Since when is this acceptable?

If they are still doing the daily "security check", then there is ZERO excuse for them to be telling guests to put their dirty, wet towels in the hallways. They can put them in the bathroom and then the cast member who does the "security check" can grab them when they come in. There is no reason for dirty linens to be dumped in the hallways or common areas.

For me I definitely don’t like guests putting towels in hall and would never do it but housekeeping/hotel management allowing them to stay there and continue to build up multiple days without addressing is a bigger issue for me then a guest being inconsiderate. I find it completely unacceptable that housekeeping or even the daily security check would walk by this and not get it taken care of. If not staffed appropriately to proactively address they should at least address mess and notify the room to not continue the behavior. This type of behavior spreads if not addressed and it’s inexcusable for hotel to leave like this multiple days.

There is no excuse for this. Those appear to be pool towels. Keep them on the tiled bathroom floor and bring them back to the pool and put them in the bin by the pool in the morning if you are toobusy to do it in the evening. I understand the need to bring pool towels to the room sometimes. We’ve done it too. But we always bring them back to the bin at the pool. Would you leave wet towels on your carpeted floor at home? Florida has high humidity....that’s a mildew issuecwaiting to happen.

The daily security check has NOTHING to do with dirty towels. They will remove trash. They are not the person with the big rolling cart that collects dirty sheets and towels.

DVC is your home away from home. Wash and dry your towels using your in room washer/dryer or bring them to the free laundry facilities.

Yes at one time you were charged for an additional towel package. So a PP was correct, but I don’t believe this is any longer the case. People just help themselves when they see a housekeeping cart.

Your reservation confirmation has specific instructions regarding when your towels will be changed out. People who rent out their points should make sure their renters know these things.

I’ve witnessed pizza boxes and trash bags piled outside doors at BLT when there is a trash and recycling room on every floor. People are just plain lazy and expect someone else to do the dirty work.

Same at the pools. People leave their dirty, wet towels on chairs and tables when they leave. Really inconsiderate.

But we don’t know that they’ve been sitting out there even an hour, never mind long enough for housekeeping to walk by. We don’t even know when the photo was taken. Noon? Nine PM?

I know the op said it continued to pile up, but it could just as easily been repeated piles that housekeeping had to continuously pick up.
The towels were there at least two days and we noticed that the pile increased in size from one day to the next. This wasn’t the only room where I noticed this happening, but this was the one we had to actually walk around to get to our room.

But we don’t know that they’ve been sitting out there even an hour, never mind long enough for housekeeping to walk by. We don’t even know when the photo was taken. Noon? Nine PM?

I know the op said it continued to pile up, but it could just as easily been repeated piles that housekeeping had to continuously pick up.
I would say not definite but way I read op sounds like it was piling up. I’d also say this would align with reports earlier in year/last year where food trays were sitting multiple days without getting taken by staff so it also leads me to assume hotel not proactive.

Additionally if they are cleaning every day but it continues to happen that leads me to say they did not effectively correct guests and therefore are endorsing the behavior. I place much more responsibility on hotel to manage issues guests cause rather then just hoping the guest don’t cause issues. If the floors get bugs/mold or is damaged in someway the hotel is the one who will look bad not some random, anonymous guest.

So it’s the person tasked with cleaning up after slobs, and not the slobs themselves. Got it.

Last edited:
So it’s the person tasked with cleaning up after pigs, and not the pigs themselves. Got it.
It’s hard to tell in text but I sense sarcasm but from management perspective the answer actually is yes. If disney wants their hotels to be well maintained and well kept they can’t just have policy of ignoring issues and just blaming guests who are sloppy. That doesn’t address the issue and it reinforces the behavior and actually will cause more guests to adopt the undesired behavior.

A well run company will have all employees trained to address these issues immediately recognizing it takes less effort and maintains higher standards to be proactive rather then to be reactive. If a guest does something that makes them a “pig” Disney also has to take accountability for allowing them to be “pigs” in their hotel because that again is the only way to maintain quality (blaming the guest accomplishes nothing for maintaining standard).

It’s hard to tell in text but I sense sarcasm but from management perspective the answer actually is yes. If disney wants their hotels to be well maintained and well kept they can’t just have policy of ignoring issues and just blaming guests who are sloppy. That doesn’t address the issue and it reinforces the behavior and actually will cause more guests to adopt the undesired behavior.

A well run company will have all employees trained to address these issues immediately recognizing it takes less effort and maintains higher standards to be proactive rather then to be reactive. If a guest does something that makes them a “pig” Disney also has to take accountability for allowing them to be “pigs” in their hotel because that again is the only way to maintain quality (blaming the guest accomplishes nothing for maintaining standard).
Let's remove any doubt then. As human beings, we have a social contract to behave and carry ourselves in a manner that does not adversely affect those around us. That is immutable and the responsibility for living up to that social contract falls squarely on the individual.

While we should expect housekeeping to pick the junk up, and there's no excuse for any debris or laundry to sit overnight or pile up over several days, that doesn't give guests carte blanche to use the hallways as their personal trash can or laundry basket. What isn't dumped out there doesn't need to be picked up. Also, at which opportunity would you have cast members "correct" guests, and what else do these guests need to understand better? No urinating in the bushes? No getting drunk, pulling their trunks off and going down the water slide or jumping on the splash pads? I, and most people I know, don't need Disney to tell us how to behave, or carry ourselves in public, and we were certainly brought up well enough not to devolve into crude sloths just because we saw someone do something classless at Saratoga Springs. Mom and dad did a better job.

I'm not sure where you get a "policy of ignoring issues", and "blaming guests" the former a stretch, the latter completely ridiculous (or have you actually heard Disney blaming anyone for junk left in the halls?).

You want to blame Disney for failing to adequately respond to the issue, both by cleaning up after these people, as well as teaching them basic social values their parents should have taught them. All the while, abrogating the responsibility on the part of the guests to live up to those basic societal decency and norms.

Last edited:
Let's remove any doubt then. As human beings, we have a social contract to behave and carry ourselves in a manner that does not adversely affect those around us. That is immutable and the responsibility for living up to that social contract falls squarely on the individual.

While we should expect housekeeping to pick the junk up, and there's no excuse for any debris or laundry to sit overnight or pile up over several days, that doesn't give guests carte blanche to use the hallways as their personal trash can or laundry basket. What isn't dumped out there doesn't need to be picked up. Also, at which opportunity would you have cast members "correct" guests, and what else do these guests need to understand better? No urinating in the bushes? No getting drunk, pulling their trunks off and going down the water slide or jumping on the splash pads? I, and most people I know, don't need Disney to tell us how to behave, or carry ourselves in public, and we were certainly brought up well enough not to devolve into crude sloths just because we saw someone do something classless at Saratoga Springs. Mom and dad did a better job.

I'm not sure where you get a "policy of ignoring issues", and "blaming guests" the former a stretch, the latter completely ridiculous (or have you actually heard Disney blaming anyone for junk left in the halls?).

You want to blame Disney for failing to adequately respond to the issue, both by cleaning up after these people, as well as teaching them basic social values their parents should have taught them. All the while, abrogating the responsibility on the part of the guests to live up to those basic societal decency and norms.
I guess to simplify I’m not saying what is right or what is fair I’m saying what is reality. If hallways are left a mess for multiple days while multiple staff members walk by and ignore there’s clearly a lack of accountability and ownership to provide good guest experience. This reflects poorly on hotel management and it’s 100% their responsibility to correct.

I guess to simplify I’m not saying what is right or what is fair I’m saying what is reality. If hallways are left a mess for multiple days while multiple staff members walk by and ignore there’s clearly a lack of accountability and ownership to provide good guest experience. This reflects poorly on hotel management and it’s 100% their responsibility to correct.
And you don’t feel there is any responsibility on the part of the guests to not create the mess in the first place. I understand completely. It’s just not how I was taught to behave in public, and by reading most of the posts, I’m not alone.

I am willing to place responsibility on Disney for their shortcomings, you do not feel the guests are at fault. You feel Disney is failing to instruct guests not to leave their junk everywhere. You feel Disney is failing by not being adequately responsive when guests do leave their junk everywhere. And, you feel Disney is failing by not affirmatively dealing with the problem by explaining to guests that leaving their junk everywhere isn’t acceptable.

I believe none of those should be necessary in the first place. Accountability and respect for your surroundings and of others around you (and not taught to you in adulthood by a Disney housekeeper) would mitigate the problem before it even reached the point where Disney is forced to become wet nurse and playground monitor.

We will just agree to disagree.

And I'll add one final thought. You are choosing a "reality" where junk is already thrown in hallways, and Disney is failing to address the issue adequately. My "reality" starts with a clean hallway that hasn't had junk thrown into it, and where people take responsibility for their actions and respect the social contract. You think a good guest experience involves people acting like animals, and management bending over backwards to ensure both they and other guests enjoy a good experience, regardless of cause. I think a good guest experience starts with guests treating each other and their surroundings with respect. THEN, you can start talking about where Disney does or does not fall short.

In other words, in your mind, guests can dump whatever they want outside their door, as long as Disney is Johnny on the Spot and cleans it up as quickly as possible. Being a sloth isn't the problem, someone not cleaning it up (or not cleaning it up quickly) is a far greater problem. I find that unacceptable.

I don't understand this solution at all.

This is a resort with two pools and a splash pad, and zero housekeeping. Of course you are going to put the towels in the hallway. What are you supposed to do, pile pool towels by your shower? There's housekeeping everywhere, they just didn't care.

I eventually took a couple towels off the housekeeping cart at Boardwalk, and left the dirty ones there.

This is the natural consequence of no housekeeping.
I never take pool towels to the room, I put them back in the towel bin at the pool, so that takes care of those. We stay in a 2 bedroom so we wash and dry our room towels. If in a studio I hang them up until trash and towel day or they go on the bathroom floor until I can get housekeeping to pick them up. I do agree that room service trays are left at the door to be picked up. I do call them when we put it there.

Last edited:
And if you walk out of your room and the towels are still laying there, especially after the point where you KNOW all the housekeepers have left, I guess picking them up and taking them back inside and calling housekeeping is way too much to ask for. I mean, they were clean when you got them, and they've only touched you and whatever mung might have been on you, so it's not like a pile of rags from the auto shop. Even if Disney is dropping the ball, you can still get your junk out of other peoples lives.

It's like the guy who misses the trash truck, and instead of taking his cans back in, he just leaves them out all week for the rest of the neighborhood to enjoy.

And I'll add one final thought. You are choosing a "reality" where junk is already thrown in hallways, and Disney is failing to address the issue adequately. My "reality" starts with a clean hallway that hasn't had junk thrown into it, and where people take responsibility for their actions and respect the social contract. You think a good guest experience involves people acting like animals, and management bending over backwards to ensure both they and other guests enjoy a good experience, regardless of cause. I think a good guest experience starts with guests treating each other and their surroundings with respect. THEN, you can start talking about where Disney does or does not fall short.

In other words, in your mind, guests can dump whatever they want outside their door, as long as Disney is Johnny on the Spot and cleans it up as quickly as possible. Being a sloth isn't the problem, someone not cleaning it up (or not cleaning it up quickly) is a far greater problem. I find that unacceptable.
So just in this thread there have been some who state they see no issue with leaving towels so some subset of guests are going to leave towels. I agree this is not ideal and not what I would do but a successful strategy for a hotel isn’t to ignore reality and hope society becomes a utopia where guests do exactly what Disney wants without any intervention. The way you solve is to have protocols in place to quickly address issues. This actually is probably the best way to proactively prevent the behavior to get closer to your idealized scenario of guests not putting towels there in first place (if towels are left in hall additional guests may interpret as correct policy and spread the behavior). If needed you can go even further by having someone from hotel give friendly reminder to not put towels in hall.

The crux to my point is a high quality hotel or business of any sort maintains quality by fixing the problem not by blaming others and saying there shouldn’t be a problem to begin with. This is basic management/leadership principles and modeling these behaviors is a strong predictor of success for groups/business units so when I see these issues I directly assess that against the hotel management team.

I don't understand this solution at all.

This is a resort with two pools and a splash pad, and zero housekeeping. Of course you are going to put the towels in the hallway. What are you supposed to do, pile pool towels by your shower?
You're supposed to toss pool towels in the bins near the pool. Or do what many people do who are too lazy even for that, leave them on the lounger. Who in the world carries wet pool towels back to their room? Sorry I don't buy the premise that housekeeping is lacking, so guests have no choice but to use the halls as a dump. I also don't buy the premise that this is the norm. I've stayed in luxury hotels all over the world and its by far the exception not the norm in my experience. Room service trays maybe, not trash or huge piles of used towels.

Housekeeping should be cleaning up messes like this promptly, that I agree with.

Whew. Hope nobody orders room service and puts the dirty cart outside, like every single other nasty, selfish, disgusting hotel.

Seems like that matters more than the ECV blocking half the hallway.

Whew. Hope nobody orders room service and puts the dirty cart outside, like every single other nasty, selfish, disgusting hotel.

Seems like that matters more than the ECV blocking half the hallway.
One ECV in one photo. I would bet you a night in a grand villa that there are dozens of piles of crap sitting outside rooms right now.

And, a cart, on wheels, designed to be rolled to and from the room, is not the same as peoples trash and dirty linen just thrown directly on the floor. They leave an extra napkin for you to cover the cart when you put it outside your room, by the way (so we don’t have to see your semi-masticated drumstick). That’s not even a false equivalence. It’s a joke. Right?

I see this on cruise ships too, but in those instances, the stateroom is the size of a closet, and you have to accept the clientele you attract with $400 interior staterooms on 5 night trips.

What’s next? “They didn’t do my trash service, so I’m chucking my empties out on the patio. Not my fault they left me such a small can”.

I have a family member permanently in a wheelchair. From that photo, it would be a tight fit to the clearly marked exit. So yea, I care more about the ECV.

DVC has zero housekeeping. I don’t know why everyone is so surprised when people react accordingly. To be clear, I’ve never put towels in any Disney hallway, but this seems pretty obvious for a hotel with no housekeeping. THREE DAYS of this with supposed daily checks of every room is ridiculous.

And to be clear I’ve seen way worse in the DVC hallways, like someone’s whole grocery order worth of trash, including four white claw boxes, and the luggage trolley they couldn’t be bothered to bring back down. That only took two days to clear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter