slo’s TUESDAY 5/2 poll - Musical Instruments

Musical Instruments - How many do you play?

Votes: 8 9.8%

Votes: 12 14.6%

Votes: 4 4.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 7 or more

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • None - I used to play a musical instrument(s) at one time

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • None - I’ve never played a musical instrument

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
None as of now.

I played percussion for a few years in high school. I liked the timpani and marimba the best.

And I won't call my 4th grade violin as playing. Oh sure, I learned songs and thought I was good ... I wasn't. :rolleyes1
But hey, I had fun.

I had an acoustic guitar when I was a teenager. A friend and I would hang out on his back porch and chord out about 20 songs.

We each went away to different colleges--I didn't even pick up my guitar, while he took lessons and got much better. The next time we got together it was painful, and I gave it up. :(

I think I might try learning piano eventually. I think the manual dexterity and mental agility would be good for me.

DW is very musically inclined--she plays piano and flute, and sings in our church choir.

Can I vote 1/2 ? 😆

Thanks to learning songs by number one of these as a kid:

I can still pick out a couple of simple tunes on a keyboard, but I can't really play.

I can still play piano but rarely do so not as well as I did. We have a piano in the home, I played clarinet in high school. My daughter plays clarinet as well in band and I can pick it up and still remember the scale so I could probably play a simple song if I tried.

I had to choose Other. I 'played' melody flute and bells in elementary school, but pretty much every kid did. I remember very clearly being in a recital playing a song that I have mercifully blocked out with the rest of my class. There was a 'dramatic' pause in the song and all was quiet-except for me, because I hit the bell to start the next part of the song all by myself. "DING!" Sounded like a bomb going off in the quiet auditorium, yikes.

I also took about a half-year of organ lessons. At the recital I had been chosen to play 'A Touch of Boogie.' To this day I wonder why the person who wrote it thought that you could boogie to organ music. Anyway, I DREADED the recital because whenever the poor schlub chosen to play this tune in years past announced the name of the song, all the kids would snicker. Touch a boogie, get it? That year I was the schlub, and yes I got snickered at. And I stunk the auditorium up with my lousy playing of the song because I was upset and embarrassed. The next class after the recital I was let go. I've never been so happy in my life.

I was in the glee club for a few years although I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

I played the flute (not well but it was overall fun) for many years while growing up. God used my kind flute lesson teacher as an extra positive person in my life especially one more challenging summer. With my tmj, as I grew older, this woodwind instrument became harder to play and sadly was no longer enjoyable. In college, I briefly tried tenor sax which overall was easier than the flute just so heavy🎷I have been blessed to have gotten to be part of choirs both in high school and church. Enjoyed those experiences a ton more. Dad plays the piano 🎹

I used to play the piano a little, then the glockenspiel for one year in high school band, because I heard that band was a good place to pick up boys. It wasn't, hence only the one year. What's ironic is that DS is a professional trumpet player in NYC. When he started with the trumpet in 6th grade, he had to do it for 3 months, then he could choose to continue or give it up. We were so sure, with family history, that he'd give it up, that we were unprepared at the end of the 3 months. There was only one school he wanted to study trumpet at in college, and he fought me on applying anywhere else. Where did we get him?

7th graders in the public schools here all learn to play the Recorder. So I used to know how to play that and I took piano lessons for many years, and played trumpet.

Guitar-40+ years
You don't know how many times I've been tempted to PM you asking if "Stratman" was a guitar guy, and now I don't have to bother you.:)

I don't play any longer, but I played guitar and keyboard through high school and originally intended to be a music major. While I don't play now, I did remember enough to help DGD get started on piano.

You don't know how many times I've been tempted to PM you asking if "Stratman" was a guitar guy, and now I don't have to bother you.:)

I don't play any longer, but I played guitar and keyboard through high school and originally intended to be a music major. While I don't play now, I did remember enough to help DGD get started on piano.
Some of the family.......

Aug 07' 008.jpg

I taught middle school band and orchestra for 32 years so technically I can play all the instruments. My main instruments for band were flute and piccolo and for orchestra was the viola.

I cannot play the piano to save my life.

If I could go back in time and pick a different instrument, it would be French Horn for band and cello for orchestra.

I took 8 years of piano lessons, beginning in 4th grade. I can still play anything as long as I can practice first. I’ve never been much of a sight-reader. I played flute, guitar and violin in the past but never kept up with any of them.

Drums.... neighbors complained all the time about the noise. After that I loved driving the neighbors crazy when I was a kid.

I used to play Piano and Clarinet, but it has been years and years since I have played either. I feel like some of it would probably come back to me if I tried to pick it up again, but it would take lots of practice.

As a drummer/percussionist, it's hard to specify how many individual instruments I play. So I broke mine down into number of categories I play as someone who beats on things, therefore 3 which each requires a different skill set.s

Traditional Trap Set: 1 Acoustic (Sonor) set, 2 Electronic (Roland) sets.
Percussion: Cajon, Bodhrán, Cow Bell (always need more cow bell).
Alternative: Zendrum (yes, like Mo Rockin and other WDW musicians used to use).

SouthParkDrums.jpg

As a drummer/percussionist, it's hard to specify how many individual instruments I play. So I broke mine down into number of categories I play as someone who beats on things, therefore 3 which each requires a different skill set.s

Traditional Trap Set: 1 Acoustic (Sonor) set, 2 Electronic (Roland) sets.
Percussion: Cajon, Bodhrán, Cow Bell (always need more cow bell).
Alternative: Zendrum (yes, like Mo Rockin and other WDW musicians used to use).

View attachment 757995
I posted upthread already but I thought this worth mentioning. When I was a pre-teen, up to early teens I was in a drum and bugle corps. I played trumpet so I figured that's where they would put me. Nope. They needed people in the drum line. They'd teach me they said. It would be easy they said.
Now close your eyes and picture a freshly landed fish flailing around in the bottom of a boat. That is a good description of my drumming ability. Yes, i ended up playing the trumpet, then everyone got a single valve bugle. That is the extent of my drumming.

Currently, I play alto sax fairly well and piano fairly poorly. I used to play clarinet, oboe and soprano sax as well, but haven't picked up any of those since high school so I don't know if or how well they'd come back to me now. And I love messing around on my kids' guitars but don't practice in any organized enough sense to feel like I know how to play it; I can pick out a few riffs and the chords to a couple of favorite songs, but that's it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter