Since when is this acceptable?

I just returned from a stay in the beautiful new VGF2. DVC owners and renters are aware of and agree to the housekeeping schedule yet some choose to pile their wet, dirty towels on the brand new carpet in the hallways. The room next to ours continued to add to their pile daily. This is what we had to pass every day.

View attachment 683992
While still disgusting, I can almlost give a pass on this occurring with cash stays because not having daily housekeeping there is borderline unacceptable. Plus, housekeeping picks up those piles in the hallway daily.
NEVER, these are probably the same people that throw their dirty, unwashed wet shoes in communal hotel dryers BARF. I guess they didn't want to see their pile except every single time they exit their room?!?! I will say, we've had a handful of disney stays post covid and housekeeping hasn't been consistent but that's across the board at other non-disney hotels and major chains. Until they're fully staffed, stuff like this will keep happening. It doesn't make it ok but it's an issue at a lot of hotels.

I only toured the one room but are the hallways that narrow there? We had no issues getting by scooters in the VG1 building even when in the more narrow area. We have a double stroller is why I say that and its 30 inches wide.
I was right off the lobby in VGF2, so the hallway seemed fine. VGF1 hallways are also fine. This is obviously a narrow hallway to somewhere which doesn't need to be half blocked.

If it was more than one day I would have pushed them with my foot in front of their door each time I saw them laying there. I find putting room service trays in the hallway to be tacky even. If you are that worried about something in your room call housekeeping and have them come take care of it.
The directions we got with our room service specifically said to put it outside of your room. Ours was picked up within an hour of putting it outside. I do find it tacky, but that is what you are told to do.

I find this culture conflict strange. It's standard, international hotel procedure to put towels, trash, and room service in the hallway. This is true at much nicer places than DVC.

Maybe DVC isn't staffed for it, or maybe OP just got unlucky. I don't think the guest did anything wrong. I didn't swim or stay long enough to need new towels in my terrible stay at VGF2, or I would have done the same.

I find this culture conflict strange. It's standard, international hotel procedure to put towels, trash, and room service in the hallway. This is true at much nicer places than DVC.

And its tacky there as well.

Being a standard does not mean its nice they do it because they don't want to have staffing to pick up the items from you at your discretion. Really the only time I ever have room service is a cruise and there I just leave it for the room steward on the tray.

Its standard for NYC to pile trash in the street but I don't like that either and am happy to live in a rural area of the country.

I know what you are you saying though. I will say I have never saw towels in the hallway though basically anywhere and prepandemic I traveled roughly 25 weeks a year.

Going back a bit, while both visuals are unacceptable, they are not the same. The towels are, frankly, gross, but the parked ECV is dangerous. In an emergency, the parked ECV could be hazardous to an orderly or safe exit, especially for those that have some degree of impaired mobility. Hence the regulations. Those should be rigorously enforced.

I am sorry, but I have to call it like I see it on this one.
Putting dirty towels, trash, etc. on the floors in the hallways is just low class nasty.
And any "nice hotel" that tells their guests to do that is no longer a nice hotel.
They have rules against hanging dirty, wet towels on the balcony, and for good reason.
Why would it be ok, then, to throw them on the hallway floor?
I have traveled internationally and many things "normally" done in other places are equally gross.
If the issue is truly a staffing problem, then only book to the capacity that the current staff can handle.
As far as DVC stays, I fully understand the housekeeping schedule and plan accordingly.

As for the ECV left in the hallway, that should never be allowed.
It should be removed immediately by staff, and the person or persons that left it there should be counseled on the dangers it posed before getting it back.
If they leave it there again, it should not be returned until they check out. (if the ADA laws will not allow that, then just end their stay right then)
It is just too dangerous to let happen, and those that truly need an ECV should know that.

ECV is dangerous

Depends on the hallway I guess. If you can easily get a double stroller or another ECV through the hallway then I don't view it anymore dangerous than the mousekeeping carts all over the hallways.

Heck VGF had boxes of towels throughout the hallway.

The towels would be a bigger issue because its something you for sure would not be seeing during a fire and could trip over it.

those that truly need an ECV should know that.

Those that need it might never have needed it before that specific trip to Disney. Knew someone who twisted their knee terribly before a trip and used a wheelchair the whole time. They would have zero clue about that.

Disney potentially is the longest days of walking most will have all year so many who need it at Disney do not need it elsewhere especially during summer months.

I will tell you with certainty that my grandpa would have never in a million years known that and would just notice if the hallway was wide enough or not. He for sure would have needed to bring his scooter with him for a Disney trip.

I am not buying the post-Covid, lack of housekeeping staff as a reason to dump nasty, wet towels in the hallway. DVC villa accommodations are not hotel rooms that operate in the same manner. I do realize that if you're staying on cash then it is different, but not when staying on points. The housekeeping service schedules existed long before Covid.

DVC villas are supposed to be your home away from home, hence the constant "Welcome Home" mantra. Take care of your own garbage, wet towels, and other nasty stuff. :)

Irregardless of how the room is booked (cash vs. points), I would call housekeeping and have them pick up. If they didn't pick up the towels the day I called I would escalate.

I would never just leave them in the hall. That's gross and in everyone's way. I don't care how you pay or what kind of hotel it is.

I will also say I don't believe there is a lack of housekeeping at all we were there for 12 nights...Housekeeping came by every single day of our trip and emptied our trash. Day 4 they came by and asked if we wanted a cleaning, since there are only two of us we asked for new towels and trash only. Day 8 they did new towels and trash again and Day 12 they came by and tried to switch out towels and trash but we were like no need we're leaving tomorrow. The housekeeping staff was pleasant and timely every day.

The bigger problem is a lack of people caring for other people as many have pointed out. Pool towels are supposed to be returned to the pool bins, as clearly stated at the pools. Used towels in the bathroom can be placed on the floor on cleaning days and they will be swapped out with new clean ones. If it's not a cleaning day and you have wet used towels that need to be switched out then you hit the housekeeping button and they will bring you new towels and you can ask them politely to take the old used ones. It's not complicated at all and takes two seconds of common courtesy. The ECVs in the hall have been something I've seen at many deluxes and never understood I feel like there is plenty of room in the accommodations to park the ECV and it is more than respectful to other guests to do such. If your room is not ample space then cut down on clutter or book a bigger accommodation. I'm sure that this will rub some people the wrong way but as many have pointed out it is a safety issue and hazard.

Maybe DVC isn't staffed for it, or maybe OP just got unlucky. I don't think the guest did anything wrong. I didn't swim or stay long enough to need new towels in my terrible stay at VGF2, or I would have done the same.
DVC probably isn’t staffed for it because daily housekeeping is not included in our dues. It’s my understanding you have to request and pay for an additional towel service if desired.

I have travelled all over the world in everything from $1000 a night rooms to hostels and do not agree with this assessment - other than room service trays I have never been in a place where people put their trash and towels in the hall. Used towels stay in your room until housekeeping changes them out. Trash stays in the trash can until housekeeping cleans. In places where housekeeping isn't in your room all the time - normal since Covid (and I've spent months in hotel rooms since Covid) these things stay in your room - and you call for pickup. You don't leave your trash in the hall. (And you call and let them know they can pick up room service).

I am sorry, but I have to call it like I see it on this one.
Putting dirty towels, trash, etc. on the floors in the hallways is just low class nasty.
And any "nice hotel" that tells their guests to do that is no longer a nice hotel.
They have rules against hanging dirty, wet towels on the balcony, and for good reason.
Why would it be ok, then, to throw them on the hallway floor?
I have traveled internationally and many things "normally" done in other places are equally gross.
If the issue is truly a staffing problem, then only book to the capacity that the current staff can handle.
As far as DVC stays, I fully understand the housekeeping schedule and plan accordingly.
In all my years of business and leisure travel, staying at dozens of business class to luxury hotels (including W, Peninsula, Montage, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, etc.) I cannot recollect any stay where dumping dirty towels in the hallway was anything but an extreme exception.

Sounds like the same people who walk through the parks just dropping their popcorn and trash everywhere because "that's what sweepers are for, and it's Disney's job to keep the park clean". It's not their fault that someone wasn't following them around, picking up their trail of filth.

The EVC is just dangerous. Yes housekeeping carts are in the way, but they can be moved! An EVC is locked. Other places on these boards suggest charging EVC in the hall, or even outside the room at mods/values. The hotel needs to enforce fire codes. It's just crazy.

I don't understand this solution at all.

This is a resort with two pools and a splash pad, and zero housekeeping. Of course you are going to put the towels in the hallway. What are you supposed to do, pile pool towels by your shower? There's housekeeping everywhere, they just didn't care.

I eventually took a couple towels off the housekeeping cart at Boardwalk, and left the dirty ones there.

This is the natural consequence of no housekeeping.
Of course I am not going to put the towels in the hallway. I leave them in the tub or washroom floor until I go to the pool and put them in the proper container. Consideration for other guests is a wonderful act

DVC probably isn’t staffed for it because daily housekeeping is not included in our dues. It’s my understanding you have to request and pay for an additional towel service if desired.
You do not need to pay extra to request extra towels. (Or extra anything for that matter).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter