Sister Wives

it was the same when they left Lehigh. They are all so unorganized. Kody is the worst but they have their faults too. Why didn’t the wives hire movers or helpers? If my husband had to tend to four homes while I’m moving I’m hiring help!
But Meri doesn’t like that. She wants the family to move her so she feels included. 🤣

This is probably super dumb of me but....why would they feel the need to disclose their plural marriage to a renter? It’s not like they ALL move in. It’s just whatever mom and kids with kody visiting occasionally, right? I never understood that. I do understand why they would tell a renter about filming though.

This is probably super dumb of me but....why would they feel the need to disclose their plural marriage to a renter? It’s not like they ALL move in. It’s just whatever mom and kids with kody visiting occasionally, right? I never understood that. I do understand why they would tell a renter about filming though.

That’s exactly why I think it’s crap. They mean some landlords aren’t ok with them filming in their home but for ratings they make it all scandalous.

Yeah I think it’s mostly to hype up more drama, “Meri’s being forced out of her home by closed-minded bigots,” is more interesting than “these people don’t want extra congestion on their tiny street from filming crews.” “The landlords won’t rent to us because of our lifestyle” is more interesting than “the landlords aren’t interested in having their rental property and any potential issues being displayed on national television.”

I believe they all had rentals when they first moved but then Robyn’s landlord was selling the house. Meri’s landlord wanted her out. Then her second house sold.

also the whole comment of “we need to make sure our landlords are ok with our plural family or it can be an issue.” I don’t buy that. There are laws against discrimination. The true issue is them filming in these homes. Apparently the neighbors near Meri’s first house weren’t against them being polygamists. They didn’t want the camera crews and extra unnecessary traffic the show brought into their small culdesac. (I believe it was a culdesac) And her land lord was being pressured by the neighbors.
You cannot discriminate against a protected class. Pretty sure you can say no to a group that, by their own admission, are violating state law.

That’s exactly why I think it’s crap. They mean some landlords aren’t ok with them filming in their home but for ratings they make it all scandalous.

Perhaps but it isn't like they can keep it a secret. If they weren't reality TV stars they could get away with not telling the landlord but since they are.....

Maybe I’m just dumb but exactly what law is he breaking in AZ? He’s legally married to one woman and sleeping with 3 other women. People sleeping with other people while they’re married isn’t anything new. He’s not legally married to them. I could see it being a crime if he legally married all of them.

Maybe I’m just dumb but exactly what law is he breaking in AZ? He’s legally married to one woman and sleeping with 3 other women. People sleeping with other people while they’re married isn’t anything new. He’s not legally married to them. I could see it being a crime if he legally married all of them.
I’ve wondered this too

You cannot discriminate against a protected class. Pretty sure you can say no to a group that, by their own admission, are violating state law.
I wouldn’t say they’re “violating” the law as much as skirting it. All I could find was the Arizona Constitution which says “Polygamous or plural marriages, or polygamous co-habitation, are forever prohibited within this state.” Which would also be another item in the “Con” column for the one big house, but since the wives are not co-habitating currently they’re not technically breaking the law?

I wouldn’t say they’re “violating” the law as much as skirting it. All I could find was the Arizona Constitution which says “Polygamous or plural marriages, or polygamous co-habitation, are forever prohibited within this state.” Which would also be another item in the “Con” column for the one big house, but since the wives are not co-habitating currently they’re not technically breaking the law?
By their own very public and prominent description they are polygamists in a plural marriage. They are breaking the law.

By their own very public and prominent description they are polygamists in a plural marriage. They are breaking the law.
Yeah but spiritual marriages do not hold the same weight in the eyes of the law as legal marriages. Kody is only legally married to Robyn. I can publicly proclaim to be married to Chris Evans, but that doesn’t make it legally true or binding.

Yeah but spiritual marriages do not hold the same weight in the eyes of the law as legal marriages. Kody is only legally married to Robyn. I can publicly proclaim to be married to Chris Evans, but that doesn’t make it legally true or binding.

But would it come with side benefits like date nights? Because if that's the case I may declare myself married to Cap too.

How can something illegal be done legally? There is no such thing as legal plural marriage. And if the distinction you make holds, why did they ever leave Utah? What fear of prosecution could they, or any polygamist have?

This is what has honestly always confused me about the illegality if plural marriage. What exactly is illegal? I understand you cannot collect the benefits of a “spouse” that isn’t actually a legal spouse, that would be illegal. But saying your married and even all living together isn’t illegal. Where I live in order to collect state assistance you need to file to receive child support from the father of any children you want to collect assistance for. I’m not sure if that’s law where they are. (There was something upthread talking about assistance)

How can something illegal be done legally? There is no such thing as legal plural marriage. And if the distinction you make holds, why did they ever leave Utah? What fear of prosecution could they, or any polygamist have?

I think they said Utah also considers 'purporting' plural marriage to be illegal.

So, if they don’t want to see Kody with the other wives, do they watch the show? They would certainly see the date nights and such

I think they said Utah also considers 'purporting' plural marriage to be illegal.
Exactly. Utah put legislation in place that included criminalizing purported marriages.

How can something illegal be done legally? There is no such thing as legal plural marriage.
Most, but not all, anti-polygamy laws were put in place before things like state IDs and social security numbers. Back when records were kept manually and mostly locally, people could, and did “legally” marry more than one person. Of course if they were caught, subsequent marriages would be annulled or invalidated, but it did happen. It still can technically but it’s a lot harder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter