slo’s WEDNESDAY 8/9 poll - Stanley Travel Tumbler

Stanley Travel Tumbler - Do you have one, what’s your opinion of it or do you want one? (M.C.)

• I have a Stanley Travel Tumbler

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • I do not have a Stanley Travel Tumbler

Votes: 71 67.6%
  • I like it

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • It’s just ok

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t like it

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I want a Stanley Travel Tumbler - I’m getting one soon

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I want a Stanley Travel Tumbler - I’m not sure when I’ll get one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not want a Stanley Travel Tumbler

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • I’ve never heard of a Stanley Travel Tumbler

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters
I have two "travel" mugs that I use a knockoff Yeti from Walmart at home so my coffee stays hot while I sip it. And I use a Yeti that I "borrowed" from my daughter at work for the same reason.

I do not have one, but youngest DD has one in a pretty lavender color. She loves it. She works part time at Dick’s and with her discount and some store gift cards she had for going “above and beyond” it didn’t cost her very much.

I have a number of yeti cups. One really big one (rambler I think) that I use only for water—usually on a long sports day with DD—saves me from buying ridiculously priced water; 2 large ones that I alternate daily with my iced tea for the day; one medium sized one that I use for hot drinks when out and about and a small one that is wine glass shaped. I rarely drink out of anything else.

If for some reason I needed another cup I wouldn’t be against a Stanley, but I’ve been using these for years and they are still going strong.

If I get one sure but not running out to get one . Lots of lots of other types But I use my Starbucks tumbler regularly.

I was unfamiliar with them until this past weekend. I was in a store, and the person I was with pointed them out to me, adding that they had some friends who swear by them.

I don’t typically have beverages with me in the car. I do have a Bubba that someone gave me many years ago that I pack in my suitcase once or twice a year at most.

I do not have a Stanley travel tumbler, nor do I want one.

That said, I seem to have accumulated "a collection" of Lincoln Trail and Ozark Trail travel tumblers. I have a variety of colors, I try to coordinate with my outfit or mood for any given day. I mainly use the 20oz-ish ones for coffee (which is what I use them for the most). The 32-ish oz ones, are for pop if I am going somewhere during the day and not drinking coffee. I use those big ones a lot less. None of those tumblers have handles. I do not think I would want one with a handle.

I DO have a couple of the Lincoln Trail specifically designed coffee cups sized ones that are the same material. I found them at Rural King on clearance or sale or something for like $3 for a pair of them that have handles. I barely use them because they will NOT fit in the cupholders in my car. The only time I use them is if I am going to be moving around the house a lot and sipping coffee, they definitely do a good job of keeping the coffee hot. Unfortunately not being able to get one in my car's cupholder pretty much makes them useless for travel.

I have a Disney Tervis wine tumbler that I use as my "sippy cup" for drinking wine outside.

Well, I finally caved to "peer pressure" and got a Stanley Cup. I found one on Amazon at a discount or sale (still probably overpaid at like $35). It's pretty nice, I full it with diet pop and it lasts me quite a while. Of course I fell down te rabbit hole of charms and straw caps.

I still use my knock off stuff for coffee, bow i end up carrying 2 cups.

I do not want or need a Stanley. I have a Yeti that I fill with ice water when I go to bed and the water is still cold the next evening.

I had never heard of the Stanley tumblers, nor knew how popular they are. I really need a 40 oz tumblr. With a smaller water bottle, I'd fill it up in the morning and run out of water just as I'm settling down somewhere and it was always at an inconvenient time. :headache: The 40 oz gets me through the day nicely.

I happened upon a cheaper knock-off, for half price at TJ Maxx, called a Hydraflow. Unfortunately, it really IS a knock-off and only worth half the price. It has the airhole in the wrong place. It clogs up with water condensation and then the water chugs out in spurts. :badpc: I finally took a serving fork and inserted one of the tines in and drilled the airhole in the plastic cover larger. That seems to work for now. I'm waiting for it to start leaking. I won't be getting this brand again. I may switch to a Stanley if they are better.

I never heard of these until a few months ago when I read about people going insane over the exclusive Valentine's Day Stanley cup being sold at Target. I was perplexed so I read more about it and became even more flabbergasted when I saw videos of young girls totally freaking out with excitement when they opened one of these things on Christmas morning like it was Taylor Swift concert tickets or something. Definitely one of the strangest fads I've seen in a while, but to each her own.

Now I see so many knockoffs all over the place. For me personally the 40 oz. size is absurdly large so for that reason alone I'm not interested. There are other more reasonably sized stainless steel tumblers on the market.

I was perplexed so I read more about it and became even more flabbergasted when I saw videos of young girls totally freaking out with excitement when they opened one of these things on Christmas morning like it was Taylor Swift concert tickets or something. Definitely one of the strangest fads I've seen in a while, but to each her own.

It's actually a cultural phenomenon for Gen Z and millennials called "Emotional Support Water Bottles." I happened upon a post on TikTok of someone calling it that and going crazy over her tumbler, and I thought she was crazy. Then I found this article on it:

"The hashtag #emotionalsupportwaterbottle has clocked just over 53.3 million views (as of Aug 2022) — and counting. If you explore the hashtag, you'll find a young woman clutching her bottle on her first day of a nursing placement, adorably excitable bottle unboxing videos and of course, calming nighttime routines that involve a lot of icy water.​
"Gorgeous, gorgeous girls have emotional support water bottles," proclaims creator Sienna Kitchener. "My non-negotiables are a straw, insulation and that it looks hot," says Aussie creator Starr McGee when asking for water bottle recommendations.​
For young Aussie girls, the classic Frank Green bottle has basically become an aesthetic statement in itself too.​
Like many recent cultural phenomenons, the pandemic's immense impact on our psyche can be partly attributed to our water bottle dependence. [. . . ]​
". . . our lives were thrown into disarray, and thus we were all searching for a sense of comfort. Some of us found it in reruns of our favourite teen dramas, and others found it in the object permanence of a big, beautiful water bottle.​
Object attachment is probably something most of us thought we were over when our parents packed away our favourite plush toys and blankies for good. However, given the initial months of lockdown had us regressing to our childhood comforts, its prevalence makes sense.
"Object attachment is the experience a person has when they feel an emotional attachment to an inanimate object and may even feel a sense of loss if they were to part with the object," reads a 2020 study conducted around object attachment as we get older.
TikToker Maia Knight perfectly sums up our collective feelings towards our many emotional support objects in this video — as the chaos of everyday life grows, our 'things' (or reliable little treats, as TikTok would say) become our only form of grounding.​
"But there really is truth to the fact that almost nothing relieves my anxiety quite like knowing that, wherever I am, I have the ability to pause, take a sip of water, and continue onwards," said Refinery29 writer Emma Truetsky last year, echoing the sentiment.​
I similarly identify as an emotional support water bottle girlie. My favourite vessel comes everywhere with me — to the gym, work, sitting pretty in the passenger seat while running errands. It's a new two-litre, colossal pink Frank Green one that has transformed my water intake and morphed into a fifth limb recently. On days without it, I genuinely feel a little frazzled and confused at the thought of having to buy a single-use plastic bottle. In saying this, a water bottle's environmental friendliness could be another contributing factor to why Gen Z and millennials have latched onto the trend — it's an easy (and cute) way to show mother nature a little TLC."​

Another article said:

"My sister-in-law, Jordan, owns one that is covered in stickers. When I asked her why she calls it an emotional support water bottle, her answer moved me in a sense.​
She said, “I struggle with severe social anxiety, and going back to the office gives me anxiety. So, having something to hold that was with me at home and decorated the way I wanted it to be, makes me feel sort of, at ease.”​

Last edited:
I read an article in the paper about them which is how I heard of them. No current need for the product as I’m not camping and I don’t drive. Further, I dislike eating and drinking in large containers; personal quirk.

My daughter has one but she had to buy it with her own money. She and her friend made some money selling bracelets they made and she did some chores for her grandparents. Because no way was I buying a 35 dollar water cup.

We do have other tumblers in the house like Ozark trail that I've had for eons, a couple of clearance Tervis cups and some yeti cups we won at events and stuff like that. The kids take water bottles to school and sports practices and so on. I don't have any particular brand loyalty or need to get something just because someone else has one. If it keeps a drink cool and doesn't leak all over the place, great.

Other. We have a Stanley classic thermos (holds about 6 cups). We use on long trips and as a coffee carafe when we have company and need to continuously brew coffee. It's got to be 40 years old.

View attachment 784179
Yeah - I've had one of these for about 30 years.

I have a steel travel mug as well -we have one for each of us - the only reason to get different colors.
I got this one in 2018 and its only $15 for a 30oz cup.

1713186142632.png
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XMH3W2?psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_ct_GVVV08WAXXNY74KC492N

The craze around the Stanley one is a bit ridiculous IMO.
Even more ridiculous is needing one in each color just to match your outfit...but I guess its been good for the Stanley company.

I was going to buy one for my daughter this year. I'm late to the game, never heard about them until a couple of months ago. And then it came out about the possibility of lead. That the small circle area on the bottom contains lead. Then I lost interest.

We have a couple. I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the country, but a Stanley 40oz quencher and a Bogg Bag are pretty standard in the world of sports moms in our circles...but it's really been the last year or two where it's become sort of a staple. My main one is tigerlily, but I let DD17 use my other one that's maple glow. I know some people are obsessed with getting all of the new limited release colors, but I don't need a collection. As it is, I recently got a "stanley-esque" one from work that's branded with employer stuff.

1713191167759.png1713191225765.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter