Something to motivate me...

taniahappy

DIS Veteran
Hi guys! I am a huge Disney fan (duh!) ... and I am looking into getting in shape and getting active ... so I think doing a runDisney event/training for it is what I need... I am wondering a lot of things but will ask little by little...

First, I am interested in participating in the Disneyland Half Marathon next year (still have +300 days to get ready), can this be done or am I kidding myself?

I need motivation and this is getting me excited, any general words of advice?

Thank you :)

I started my run journey around this time last year, with my sole goal being to run and finish the Disneyland Half marathon this year. It turned out being my fourth half marathon of the year - and I've got many more races scheduled after that!

You can do it - and a RunDisney-cation is a great motivation tool and a wonderful reward for all of your hard work!

In 2011 I signed up for the Disneyworld half Marathon with the intention of it being motivation to loose some weight and get back into shape. 300 days is absolutely plenty of time to get into shape for the race. I would advise researching couch to 5k. (there are a lot of plans available either as apps, online or as part of training plans inside fitness tracking apps like runkeeper or nike+) Most half marathon plans expect you to start with the ability to do a 5k. Depending on your shape you might want to go through couch to 5k twice.

The Disneyland half is a great race. I really enjoyed it when I did it this year. I think it would be a great first half marathon because logistically it is a much easier race than the Disneyworld half marathons.

As other have said 300 days is plenty of time to get ready for a half, so no worries there. I also agree with IamTrike with starting with a couch to 5k program. When I got back to running a few years ago I started with one mission, which was to lose weight. I started with C25K. It was only later that I got all caught up in running long distance. Find yourself one of the plans to get started. Next, go to a running store and get them to help you get into the proper pair of shoes. Your shoes are the most important investment to help you achieve your goals injury free. Another helpful suggestion, that does not need to be addressed immediately, would be to avoid running in cotton clothes. Good luck with getting started and I hope all goes well.

I was a 10 to 12 mile/week sort-of jogger, and 40 lbs overweight, in January 2014. I had never run longer than 10k. For motivation to get healthier, I signed up for the Jan. 2015 Disney Marathon and started training. I ran a 10 mile race in June, then a half in August, another in September, and finally finished the Dis Marathon Jan 2015 in less than 4 hours. Not tooting my horn here - plenty of others here have more remarkable stories - just showing you it can be done.

The half is your ultimate goal, but set it and forget it. Think about the shorter term goals - first set yourself a 5k goal a few months from now, then a 10k later in the year. Each goal you reach will make you feel good and re-motivate you.

You can do it!

Yes, you have plenty of time to prepare. I was barely able to suffer through a mile in January 2005 when I decided to do my first 5K. I played sports and hit the gym regularly but didn't like to run for the sake or running. Boy did that change. That first 5K was in February 2005 and my first half marathon was the WDW half in January 2006.

Come up with a plan and treat it like you would a mandatory meeting at work. That plan should include intermediate goals like your first 5K, a time goal for your second 5K based on that first, and some benchmark distances.

The first thing I would do is go to a real running store and speak with someone that knows about running shoes. The best way to short circuit your new hobby is an injury or discomfort from the wrong shoes. They will take multiple measurements of your foot, watch your gait, and make recommendations you can try out there in the store or in the parking lot. They also might have a newbie group you can join.

I'll echo all the above about having plenty of time to get ready and looking at getting a start with the Couch-to-5k (C25K).

As JClimacus suggested, keep the DL 1/2 as a longer term goal, but set yourself an earlier goal that you can attain sooner to boost your motivation. Registration for the Disneyland Half isn't until late January for AP/DVC and February 2 for everyone else. That's over 12 weeks away, and the C25K program is 9 weeks in length, running 3x per week. Maybe go ahead and start your training for a 5k and, while you won't be finished with the program, maybe look at a local Turkey Trot around Thanksgiving to get a feel for the energy that comes with running in a group of people. :thumbsup2

Thanks guys! I am so pumped up! ... I will check out Couch to 5K and get started ASAP... I really appreciate it, I will get on those shoes immediately.

I agree with everything said above. I started just walking almost 3 years. Then started adding in 5 to 10 second jogs per mile and progressed from there.

Yes you can do this. You have come to a great area to ask for info. There is a lot of very good knowledge in here!!!

I will throw this out there for a little motivational humor :rotfl2:

And remember this is your journey. Experiment with what will work for you.

LOL :p Love them! Thanks for the laugh... I can´t wait to get off work and start getting organized... what can you guys tell me about food-wise? Should I follow a diet? Several small meals a day? What works for you?

LOL :p Love them! Thanks for the laugh... I can´t wait to get off work and start getting organized... what can you guys tell me about food-wise? Should I follow a diet? Several small meals a day? What works for you?

I run so I can eat macaroni and cheese and drink all the beers. :D

Seriously, though, if the most important thing is weight loss, I would work on your diet first and then start working into running - changing too many things at once and too quickly can make you frustrated and more likely to quit. I've kick-started a diet by doing a three-day detox - I would NEVER recommend that, but it did work. I've also reset my diet by giving up one bad item a week for a month (white bread one week, mayo the next, processed cheese in week three, etc.) and that seemed to work better. I've also done WW, but I got bored with counting points and other BS after a couple of months each time.

You'll also want to add in some significant strength training on non-heavy cardio days (I say non-heavy because if you're going for weight loss, you need to mix in SOME form of cardio every day - walking, cycling, swimming, etc. to keep your heart rate up and to help burn calories).

Diet-wise: We generally eat pretty clean Monday-Thursday (lean protein, lots of vegetables, very little carbs or 'bad' fats) and then go wheels off Friday-Sunday, so it all pretty much cancels it out. My husband is pretty heavy in to CrossFit and I run. We ride our bikes pretty much every where we can (also, almost always to bars ... :drinking1), so that's also something that's a little bit different about our lifestyle than most.

If you are looking at success in distance running as your end goal - then definitely go Couch to 5K route and then increase your mileage. You may not lose as much weight per se, but you will notice changes in your body and definition. I've lost *maybe* 12 pounds total since I started running in December ... BUT, I'm down a significant number of inches and clothing sizes.

You CAN have both - elevated weight loss and increased running endurance, but you can't truly have both at the same time at the beginning without REALLY having to sacrifice something ... but that's just my opinion!

First - don't overestimate how many calories that you burn when running. Use an app or site like myfitnesspal to track your calories burned and eaten in a given day.

Second - Get used to the idea of eating more protein. Your body will need more since you will be tearing down and building up muscle tissue.

Third - Find an eating pattern that will work with your lifestyle while allowing you to avoid overeating.

I eat about 6 times/day, with no large meals. This is what works for me, but I have friends that can't do this. Experiment until you find something that works for you. There is no single "best" solution that applies to everyone.

Most of all - have fun.

Good luck!

Thanks guys! I am so pumped up! ... I will check out Couch to 5K and get started ASAP... I really appreciate it, I will get on those shoes immediately.

Good for you! As others have said, that goal is 100% attainable.

To that end - make that your goal. I went from couch to Marathon in 2012. That was because my goal was always the marathon. Yes, I ran an organized 10K and a Half during that time but the goal was that marathon.

So think about skipping the Couch to 5K and, instead, research and work up a plan that has you running you half marathon and stick to that plan.

Everybody is different but I don't think I could've gotten to my goal using the Couch to 5K and then a plan to work up to 10K and then a plan to work to a half and lastly a plan to work to a full. I had to have the full as my original destination or else I wasn't going to make it. Again, that's just me.

Regardless, getting started is half the battle so however that works for you - go get it! Good luck!

I think the most difficult thing for me are, yes, the drinks :rolleyes1 and just getting the meals organized ... I much rather prefer to be able to drink 3 or 4 beers on the weekend than to eat chocolate/cake/ice cream/whatever ...

:thanks:

What is your goal? To lose weight, to fuel your running, to have a more balanced diet? There isn't any one size fits all dietary plan out there.

Endurance sports affect people differently. Some people will start to see a big difference weight wise just from running while others notice nothing. You really won't know until you start. I would echo BuckeyeBama above and recommend MyFitnessPal. You can't make any good decisions until you know what you are consuming and an app like that helps in two ways. First, it gives you concrete reports. Second, and more importantly if you ask me, it makes you look at what you are eating because products have a way of hiding unhealthy things behind great marketing.

Once you have a good base things like intervals, weights, and cross training can be added to address things that steady endurance running just doesn't.

believe you can.png

My wife told me just about exactly 2 years ago that she wanted a divorce. She told me she didn't love me because I was a fat, lazy, slob. I was lost. So, I decided to start focusing on myself, as I had been trying to save our marriage and trying to make her happy. I also wanted to get out of my comfort zone.

So, I turned to what I knew and loved. DISNEY. I hated running but I knew if I signed up for a Disney race and that would be my reason to go that I would train. In early 2014 I decided I would do the Tower of Terror 10 Miler. I picked it because it was the shortest of the headlining race weekends. I didn't think I could do longer. I began running in March. I did my proof of time race in June. During that race I decided to do a marathon.

Long story short, I did my ToT race last October and 2 weeks later I did my first marathon, just 7 months after I took my first step. I didn't set any land speed records. The marathon was brutally hard. But, I finished. I have continued this year with more races and will be doing the WDW Marathon (along with just about everyone that responded to your post :-)) in January.

If you want it bad enough, and believe you can do it, then you can do it. It takes a lot of work. You will be sore. You will wonder why you decided to do this many times. But then you will cross the finish line and it will probably change your life, because as you can see from some of these stories it seems to have changed us all.

I would definitely focus on your diet. I would also read these boards and absorb as much info as you can. A lot of people know a lot about running and running Disney races as well. They are a different animal for sure. I had nobody to help me last year. I was the only one I knew that ran. These boards saved me from making even more mistakes than I did.

And be prepared to get addicted!!!!

P.S.- I am no longer a fat, lazy, slob. :yay:

Hi guys! I am a huge Disney fan (duh!) ... and I am looking into getting in shape and getting active ... so I think doing a runDisney event/training for it is what I need... I am wondering a lot of things but will ask little by little...

First, I am interested in participating in the Disneyland Half Marathon next year (still have +300 days to get ready), can this be done or am I kidding myself?

I need motivation and this is getting me excited, any general words of advice?

Thank you :)

Watch this video.
Seriously, watch it. It's 5 minutes long and it's really good.

View attachment 129008
P.S.- I am no longer a fat, lazy, slob. :yay:

I think I could use a shirt with that written on the back.

My first big run was last year, the Disney Princess Half Marathon! It was a blast! Definitely inspired me to keep running! I have my third half marathon this Saturday and I have signed up for the Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon! Disney makes the experience so much fun! Plus you will be in a really happy fun environment with similar people. What I've noticed in my other halfs is that there are some hard core runner people out there! At Disney it's all about the magic! You can definitely do it! I know a lot of people, including myself who had many obstacles and we're unable to train properly and were still fine. Not to inspire anyone not to train, but I feel like the worst battle is psyching yourself out. Just relax and train as best you can and that will be enough. Good luck!!!!
:yay:

Also for advice, look up some good runner apps! I love Map My Run but there are so many trackers, trainers and motivators. Even games! There is an interactive running game app called Zombie Run. Your on the run for supplies for the last survivors, pretty darn cool beans! Also I made an inspiring cork board with pictures, calendars etc! Very motivational!

Also x2 if your looking for a way to treat yourself/motivate, there are running subscription boxes! I am subscribed to Runnerbox and Stridebox! Once a month or every other month they send me a box of runner goodies!

Like everyone else said you have to find a diet plan that works for you. For me I find eating healthy all week and letting myself splurge if we're out works. My mother always found that she had to be super strict and not have anything because once she started eating unhealthy she couldn't stop. I also find that with the exception of longer runs (more at the 10k+ rate) I don't use any of the calories I burned because even with my fitness tracker I don't do well if I eat the calories I exercised off.

I would third myfitnesspal as well. I use it daily and while I don't find it's estimates for "if you ate everyday like today you'd weigh XXX.XXlbs in 5 weeks" are accurate the rest is and it saves me time manually entering or looking up certain calorie counts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter