Something EXTRA Special?!?

MarkyLeicester

Earning My Ears
Hey Hey,
Here it is, my first proper post! I've been reading the boards a lot and sent some private messages but as I am a Disney virgin I let Dave do the commenting. Dave (bf) and I are heading to AKL 22nd August 06 for two weeks and while there I will be celebrating my 25th Birthday. I was wondering if anyone can recommend anything extra special to celebrate?
Also the more I read the threads the more confused I become about what to expect reagrding peoples attituudes towards a same sex couple. Does anyone have any memorable past experiences (positive or negative) or can recommend anywhere that stands out as particularly gay friendly.
Thanks all in anicipation
x Mark

You should have a great time! I rarely if ever see or hear anything negative at the Disney parks and resorts about gays or same sex couples. Think about it, you cant swing a man bag around that place without hitting a fairy, a princess, or an evil queen! In other words, the staff is very accepting, and the guests dont seem to even notice. That's my experience.

Now for a great birthday, a few things that come to mind....

Dinner at the California Grill at a window seat. Tell them its your birthday and request a window seat. Make your ADR about an hour before the fireworks, that way the fireworks will be going off as you have coffee and desert.

A fireworks cruise! They have these both at the Magic Kingdom and at EPCOT. You get on a boat, and typically there is champagne, and they take you out to watch the fireworks. Great time!

Dinner at the Chefs Table at Victoria and Alberts! You actually eat in the kitchen, and the chef prepares basically whatever you want.

In the AM go get a haircut on Main Street. Get there early and ask for Michael. Great guy! Nothing like getting a haircut on Main Street USA!

If your into spas, Disney has many, and from what I hear they are good.

And seeing as your are a very young 25, a night at Pleasure Island is sure to top things off!

Enjoy and congratulations on booking your trip!

Mike

I second California Grill. Many people will say Jiko at AKL is as good, but I don't like it! If you are a fireworks fan, you can call and arrange a Fireworks viewing cruise for either Wishes at the Magic Kingdom or IllimiNations at Epcot. It is a PRIVATE boat, too. Breathless is one of the most romantic.

I spent 11 nights at AKL in August 2003. Spent a lot of afternoon time in the pool and having African Sunburn, drink of the day even when it wasn't! I love the pool bar there.

OMG, I am so jealous!

Wow, sooo man helpful people, thanks guys. Lazy afternoons by the pool with a cocktail in hand sound great but i think Dave has other ideas, i'll work on it ;)

Hey... you will be there for the mini-August meet.. make sure you meander over to that thread and check on in... If you haven't already! :) Welcome!!

Kathy

OrlandoMike

You should have a great time! I rarely if ever see or hear anything negative at the Disney parks and resorts about gays or same sex couples. Think about it, you cant swing a man bag around that place without hitting a fairy, a princess, or an evil queen! In other words, the staff is very accepting, and the guests dont seem to even notice. That's my experience.

OMG Mike! That is so funny!! I like this board....everyone has a great sense of humor!

BTW :wave: Mark!

Hey... you will be there for the mini-August meet.. make sure you meander over to that thread and check on in... If you haven't already! :) Welcome!!

Kathy

OrlandoMike said:
Think about it, you cant swing a man bag around that place without hitting a fairy, a princess, or an evil queen! Mike
Mike -- I keep telling you...it's a MURSE!!! Please use the correct terminology. :teeth:

Man Bag is just so....I don't know.....crude? I'm sorry but I certainly won't be going about my man bag in public.

And Dave is very proud of his 'Manbag', although he tends to wear it more when i'm not around as i'm not a huge fan. It's not the bag itself, it's how it accentuates the mincing of the hips! Most of the time you wouldn't notice but when he's got his manbag hanging gayley by his hips swinging in and out in its camp little way, i dunno... it just doesn't do it for me! :teeth: Love you really baby, bag or not xxx

Be Warned!

If you take your manbag/murse to the park you will have to wait in line for the mean old security guard to poke through it.

If you cram everything into Cargo Pants you can waltz right throught the line with no wait!

This also eliminates your manbag/murse getting wet on the water rides!

YAY - a genuine reason not to take the manbag! Can anybody think why a manbag may not be suitable fo use as hand luggage on a 9 hour flight? PLEASE x

Well I must admit, I have been known to take a back pack on a plane. I take sub's and snacks for the flight. Even us trim guys cant make a 9 hour flight on peanuts and crackers, but once at the destination, the "murse" stays in the room!

California Grill / window seat / Wishes fireworks - Magic
IllimiNations at Epcot /PRIVATE boat. - Great.
If you're up for some silly fun - Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue
Blissed out kids - silly (bit loud) fun - Chef Mickey's Breakfast
La Nouba-Cirque du Soleil - don't miss it.

The California Griss is awesome - especially if you get a winow seat for the fireworks... I'm going to also say to try Jiko at the AKL. We've been there a bunch of times and it was always great. Hey - you'll have the time! I used to carry my man bag all the time - now I usually wear the Cargo shorts and everything I need is in there unless I have the camcorder...

Chris and I go almost every year and have never had any uncomfy moments ( accept years ago at Citrico's - a nasty waitress... But that was once and it never happened again...

We've also done fireworks cruises - love the Wishes one best.

Have a great time!

Hey guys! stop second guessing me!! it was gonna be a surprise! now i can't do any of the things you're telling him!!

i'm running out of surprises - i'll be left with ... here's your birthday mickey waffle!

Dx

Hey, if you wanted it to be a surprise, you could have told him not to read the DIS!

There are just so many things you can arrange and not tell him about.

Hey, on the topic of man pruses, murses, manbags or whatever they are called...... My DH has one, he will only use it in Europe because they are so not hetero in the US. Cargo shorts are a great idea! I will have to see if he would go for them to carry his camera.

mickeyfan1 said:
Hey, on the topic of man pruses, murses, manbags or whatever they are called...... My DH has one, he will only use it in Europe because they are so not hetero in the US. Cargo shorts are a great idea! I will have to see if he would go for them to carry his camera.
I've carried camera in cargo short pockets and never had any problem. With the pockets on the side of the shorts, down closer to the knees, you don't have to worry about lap restraints, etc. hitting the camera. I will admit to carrying a shoulder bag back and forth from work everyday as I have newspaper, books, umbrella, etc. but when I hit the theme parks, everything goes into pockets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter