Soda questions

It's just not something I care to worry about. I'm guessing the number of people hospitalized from soda fountains is pretty low.
Not something I spend a lot of time worrying about, nor am I the soda machine police, but I do see wisdom in the rule, particularly on a ship.

DS13 got sick from the ice cream machine. He said it was coming out melty (poor weather day, so I don't think there was as much throughput either). He was sick a few hours after eating it, like throwing up. Then fine by the morning. I do wonder if someone put a used cone to the machine to get seconds of ice cream, or was it just faulty, giving bacteria a chance to grow? Anyway, it put him off the free soft ice cream for the rest of the cruise, as you can imagine.

Not something I spend a lot of time worrying about, nor am I the soda machine police, but I do see wisdom in the rule, particularly on a ship.

DS13 got sick from the ice cream machine. He said it was coming out melty (poor weather day, so I don't think there was as much throughput either). He was sick a few hours after eating it, like throwing up. Then fine by the morning. I do wonder if someone put a used cone to the machine to get seconds of ice cream, or was it just faulty, giving bacteria a chance to grow? Anyway, it put him off the free soft ice cream for the rest of the cruise, as you can imagine.
Frozen yogurt and ice cream machines don't always get cleaned properly. Too much free ice cream can also be a problem.

I'm asking for clarification for my Diet Coke addicted relatives.

1) how is the flavor of the Diet Coke in the fountains?
2) is there a limit of how many cans you can carry on?
3) can you bring your own cup to use at the fountain?
4) is there some drink package so you don't have to trek up to the fountains every time you need a refill?

Sheesh. Heaven help us if these two are short on their Diet Coke supply for one beeping day.
If they really LOVE their diet coke, then they may not like the fountain diet coke out on the open deck. It tastes a little "off" to me. Be ready for complaints from them about the taste.

If they really LOVE their diet coke, then they may not like the fountain diet coke out on the open deck. It tastes a little "off" to me. Be ready for complaints from them about the taste.

I think it's the way the carbonated water/soda syrup mix is set up. I've noticed that it tends to be a little heavier on the syrup versus carbonated water, which makes it taste kinda flat.

I would think that there are worse germs on the soda fountain push buttons. I just wonder how often cast members wipe those down, as well as the elevator buttons!?

The difference is that you can get by without putting your contaminated fingers in your mouth, but a contaminated cup, by the nature of the way you ingest the contents, *will* come in contact with your mouth.

Count me as one of the people who hates the taste of the Diet Coke on the ship. I drink about a liter a day of Diet Coke and it tastes so different on the cruise ship. I stick to iced tea. I think it is less carbonated maybe? Different water used? Just different. I go thru detox and the shakes and finally get my fix when I head off the ship to the nearest Wawa or gas station to buy a large fountain soda Diet Coke :)

On the Dream cruise we just finished (review coming soon), my DW also noticed the DC and the Coke Zero (yes, they have Coke Zero in a few machines) were a bit "off". I really didn't notice it, but she is very particular about her DC.

We had large soda mugs for ourselves and for each refill, including ice, I used a fresh cup, never filled our mugs directly from the machines. Didn't find this to be an issue.

Also, for those who need diet soda over regular, from the same soda machines, the cruise also offers Lite Lemonade, and, something i really enjoyed, Lite Pomegranate Lemonade which had a very nice tart taste and was caffeine free so we could drink it in the evenings.

OWD

I don’t think people
Obviously some here have never been afflicted with the Bazooka Bug while onboard because of nasty people passing their nasty germs. Unwashed hands, people who board even though they've been sick with some form of AGE the week before at the World, children handling food on the buffet and then putting it back, etc. lead to some really bad stuff going around. If you can just be inconvenienced for a couple of extra steps to actually use a separate cup, as requested, to refill your 64 oz. Guzzler with sugary syrup water instead of passing your microbes on to the next person it would be much appreciated. It's called common courtesy. The main problem is that common courtesy doesn't seem to be all that common anymore.
i suspect at least as many people are avoiding waste as inconvenience.

I don’t think people

i suspect at least as many people are avoiding waste as inconvenience.

Have you *been* on a Disney cruise? Waste is the last thing on the majority of guests' minds if you judge it by the amount of food they take from the buffet and then throw away. They'll *really* think waste when they're ejecting their evening meal forcefully from multiple orifices because someone passed on their AGE ostensibly because they didn't want to "waste" a .$005 cup.

1) how is the flavor of the Diet Coke in the fountains?
Tastes like Diet coke to me
2) is there a limit of how many cans you can carry on?
one six pack
3) can you bring your own cup to use at the fountain?
yes but please don't use it then put it on the soda fountain

4) is there some drink package so you don't have to trek up to the fountains every time you need a refill?
why do you need a drink package when it is free

Have you *been* on a Disney cruise? Waste is the last thing on the majority of guests' minds if you judge it by the amount of food they take from the buffet and then throw away. They'll *really* think waste when they're ejecting their evening meal forcefully from multiple orifices because someone passed on their AGE ostensibly because they didn't want to "waste" a .$005 cup.
Waste from an environmental perspective as well.

I really didn’t pay attention to how much food other people were taking.

I really don't like the taste of Diet Coke anywhere. I'm hoping for Coke Zero as it tastes a lot better. Oh well, maybe if it's only Diet Coke I will do as usual and rink more water.

it doesn't seem like an inconvenience to grab a fresh cup to fill your large mug. Please be considerate. You are on a cruise ship where germs can run rampant and some guests might have compromised immune systems.

I really hope they have Coke Zero on the cruise when I go. I really don’t like any of the other choices. Even if I have to walk a bit farther to get. It justifies all the food I will eat.

We were on the Dream last week and Coke Zero was on two of the soda fountains. There is a set on each side of the main pool, one side had DC and the other had Coke Zero. Most of the stations in Cabanas had DC, but as I recall, at least one had Coke Zero. So you should be able to find it.

OWD

Hi everyone. What are the chances of cherry Coke, Fanta or fruit juices in the MDR on magic this summer? And would they not be additional cost?

Hi everyone. What are the chances of cherry Coke, Fanta or fruit juices in the MDR on magic this summer? And would they not be additional cost?

Cherry Coke is my go to drink but they do not have the real Cherry Coke anywhere on board. When I request a Cherry Coke in the MDRs, I get a Coke with a bunch of maraschino cherries in it. Not even close but good enough for me.

No cherry coke but they will make you Roy Rogers or Shirley Temples. My boys drink them every night, no extra cost. Fruit juice is also available at no extra cost.

Cherry Coke is my go to drink but they do not have the real Cherry Coke anywhere on board. When I request a Cherry Coke in the MDRs, I get a Coke with a bunch of maraschino cherries in it. Not even close but good enough for me.

Oooh never tried that, but it sounds like something I could get involved in :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter