Something to motivate me...

I run so I can eat macaroni and cheese and drink all the beers. :D

^^^ THIS!!!

I run so I can eat pizza and and drink beer. Sure, I cut back some when training for something really important, but in general, I run so I can eat what I want and enjoy other pleasures in life. For most of my long runs leading up to Dopey, dinner the night before was splitting a pizza and a bottle of champagne with my wife. My coach and my wife both keep telling me that I'd be much faster if I ate better, but aside from preparing for one or two key races a year, I haven't had the desire to do that full time. :)

Hi guys! I am a huge Disney fan (duh!) ... and I am looking into getting in shape and getting active ... so I think doing a runDisney event/training for it is what I need... I am wondering a lot of things but will ask little by little...

First, I am interested in participating in the Disneyland Half Marathon next year (still have +300 days to get ready), can this be done or am I kidding myself?

I need motivation and this is getting me excited, any general words of advice?

Thank you :)

Looks like you have gotten lots of great advice, nothing I can add there. But would like to say congrats on deciding to give this a try. And RunDisney puts on a great race. Wishing you lots of good runs as you take on this new adventure!

Watch this video.
Seriously, watch it. It's 5 minutes long and it's really good.

I think I could use a shirt with that written on the back.

Maybe I should make up some shirts and sell them. Then I could make extra money to be able to afford these Disney races. :rolleyes1:rolleyes1 And that video was awesome but unless I missed it, it didn't say if he made it to Boston. But man was he hauling butt on the stationary bike.

What stories! .... Wish to be one of them some time soon. :love:

Don't wish, decide you want it and make it happen. There is a big difference. You can do it!!!

Just like @Waiting2goback I wanted to improve myself because I was a fat, ugly loser (but no slob). I started around last Thanksgiving because I wanted to get in shape so I could stop being a loser and ask a girl out - but I needed to catch her first because she is a runner. So one from November 19th to about February 1st I ran and ran, and biked. I ran almost every day except Sunday, and I started at around only 4-5 miles per day. I've been running for about 4 years before but no more than 4-5 miles per day but somehow I could not lose weight. I had real impetus now and so the main thing that I started doing was tracking EVERY PIECE of food. I didn't weight things per se but I did spend time trying to estimate the portions correctly and I recorded it all. I also gave up ALL soda...down from 3-5 can a day to NOTHING. At first I went down to 1-2 gatorades a day and after about 2 months I went to water and now some Fresca (no calorie soda). I lowered my calorie intake to about 1500-1700 calories or less per day and my exercise usually burned off about 500+. After a while I ran more and more and so my burning of calories increased.

For the first 3 weeks I defied the laws of physics because I could not lose a single pound even though I had negative calories every one of those days. It made no sense and it pissed me off to the point that I wanted to give up...but I had a goal that was important to me than food so I persisted. After week 3 I instantly dropped like 12 pounds or more (don't recall exactly) but it was a lot. I kept going and in the first 3 months I dropped nearly 40 lbs!!! It was at about that point that I found out about Disney races and signed up for the DOPEY!!!! Holy cow, that's crazy! Yeah I know. I then signed up for the Disneyland Dumbo because I wanted a target to get to before I do the Dopey in January. Since then I've also signed up for the Star Wars Rebel and Dark Side challenges - so be warned that, YES YOU WILL GET ADDICTED!

Btw, I never caught the girl - she is fast and someone else was faster than me. I'm still an ugly loser but I'm no longer fat. I have gained probably 10lbs back from that 40 - mostly because I stopped tracking food and gave in to eating badly again but my running has picked up to around 40-50 miles/week now so I know I can drop it. As a matter of fact I am restarting my tracking for this last 2 month stretch run before the Dopey in January - if I lose the weight it will improve my time. I'm just happy I now fit into Large t-shirts rather than needing XL. I feel healthier, and even though I'm not better looking, at least I feel better about myself. Now I just want to keep running because it gives me a high and it's a challenge - I always give it my all for a challenge (though I don't always win).

So, what's my limited advice for you? I'd say definitely track what you eat and even overestimate. If you want to lose weight then you will have to run a lot - there may be days that you don't want to but you should still try. Even if it is the worst day ever just try running or jogging or walking for 10 minutes. You can always do 10 minutes. If you get to 10 minutes and still want to completely give up then do it, but if you can try to make it longer - another 10 minutes. Don't talk yourself out of it...if you can just get started it will be easier to finish. Also, I do most of my running on a treadmill - I don't get to use weather as an excuse or being too dark as an excuse, etc. And if you feel like giving up, just come here and post or go watch a video from someone that has ran a Disney race - you'll be energized again.

GOOD LUCK, we are rooting for you!

Maybe I should make up some shirts and sell them. Then I could make extra money to be able to afford these Disney races. :rolleyes1:rolleyes1 And that video was awesome but unless I missed it, it didn't say if he made it to Boston. But man was he hauling butt on the stationary bike.

Yes he did finish boston. He's actually continued to run and does ultra marathons. His niece is still alive too. Here's his website with all his videos. https://rfme.wordpress.com/ I dont have any affiliation with this guy. I just saw his transformation on youtube and it inspired me.

It's going to sound silly, but one of my favorite TV shows is "Extreme Weight Loss" -- NOT "The Biggest Loser". I like the EWL because Chris and Heidi (the trainers) realize that losing weight, getting fit and being healthy is a LIFE-long change, not just something you can do in 12 weeks to win a contest.

I've incorporated a lot of the things they do - including just the mental and emotional aspects - into my training. Because I'm an on-going project ... I'll never be truly complete as long as I live, hopefully!

Doing a major food-cleanse at my house... going grocery shopping as second huge step this weekend and planning meals to thre last detail, I have incorporated exercise (that was my first step) this week into my life (haven't run yet, will start that on Tuesday), 30 minutes stationary bike plus some work on the Aeropilates machine...

And yes, I AM going to be one of these inspiring stories as well!... I have alll these emotions that I haven't experienced before in all my life all at once; scared, excited, nervous, anxious, happy...

I am a big believer that nothing is more likely to improve your health than engaging in a regular program of exercise.

And exercise will help you -- a little -- to lose weight. But lengthy workout sessions will also increase your need for calories. And there are lots of companies like Coca-Cola that want you to buy their products for fuel and recovery, which makes it difficult to navigate both a distance running program and a weight loss program.

To the OP, if your primary goal is to run a half marathon to improve your health, then I would suggest focusing on that -- and leave weight loss for another time (if ever).* You can absolutely finish a half next year if that is your focus.

However, if your primary focus is losing weight, then I would suggest you set your sights on a shorter distance, such as a 10K. With a 10K, you never have those 2 to 3 hour training sessions that leave you starving and make it harder to make good food choices.

While there are always weight loss success stories, we know that they are the exception not the norm. Most people are more likely to be successful in the long term if they work on embracing one healthier habit at a time. Then when your life gets in the way of achieving your goal -- and it will -- it's much easier to refocus each day on that habit and not give up on all your efforts in defeat.

* There is a saying that just like playing basketball is not likely to make you any taller, running is not likely to give you a body like Olympic distance runners. And that's okay because there are some amazing runners out there -- some of which you will see at RunDisney events -- who don't have a body that our media thinks is perfect.

Best of luck to you in your journey. -- Suzanne

Last edited:
Some little tidbits from me...I've exceeded my "do a 5k" goal and am in the beginning of my 8k/10k training with half on the horizon in the future. The people here are awesome for advise and support. C25K is the best...I would never have made it this far without it. There's also some good Galloway plans out there for run/walk systems.

The following may be kind of silly, but it works for me because I grew up in a family where food was a reward for everything. I don't allow myself "huge congratulation meals" unless I have finished a real race that I signed up for. I try (but I'm not perfect yet at it) for no big pizza binges or big brunches/meals unless there's a medal or bib on me. So I have been able to have the post-race french toast brunch or the trip to the cheesecake factory for an Oreo cheesecake or a big ol' beer. BUT I don't do those the weekends when I run the same distance just as my regular training/excercise. I just try to eat normally those days. It keeps me from totally stuffing myself all the time after running but still let's me celebrate a little after the big success of actually doing the nerve-wracking-scary-but-fun thing of signing up for and completing a race. And the funny thing is after a big race...my body usually doesn't want TOO TOO much bad stuff in it and my plate often goes half full back to the waitress. Win-Win.

I also suggest lots of water. And drink it a lot everyday, not just your "I have to run today" days. Don't do just gatorade/powerade all the time. Hydrating didn't seem so important to me until I realized how much easier it was to run when I wasn't feeling dehydrated. I'm not a big fan or water (blech) but I am a fan of how it makes me feel when running (and the rest of the time too.)

I have not lost a ton of weight...about 11 lbs so far over 7+ months. But it wasn't my focus. I do start thinking twice about bad things or extra drinks or extra coffee/soda because I know I have a run scheduled. And that has been really good for me.

Also, go to Target or Walmart, etc. and buy yourself a cute pair of running pants, shirt, sports-bra and socks in tech fabrics (you can find cheap options) that fits you right now. Just whatever makes you feel good. Even if you have to wash it or them often. I find if I feel good about how you look while running you will be less likely to want to curl up at home and avoid it. Then you can get more as you become both smaller and addicted. I hope that doesn't sound stereo-typically female of me. Feeling embarrassed about how I looked in the baggy t-shirts and sweat capris I owned for pajamas kept me from starting C25k for longer than I'd like to admit.

Also, go to Target or Walmart, etc. and buy yourself a cute pair of running pants, shirt, sports-bra and socks in tech fabrics (you can find cheap options) that fits you right now. Just whatever makes you feel good. Even if you have to wash it or them often. I find if I feel good about how you look while running you will be less likely to want to curl up at home and avoid it. Then you can get more as you become both smaller and addicted. I hope that doesn't sound stereo-typically female of me. Feeling embarrassed about how I looked in the baggy t-shirts and sweat capris I owned for pajamas kept me from starting C25k for longer than I'd like to admit.

10000% this! I always believe that if you look good, you feel good - and that extends into running and working out.

For "budget-level" clothing, you can't beat the Danskin collection from Wal-Mart or the C2 line at Target. I enjoy running in tennis skirts (especially because it's so hot here in Texas), plus I can wear the same outfit while I'm running errands before/after I go to the gym. You can go high dollar and get some from Sparkle Skirts or lululemon, but I started just buying the store brand (BCG) from Academy to make sure I like them. They're like $12/skirt. Some have pockets, some don't.

I like the bamboo items from Raw Threads, but I find I enjoy them more for casual wear and short runs than for long runs. I bought a bunch of racerback tanks back at the start of the summer and they have not held their shape very well, so I probably won't be buying anymore of those.

On top of that, I love "costumes" - and that's one of the big motivators for me for a runDisney race ... all the fun costumes!

I love these boards! The stories and advice really can't be beat!
@taniahappy So glad you decided to start this thread! And thanks all of you for sharing your stories and advice!

Oh yeah!... I am shopping for clothes this weekend too :lovestruc ... I wont go crazy, just a set or two to get started... Thanks agains for all the advice (keep em coming :yay: )...

I think my focus is being able to do the race and, with that, will come the weight loss (it just has to because no alcohol, eating healthy and exercise will lead to that)...

Will report back and let you know how much I can run/jog/walk without dying... doing my "test run" tomorrow :tiptoe:

Also, go to Target or Walmart, etc. and buy yourself a cute pair of running pants, shirt, sports-bra and socks in tech fabrics (you can find cheap options) that fits you right now.

I always get funny looks when I run in a sports-bra. :)

That being said I struggle with the fact that sometimes when I can't do one of my hobbies I shop for equipment for my hobbies. Shopping for running shoes or shirts makes me feel almost as productive as having gone for a run.

That being said I struggle with the fact that sometimes when I can't do one of my hobbies I shop for equipment for my hobbies. Shopping for running shoes or shirts makes me feel almost as productive as having gone for a run.
To add, it also motivates me to run. When I hit a "slump", I go buy something that will get my behind out the door.

And yes, I AM going to be one of these inspiring stories as well!... I have alll these emotions that I haven't experienced before in all my life all at once; scared, excited, nervous, anxious, happy...

994659_220656388106741_1799851959_n.jpg

Yes you are! Just don't get frustrated and give up. It will get hard at points. You will want to quit out of frustration. DO NOT DO THIS. Keep taking steps and follow the saying above.

I'm not a big fan or water (blech) but I am a fan of how it makes me feel when running (and the rest of the time too.)

Feeling embarrassed about how I looked in the baggy t-shirts and sweat capris I owned for pajamas kept me from starting C25k for longer than I'd like to admit.

All I drink it water. The body is made up of 75% water so it only seems to make sense that being hydrated makes you feel better and perform better.

As for looking good. Whatever it takes to get you out the door. I love buying stuff for running. My most expensive clothing items I own are my sneakers. I was just looking before I got on here for some warm clothes to run in as it is starting to get cold her in MA. I was like a kid in a candy store. Now, I don't know if I will look good in them or not but it is still fun. And as it was said before, when I am in a slump I often buying something to get me motivated again.

I think my focus is being able to do the race and, with that, will come the weight loss (it just has to because no alcohol, eating healthy and exercise will lead to that)...

Will report back and let you know how much I can run/jog/walk without dying... doing my "test run" tomorrow :tiptoe:

The weight loss will follow because once you start this you will soon be eating better because you will find as the runs get longer that your body will want better foods. Fast food or processed food is no good for this hobby us crazy people do! Just make your running a habit and then everything else will fall into place.

Just like @Waiting2goback I wanted to improve myself because I was a fat, ugly loser (but no slob).

Z-Knight- there is a big difference between what you are saying and what I said. My WIFE told me I was those things. I never thought I was a loser. Yes, I was overweight. I have never thought I was good looking. But I was a stay-at-home father of 4 little kids for 6 years and I didn't take care of myself because I was taking care of them, that's how I got fat. My wife is the one that said all those things about me and my problem is, I believed it all. 20 years of that verbal abuse is what made me think all those bad things.

Then I read this book about self-esteem. I learned how to change the way I think and now I KNOW I am not a loser. I recommend this book to everyone. You should read it too. I can see just from your post that you spend A LOT of time tearing yourself down. Read the first 2 chapters and do the "accurate self assessment" exercise and you will change how you see yourself. If you need help with it, because it can be hard, you PM me and I will help you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0A1R69440P449ADGKAAB

And this is why I am know I'm not a loser. I am always looking to help people, I am an excellent father, I am good at my job (even if it isn't where I want my career to be) and now I am healthy and working toward a goal of qualifying for the Boston Marathon. Losers don't achieve these types of goals. We are ALL winners in here my friend. Losers don't finish these races. The amount of effort it takes to train for these types of events and then compete in them means you are not a loser. I have social anxiety disorder. Just showing up to a race with 10,000+ people is a victory for me. EVERYONE has a story, including you. Instead of beating yourself up because you're "ugly" figure out what it is about you that brings you here to help this person you don't know. Losers don't do that stuff.

I'm not the best looking person but at the age of 42 I realized that means nothing. No, I won't be signed up for any modeling contracts. I won't be on TV anytime soon. But my kids love me, my friends respect me for who I am, and I am as honest a person there is. All those things mean much more to me than how good looking I am. Once you learn those lessons you will be much happier as well.

I don't mean to preach but it always bothers me when someone thinks so poorly of themselves. You can PM me anytime if you ever want to talk. That offer is good to anyone for that matter.

OK, off my soapbox now. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter