• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Something About Nothing ... #12

LOL......That is what is considered a Trifle here in the US. That is a Trifle pedestal bowl. I have one just like it.....I picked a picture that had sponge cake, fruit and layers of whip cream.....the other pics had the gross custard and jello layers. Not a fan of custard or sprinkles in Trifle. It is something I rarely make and if I do I make one with white sponge cake, strawberry’s and whip cream......so it would be a layered strawberry shortcake in essence or strawberry Trifle....which ever you choose to call it.

Schumigirl your description of a Trifle and the box ingredients are not at all appealingly....I get why you don’t like it......I would not like layers of alcohol soaked sponge cake, custard, jello and whip cream and sprinkles either.

I watched an English baking show the other day and the contestants had to make these massive Victorian meat pies in decorative crusts and a side of meat jelly (aspic). One of the judges took a big bit of the meat jelly and said how lovely it was.....had to turn the channel on that one.

In the Sixties every house wife had a jello mold for making their favorite jello concoctions as well as the quick meal favorite goulash. You will never find that in my house or spam either. Disgusting.

Now time to take down all the Halloween decorations and put up Christmas. Nice part about that is I have two trees up already just have to take the Halloween decorations off them.

Schumi did you find your tree?

Monykalyn that dog does look like a lion. Your sons ninja costume is impressive.

Last edited:
Cool rainy day here. Had to have middle at school by 6:50 am for her envirothon competition, then had to wake middle up at 7:30 (he's usually up by 7 on his own). He then asked to be taken to school instead of walking to bus stop as it started to rain. Oh and we got woken by a 230 am prankster ringing doorbell. Did manage to snag a 1900 PF breakfast for my niece (saw TP alert for a BoG dinner but it was already gone).
So much to do today but I've crawled back into bed for now...

Ew no wonder Schumi doesn't like trifle! And just no to the molded jello things with random fruit (or vegetables) in them! But that reminds me I need to make some pumpkin pie bread.

Wingapalooza this weekend! Lots of chicken wings to be had! Last year raised over $70k for children's charities. DH has been living/breathing it again this year for past several weeks (president of club that puts it on and committee chair).

We didn't have near as many people out nor treaters as years past. Think all the "convenient and safe" trunk or treats going on over weekend is killing neighborhood functions (major pet peeve of mineo_O)
My neighbor got a wig for his dog. In the dusk it really did look like a lion running around. He's the sweetest baby ever though. Name is ESOB (expensive son of b-). He has a sister named Maggie that thinks she's a lap dog (120# lap dog). And that's my son as a force wielding ninja rebel or something. We also gave out full size Worlds Finest Chocolate Carmel bars.

Pumpkin Pie bread sounds lovely!!!! and Wingapalooza sounds like somewhere I want to be.......lol.......but hope it beats last years amount for such a good cause :thumbsup2

LOL......That is what is considered a Trifle here in the US. That is a Trifle pedestal bowl. I have one just like it.....I picked a picture that had sponge cake, fruit and layers a whip cream.....the other pics had the gross custard and jello layers. Not a fan of custard or sprinkles in Trifle. It is something I rarely make and if I do I make one with white sponge cake, strawberry’s and whip cream......so it would be a layered strawberry shortcake in essence or strawberry Trifle....which ever you choose to call it.

Schumigirl your description of a Trifle and the box ingredients are not at all appealingly....I get why you don’t like it......I would not like layers of alcohol soaked sponge cake, custard, jello and whip cream and sprinkles either.

I watched an English baking show the other day and the contestants had to make these massive Victorian meat pies in decorative crusts and a side of meat jelly (aspic). One of the judges took a big bit of the meat jelly and said how lovely it was.....had to turn the channel on that one.

In the Sixties every house wife had a jello mold for making their favorite jello concoctions as well as the quick meal favorite goulash. You will never find that in my house or spam either. Disgusting.

Now time to take down all the Halloween decorations and put up Christmas. Nice part about that is I have two trees up already just have to take the Halloween decorations off them.

Schumi did you find your tree?

Monykalyn that dog does look like a lion. Your sons ninja costume is impressive.

That would usually be known as Pork Pie and actually are very nice.......just not the aspic on it`s own..........yep, spam is gross. As is what is called corned beef in this country.......not like US corned beef at all.........

Have found our tree thanks.....but as it`s a 12 foot one they had to order another one in......so it`ll be here next week sometime I believe.......we are fake tree people for our inside trees.......we do have two real ones outside, one half way up the drive and a smaller one sitting in the porch area.......

Ended up not going out today at all.........weather is grey.......just grey.......and DH wasn't feeling that brilliant......so he has slept along one of the settees most of the day.......appearing only to eat and drink tea......he`s feeling better now though.......

I`m off out tonight.........so they`re having the usual Wednesday night dish of southern fried chicken........I prepare it, Tom cooks it........I eat out tonight......no alcohol as I`m driving...........

Almost dark out now...........

The lockdown was brief. I still don't know exactly what prompted it. All they will tell us is that there was police activity in the area.

I need to buy a new Christmas tree this year
Looking for sales on them
I’ve needed a new one for about 3 years but every year I make it go a bit longer so I can spend it on something else.
This year the boy is talking about trading in his old truck and my car on a rogue so probably no tree again. Oh well! Let me know if you find a killer deal

The lockdown was brief. I still don't know exactly what prompted it. All they will tell us is that there was police activity in the area.

How scary! Glad it was over very quickly and all worked out ok........

Thursday again..........can’t believe how quickly the days are passing........this time of year always seem to fly and October always seems to pass before I know it :crazy: ......but with the December trip coming ever closer I expected time to drag........but, so far so good........

Think we’re all sorted though......may need to get DS a few bits, but we’re ok........

DH and I are off out for the day to a shopping Mall couple of hours away from us.........so I’m sure a nice lunch will be on the cards too.........raining at the moment, but should dry up and just be cold........but we’ll be inside so weather won’t matter.........

Have a great Thursday :)

th
th
th

Ahhh, the winds of time. Yesterday, the northern wind was blowing, and it was 38 when I commuted. Today, the southern wind is blowing, and we have 58 degrees. And, as shown above, though not that good, we are socked in with some thick fog. By sun up, it will be clear, and a mostly cloudy day. Rain can arrive in the evening, but that's fine. We'll be watching Thor.

Have a great day homies, and quench your thirst. For me, tTime for tea. It's a Thursday, and it feels like it.

The number 66:

• Is a spheric number - meaning it is made up of the product of 3 prime numbers, in this case, 2 x 3 x 11.
  • Is a triangular number - You can arrange 66 dots into an equilateral triangle (pyramid). 11 dots per side.
  • Is a hexagonal number - you can arrange 66 dots into increasingly large hexagrams that all have one dot in common.
  • Is a semi-meandric number - I looked that up and have no idea what it means.. concept is too heavy for this early in the morning.
  • Is a semi-perfect number - See entry for semi-meandric above.
  • Is a palindromic number - can be read forwards and backwards.
  • is a repdigit number - meaning it's made up of the same digit repeated
  • Is the number of laps in the Spanish Grand Prix.
  • Is the number of a very famous roadway in the United States - Route 66.
  • Is the designation of 36 US state and 2 territorial highways.

Florida's State Road 66 is part of the "Florida Cracker Trail" and goes nowhere near Orlando.. WHICH IS WHERE I WILL BE IN 66 DAYS!!!

hqdefault.jpg

Lost count on Halloween but from counting the remnants of last box of goodies, I'd say just shy of 130 monsters. It was damp & really cold. I was sneezing all day, thought from allergies but by end of evening realized I managed to catch something nasty. When i don't eat something is dreadfully wrong lol.
Happy Halloween everyone

Quiet night here...made chilli and now enjoying a glass of wine after dinner.

Cool pumpkins Lynne.

I never met a dessert that I didn't like, love trifle, carrot cake and banana bread...i'll take Carole's share :flower3:

I'm with you. Unless there is frisky coconut on top of the icing. Textural thing for me but I'll scrape it of just to be polite :)

Kids started ringing the doorbell about 4:30

Turned off the porch lights at 8:30

Only a couple candy bars left

We get car loads from outside the neighborhood
They start at our hoa and then on to another one
Lol

Families in our neighborhood have younger kids and most dressed up in full costumes

So cute!

Just in case I ran out of candy bars, I had money to give out ......always thinking ahead just in case

Oooh, know where i heading next year. The $ houses were da bomb back in the day!

You’re the first person I know loves both........lol......well, Janet of course........but I think I may even try Janet’s as her baking sounds lovely!!

Trifle is generally thought of as a 1970’s outdated dish your grandmother would serve........base is jelly (jello) with soaked sponge, kind of like pound cake or lady fingers put in jelly before it sets......this is what grossed me out about it.... then custard on top once jelly sets and cream on top of custard with coloured sprinkles on the very top......that’s the traditional UK old style.......even worse some made it with sherry.......I like alcohol, but hate hate hate it in desserts.........so it was never something I would eat......

Nice!!!

Lol......you are welcome to my share Vicki.......I always take a good portion!!

That’s a very fancy dish and not what folks here would associate as “trifle” certainly now it can be made fancier and so many different flavours.......Internet is full of fancy pics...........but those bits of cake in the jelly ugh.........not for me.........I’ll try and find a picture of the 1970’s plain trifle I despise so much.........

Your table above looks so good though :thumbsup2

Enough liquor to wet the cake makes everything slide down easier :). No jello in mine, don't think I've ever seen it prepared that way.

Those poke cakes wherein u'd pour jello into the holes always puzzled me

One of my kids likes a dessert wherein you dip oreo cookies in milk, then layer it in a trifle bowl with a cool whip. Let it sit overnight & it transforms. Can't say it's my favorite but i try to hit all the buttons when they ask.

That picture reminds me of the molded geletin desserts that were popular in the 70’s. Ewww.......
I really don’t like Jell-O anyway.

I just did a Google search, I had forgotten that there were also molded Jell-O salads. I think I’m going to be ill now.

Had to be scary when u got the notice re the school, eek.

Jello = being sick in my book. First thing they toss at you. Not big on it in general. My Mom would ask for one of those molds for thanksgiving (raspberry jello, nuts, cranberries) in lieu of sauce. Haven't made since she went into nursing home as nobody else like it lol

My fav jello dessert is strawberry pretzel salad.

Yay! That means it's the first day of November. And it's cool. Went down to 34 last night. Ahhh, the winter is coming. Don't say the s word. Not ready for that anytime soon.

Yeah, I was never a fan of jello with whip cream or any of those layered desserts. Yeah, those molded jello with stuff in it was ewww for sure Charades. Ahhh the 70's. I'm glad to forget some of the fads we had then.

I think we had around 16. That is generally normal for us. I like how the teen stayed on the street, and adult came to the door and shouted back what candy I had, then took it for her and another kid. Yeah, all should come to the door. Not cool in my book. Oh well, I let him take 3. Enjoyed some of the costumes. Little 4 year old neighbor was a chocolate chip cookie. She was so cute. And the little guy other neighbor was a shark. Some creative stuff too. Little one went out with her friends. She was a teen cartoon character, but the name or show I can never get stuck in my head. She dropped her bag, took a hot shower, and was in bed before me. By 6 last night, it was 49 degrees. A chilly Halloween night, but at least the wind was around 5 mph, so not very windy, and clear, so not wet as well.

Time for a very large cup of tea. It's going to be a cool day, 59 by 3pm. Heavier coat worn this morning. And, enjoyed a heated seat.

th
Yes, it is Wednesday, and if Keisha or others are in a sugar coma, it's hump day, the day of the week that we need to get by to see the week-end. And ours should be wet, than lovely. This cold snap will end with warm air bringing rain by Friday.

Enjoy and relax..... only
th
days until Christmas!
th
HeHe, I need more tea.

I need to buy a new Christmas tree this year
Looking for sales on them

Try JCP catalog, picked up a johnathan Adler one this time last year for 3/4 off. It's a beauty. Always did mountain kings but took one back that i purchased. Apparently, they sold the name & quality is way of

View attachment 280972
A 6 foot Chicago Bear came to the door....it was grandson.

Great nephew was a Reaper
View attachment 280973

Later in the evening I heard little nephew call me and I turned around and this was my surprise
View attachment 280974

Great costumes! We saw lots of those heads this year, bet they were hot!

I’ve needed a new one for about 3 years but every year I make it go a bit longer so I can spend it on something else.
This year the boy is talking about trading in his old truck and my car on a rogue so probably no tree again. Oh well! Let me know if you find a killer deal
We got a nice pre-lit artificial one for half price at Home Depot's Black Friday sale. Ordered on line, free shipping, about $90.

Jello = being sick in my book. First thing they toss at you. Not big on it in general.

Yes, exactly! I think of Jell-O as hospital food. My mom has been on and out of the hospital so much (cancer survivor) that I just got sick of seeing Jell-O.

The lockdown yesterday was precautionary. There was an alleged home invasion in a nearby neighborhood.

I just finished eating Chinese food. Here is my fortune cookie.
73ialh.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter