Soarin over California

Tattylou

DIS Veteran
I’ll be there Monday - is it currently the Soarin over California? The website has it listed as over California, but then I see a lot says that’s only for Food and Wine (which doesn’t start til March 1). Anyone there now and know for sure either way? Ty

Ohhhh really???? Yay!! We are going there tomorrow! I hope it still is
Thanks!
I'm not sure the other commenter is correct, unfortunately... or maybe they mean "still World." The official calendar view online shows it switching on 3/1, and if you look at live wait times in the app right now, it's still Soarin' Around the World.

Hoping I'm wrong and it ends up being California since you clearly love the ride, but just tempering expectations 😭

I think that poster got caught in the wrong forum - it's still California at Epcot, not DCA. (Epcot's had California since September, and people keep wondering when it will go away.)
Wait, what?? Soarin' Over California is screening at Epcot? And does your last phrase mean that WDW visitors are tired of it? We'd be happy to have it in California permanently!

Wait, what?? Soarin' Over California is screening at Epcot? And does your last phrase mean that WDW visitors are tired of it? We'd be happy to have it in California permanently!

One of my friends and I thought that since DCA Soarin has two screens, one of them should run Soarin' Over the World on a permanent basis, and the other run Soarin' Over California on a permanent basis, and then let people pick which one they want to see before they get in line or at some point later in the line.

I am one of those people who prefers the California version to the World version.

Weirdly, it's kind of half-and-half - some folks are worried it'll leave Epcot before an upcoming trip, but some folks are ready to get World back. California's big for the folks who remember it from the old days - but there's almost a new generation now (especially at WDW) who are seeing it for the first time, and there are definitely some issues that they don't enjoy.

This will sound strange - I saw it at Epcot in November, and, honestly, I think it plays better at DCA. At least, my screenings of it here were more fun. At Epcot, I couldn't help but notice the flaws - just seemed more glaring. (I'm assuming the theaters are the same, so I can't imagine it was anything but me.)

In my mind, California is clearly the better film content-wise - but the flaws in how it was made (due to the old technology) make it a bit of a frustrating watch. Like the downtown flyover section has always been a motion-sickness inducer for me because of the speed-up. The CG glider's movement doesn't match the camera movement, too - same problem. Stuff like that - people who've never seen it before are having those same issues. World is definitely built for a more modern viewer.

Like, I'd love it if they'd just give California a modern remaster - stabilize the downtown flyover, for example. It doesn't seem like it'd be an expensive undertaking. (Honestly, the captures on YouTube are more stable than the actual film - since modern cameras auto-stabilize.)

Btw - if there's any agreement among the factions - everybody hates World's Bending Tower of Eiffel (lol).

Last edited:
In my mind, California is clearly the better film content-wise - but the flaws in how it was made (due to the old technology) make it a bit of a frustrating watch. Like the downtown flyover section has always been a motion-sickness inducer for me because of the speed-up. The CG glider's movement doesn't match the camera movement, too - same problem. Stuff like that - people who've never seen it before are having those same issues. World is definitely built for a more modern viewer.

Like, I'd love it if they'd just give California a modern remaster - stabilize the downtown flyover, for example. It doesn't seem like it'd be an expensive undertaking. (Honestly, the captures on YouTube are more stable than the actual film - since modern cameras auto-stabilize.)
As I mentioned recently in another thread, I'd love to see the original version completely refilmed. Then they could fix the Lake Tahoe segment, in addition to the issues you mentioned.

One of my friends and I thought that since DCA Soarin has two screens, one of them should run Soarin' Over the World on a permanent basis, and the other run Soarin' Over California on a permanent basis, and then let people pick which one they want to see before they get in line or at some point later in the line.

I am one of those people who prefers the California version to the World version.

The problem with that is that the California side would be packed and the World side might be... less so. Us West Coast Disney people are very devoted to our OG Soarin' Over California.

Like I am always always always always going to choose California over World if I had a choice. (Even though I do agree that California could use some high res updates.)

I'd be fine if both locations always kept California. I am not a fan of World. However, I will say that it makes complete sense for Soarin' over California to be at California Adventure and Soarin' Around the World to be at Epcot. But Soarin' Over California is the superior ride.

This is truly a great idea! This should be done. I too prefer the California version. I am still trying to find a candle that smells like the orange groves after all these years LOL

This is truly a great idea! This should be done. I too prefer the California version. I am still trying to find a candle that smells like the orange groves after all these years LOL
I believe the scent is the problem with them splitting theaters. I believe I saw that they are unable to direct the scent to just one area. From what I understood is it is all or nothing.

For me I would take All as I love that scent :)

I believe the scent is the problem with them splitting theaters. I believe I saw that they are unable to direct the scent to just one area. From what I understood is it is all or nothing.

For me I would take All as I love that scent :)
I thought there were walls between the two sides. Does the scent really travel from once side to the other?

I thought there were walls between the two sides. Does the scent really travel from once side to the other?
Yes there are walls but it’s not that the scent is traveling through the walls but how it is pumped into the theater. Again I could certainly be wrong but I thought I had read that it was simply an on/off control and there was no way to individually control it per theater.

Yes there are walls but it’s not that the scent is traveling through the walls but how it is pumped into the theater. Again I could certainly be wrong but I thought I had read that it was simply an on/off control and there was no way to individually control it per theater.
Interesting. I never would have thought of that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter