hoo a delayed flight. Most people in the world will never get to set foot on an airplane, they can barely eat" So do we just stop discussing anything that's not literally life and death? Nobody thinks people leaving messes in hotel hallways is earth shattering. But people sometimes discuss minor annoyances and rudeness, too.
Yup, but this forum is not about problems around the country or the world. There’s probably a different forum for that somewhere on the Net.
We live in a first world country, and we can discuss first world issues.

God Bless the USA.

I hear what you are saying, I have seen towels, trash, room service trays and ECVs in the hallways in every DVC resort I have stayed at. Didn't get upset about it but thought it was an eyesore.

My question is what if every guest placed their wet towels in the hallway? Would that bother you? What a mess that would be.

Yep true. I guess more to my point is hardly anything surprises me at this point. WDW or otherwise.

I still like the updates though, but have to admit I accept all negatives these days. Not happy about it though.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter