Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. Harrison Ford is Solo. Unless you find a young guy that looks like a young Ford and sounds like him, you are going to to have a hard time convincing me its Han Solo.

They need to do Rogue one type of movies or do non "face" characters like Boba or Jabba or something.

This! If you're making a movie about Han Solo then cast someone who at least resembles him!

It's tough though because if you try to find someone that looks exactly like Harrison Ford then people will compare every little thing and view him as a cheap knock-off ... so in some ways better to go in a slightly different direction (as long as long as he captures the spirit of Han)

Not really a fair comparison, but everyone who has played James Bond doesn't look like Sean Connery but it still works ok - you just have to go in knowing it isn't Harrison Ford and enjoy it for what it is vs what it isn't (at least my view)

It's tough though because if you try to find someone that looks exactly like Harrison Ford then people will compare every little thing and view him as a cheap knock-off ... so in some ways better to go in a slightly different direction (as long as long as he captures the spirit of Han)

Not really a fair comparison, but everyone who has played James Bond doesn't look like Sean Connery but it still works ok - you just have to go in knowing it isn't Harrison Ford and enjoy it for what it is vs what it isn't (at least my view)

I completely agree with this. I want to see it and will try to have an open mind. I feel for the young actor who is cast as Han. That's a tough role to jump into. You're not going to be everyone's idea of Han Solo. And comparing him to Harrison Ford is just setting Him up for failure. I hope at least they encouraged him to find his own Han and find the essence of the character.

I'm more looking forward to Lando in the film. Donald Glover is so likeable that I'm going to be watching mainly for him.
Yep - I'm in it for Donald Glover. It looks like fun and I'm not that invested. I loved Rogue One and thought The Last Jedi was woefully uneven, so who knows where I'll end up with Solo.

Just watched the new trailer..looks interesting. Saw enough that I will see it in the theater. Woody Harrelson is a always fun to watch and elevates his movies. Although so does Forest Whitaker and he couldn't save the mess of Rogue One.

Yeah, I liked it at the theater but that was more about the final scene. Rewatching it all the randomness bothered me. Like why didn't they just land on his house to abduct him, why don't they spend more than 5 minutes looking for his daughter, what was with the pilot and the mind reading monster, what was Forest Whitaker doing in the movie(thought his character was cool just not a reason to be there). Why did all these people trust each other. Why didn't Jinn get the redemption by killing Hux instead of the other dude.

Some of the visuals were fantastic, specifically the final battle, the acting was great and the finale pay-off was great.

Just watched the new trailer..looks interesting. Saw enough that I will see it in the theater. Woody Harrelson is a always fun to watch and elevates his movies. Although so does Forest Whitaker and he couldn't save the mess of Rogue One.

Yeah, I liked it at the theater but that was more about the final scene. Rewatching it all the randomness bothered me. Like why didn't they just land on his house to abduct him, why don't they spend more than 5 minutes looking for his daughter, what was with the pilot and the mind reading monster, what was Forest Whitaker doing in the movie(thought his character was cool just not a reason to be there). Why did all these people trust each other. Why didn't Jinn get the redemption by killing Hux instead of the other dude.

Some of the visuals were fantastic, specifically the final battle, the acting was great and the finale pay-off was great.

It's interesting how divisive Rouge One is .... personally I loved it (I currently have it ranked as my 2nd favorite Star Wars movie) but I know quite a few people who hated it

I get your points about the holes - but every Star Wars movie has holes ... heck, why didn't the empire shoot down the escape pod in A New Hope just to be safe? Stuff like that

People don't seem to be stagnating over Marvel films so I wonder why with Star Wars

This is an interesting question. For me the Marvel movies have been moving to a goal to the big event. Some of the movies have been un-even and some repetitive but it still feels like it's moving to that goal. When Avengers 4 releases that might be enough for me not sure I'm ready for the new Avengers or hero's taking new roles. But right now I'm enjoying the ride.

As far as Star Wars. To me it's to much the same TFA(it's the same movie as ANH) or to much left field TLJ. I feel they should have brought Lucas in to help with episode 7-9 or just started with episode 18 without the old crew. An analogy I like is what if JK Rowling didn't have the energy to write books 6 and 7 so she had Georg R.R. Martin write them.

So my fatigue is I want to love the new Star Wars but I keep getting disappointed and my interesting is dwindling. Kind of like the Vikings keep getting my hopes up than well maybe next year.

This is an interesting question. For me the Marvel movies have been moving to a goal to the big event. Some of the movies have been un-even and some repetitive but it still feels like it's moving to that goal. When Avengers 4 releases that might be enough for me not sure I'm ready for the new Avengers or hero's taking new roles. But right now I'm enjoying the ride.

As far as Star Wars. To me it's to much the same TFA(it's the same movie as ANH) or to much left field TLJ. I feel they should have brought Lucas in to help with episode 7-9 or just started with episode 18 without the old crew. An analogy I like is what if JK Rowling didn't have the energy to write books 6 and 7 so she had Georg R.R. Martin write them.

So my fatigue is I want to love the new Star Wars but I keep getting disappointed and my interesting is dwindling. Kind of like the Vikings keep getting my hopes up than well maybe next year.

So in your analogy does Rian Johnson = Kirk Cousins?

Currently that honor goes to Case Keenum (failed when really needed).

But there's always next year for Kirk to be the next RJ.

ok, yeah, I was thinking Cousins being the big name to come in and raise expectations (like Johnson did for Last Jedi) - I would see Keenum more like Ron Howard who had to come in "off the bench" to try and lead the team to victory

Trailer # 2:

I dropped in to see what other folks thought - only to find that this thread has been dormant for over a month. I've got a bad feeling about this...

First half of the trailer had me interested. Then it looks like it becomes another generic action movie. Blah.

ok, yeah, I was thinking Cousins being the big name to come in and raise expectations (like Johnson did for Last Jedi) - I would see Keenum more like Ron Howard who had to come in "off the bench" to try and lead the team to victory

Gotcha-yes that makes sense, and is very likely the outcome.

I don’t know about that. Rogue One was successful and who knows Solo might be as well which could lead to more. There is definitely more emphasis on the series/trilogies though.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought more movies were announced for individual characters?

I am not nearly as excited about the movie as I was about others.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought more movies were announced for individual characters?

I am not nearly as excited about the movie as I was about others.
We don't know specifics on those other movies yet. There is a rumor that one of the new shows or movies will be about the Rogue One characters that weren't Jedi but were force sensitive. I am drawing a blank on the characters name (bling guy).

We don't know specifics on those other movies yet. There is a rumor that one of the new shows or movies will be about the Rogue One characters that weren't Jedi but were force sensitive. I am drawing a blank on the characters name (bling guy).

The Guardians of the Whill?

I think this will be the one that most will probably hate but the die hard will like.

The more and more clips I see, I think the new solo is fine

It's interesting how divisive Rouge One is .... personally I loved it (I currently have it ranked as my 2nd favorite Star Wars movie) but I know quite a few people who hated it

I get your points about the holes - but every Star Wars movie has holes ... heck, why didn't the empire shoot down the escape pod in A New Hope just to be safe? Stuff like that

The gunner didn't want to do the paperwork for shooting a escape pod which was required by the Imperial Senate to make sure that the Navy didnt just shoot everyone without review procedures and checks in place. On top of that since the escape pod had no life form readings so it would also hurt the gunners kill % which their performance reviews were based.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter