• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Songs best appreciated under circumstances

Sweet Caroline gives me goosebumps when sung by the crowd at Fenway Park. Outside of that I find it a little forced and cheesy.
Funny story. It was a Thursday night organic chem lab and one of two instruments wasn't working, so we had 16 groups (32 students) waiting to do 5 minute runs on one instrument, in one room. Students were chatting in small groups, someone had music on, some kids were on their phones or studying, etc. It was going to be a long night, for sure. About 7:30 Sweet Caroline came on and, as a Neil Diamond fan, I was listening and thinking these late teens/early twenty-somethings probably had never heard of Neil Diamond. And then, they all broke out in "BUM-BUM-BUM" at absolutely the right time! Cracked me up! Of course, this was at UMaine in a room full of Red Sox fans, so I should have expected it, right?

If you're in Philly at a hockey game and they play the theme from Rocky, the opening trumpet fanfare is guaranteed to get everyone in the building on their feet even if the Flyers are losing. Bonus points if they play it after a on-ice fight.

Reading a lot of these occasion songs with a smile on my face.
Never knew ”YMCA” was about homelessness. This could be because I’d a different interpretation of the song that made me laugh at its acceptance by much of America.

Setup........Chicago Bulls game, at home (United Center). Mid 90's Among the team members, MJ. Down to about 8 seconds of game time remaining. Bulls down by 2 points. Phil Jackson calls for a time out to set up the final play of the game. Team huddles for 20-30. Players start to return to the floor, Alan Parsons Project Sirius plays loud over the PA. Just get the ball to Jordan. Ball brought in to Pippen. Pippen to Jordan, Michael drains a 3 from almost half court, Bulls win, another.

For country fans (or late night pub fans), is there any bar song more classic than David Allen Coe's "You never even called me by my name?" Sang that one a few too many times after a few too many beers in my misspent youth - typically during Last Call in the omg early morning hours. :rotfl:
I only know the Steve Goodman version of this song (written by him & John Prine), not the rip-off version. Not a country fan at all, but this song is making fun of the content of country songs -
You Never Even Call Me By My Name
(AKA The Perfect Country & Western Song)
©Steve Goodman and [although he won't admit it] John Prine)

Funny story. It was a Thursday night organic chem lab and one of two instruments wasn't working, so we had 16 groups (32 students) waiting to do 5 minute runs on one instrument, in one room. Students were chatting in small groups, someone had music on, some kids were on their phones or studying, etc. It was going to be a long night, for sure. About 7:30 Sweet Caroline came on and, as a Neil Diamond fan, I was listening and thinking these late teens/early twenty-somethings probably had never heard of Neil Diamond. And then, they all broke out in "BUM-BUM-BUM" at absolutely the right time! Cracked me up! Of course, this was at UMaine in a room full of Red Sox fans, so I should have expected it, right?
That’s wicked awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter