Southwest - Do I need to pay for early check in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never paid for it, never had a problem with at least two of us sitting together at any time. Total waste of money to me. Even if it's a full flight there are virtually always people who would switch with you if the situation came up so that your kids wouldn't sit alone.

I agree that its a waste of money if you truly don't care where you sit or if you sit with your traveling companions.

I draw the line at asking others to make accommodations for me or my family - especially if I had the opportunity to avoid the issue in the first place.

Even though we can board early with small kids, I do it solely for not having to worry about checking in. Especially on the way back.

what time is your flight? I ended up on a full flight with a B1 and no family boarding as last number was B20. should have heard the complaining as plane was over half full when boarding started. a lot of parents not being able to sit with kids as most were families

The flight was at 6:30 tonight and it did end up being a sold out flight. Obviously, many did not buy EBCI.

I agree that its a waste of money if you truly don't care where you sit or if you sit with your traveling companions.

I draw the line at asking others to make accommodations for me or my family - especially if I had the opportunity to avoid the issue in the first place.

If I had a 6 younger child that I needed to sit with I would ask. If it's traveling with teens, no, I would not ask. I guess I think about what I would do. If someone asked me to switch so they could sit with their child I would be happy to.

If I had a 6 younger child that I needed to sit with I would ask. If it's traveling with teens, no, I would not ask. I guess I think about what I would do. If someone asked me to switch so they could sit with their child I would be happy to.
Let me put it this way.....I pay the addtl $15 in order to get on the plane before others so that I can get a seat that I want...for whatever reason. So, I get on, choose my seat, and sit down. A group gets on in the mid-C group. They all want to sit together. So, they ask for someone to change their seats. I'm in a seat that would allow them to sit together. But, I need that particular seat (for my own personal reasons), so I don't offer it up. Is it fair to decide I'm a miserable person because I won't give you my seat? I did what I needed to do, I paid extra in order to get what I needed. Is it fair for someone else to come along, later in the process and start demanding that I change seats because they didn't do their job (or just refused to pay the addtl fee) and they now can't find the seats together that they need/want?
I'm sorry, but your needs just don't outweigh my needs. I chose to pay extra, you didn't. I have carry on bags with me. I paid addtl so that I was sure I would have space for them, at the seat that I wanted. So, someone comes along and wants me to change seats? So, I now have to either take all my stuff with me, to the back of the plane, where there is probably no overhead space, or have to leave it in the overhead bin away from where I'm sitting? Nope. I have now paid an addtl fee so that you can sit with your family, while I have to move.

Again...if you need to sit with someone, do what needs to be done, and pay for EBCI. You have a much better shot at finding the seating that you need.

Let me put it this way.....I pay the addtl $15 in order to get on the plane before others so that I can get a seat that I want...for whatever reason. So, I get on, choose my seat, and sit down. A group gets on in the mid-C group. They all want to sit together. So, they ask for someone to change their seats. I'm in a seat that would allow them to sit together. But, I need that particular seat (for my own personal reasons), so I don't offer it up. Is it fair to decide I'm a miserable person because I won't give you my seat? I did what I needed to do, I paid extra in order to get what I needed. Is it fair for someone else to come along, later in the process and start demanding that I change seats because they didn't do their job (or just refused to pay the addtl fee) and they now can't find the seats together that they need/want?
I'm sorry, but your needs just don't outweigh my needs. I chose to pay extra, you didn't. I have carry on bags with me. I paid addtl so that I was sure I would have space for them, at the seat that I wanted. So, someone comes along and wants me to change seats? So, I now have to either take all my stuff with me, to the back of the plane, where there is probably no overhead space, or have to leave it in the overhead bin away from where I'm sitting? Nope. I have now paid an addtl fee so that you can sit with your family, while I have to move.

Again...if you need to sit with someone, do what needs to be done, and pay for EBCI. You have a much better shot at finding the seating that you need.

Wow. I really didn't mean to make you so defensive. You're right If you paid the money so you can have your special seat then you should have it. No where in any way did I say you were a miserable person if you didn't switch. I am not a person who is "demanding" to strangers or anyone else in my life. lol Your answer would just have been no. I would never ask a bunch of people to move to accommodate a "group" I'm talking one person. Would someone switch with me so I could sit with my young child?
But to be honest, this would never happen to me if I were travelling with young children because I would pre board and would make sure to check in at the earliest possible time so we could get a good boarding status

Wow. I really didn't mean to make you so defensive. You're right If you paid the money so you can have your special seat then you should have it. No where in any way did I say you were a miserable person if you didn't switch. I am not a person who is "demanding" to strangers or anyone else in my life. lol Your answer would just have been no. I would never ask a bunch of people to move to accommodate a "group" I'm talking one person. Would someone switch with me so I could sit with my young child?
But to be honest, this would never happen to me if I were travelling with young children because I would pre board and would make sure to check in at the earliest possible time so we could get a good boarding status
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across as defensive! Not my intention at all. This is a very hot topic here on this board. Way too many people have come here and say 'It costs too much money to buy EBCI for my entire family. If I board with my kids, surely people will change seats with us to allow us to sit together, right? People won't make a family split up, right?'.
Let's say I'm in the aisle seat, row 6. I need that seat because I want to be off the plane fairly quickly. I paid for EBCI so that I could get my choice of seats, early in the boarding process. I sit down. Well, later in the process, a mother and child come along. No place for them to sit together. But the middle seat next to me is empty. They ask if I will find another seat, in the rear of the plane, so that they can sit together. Um, no, sorry.
However, if I don't have a particular need to be seated where I am, and I am offered a seat that is 'just as good', then sure, I'll consider changing. But there's no way I'm giving up my window or aisle seat to sit in a middle seat so someone can sit with their child.
Again, sorry if I came across as defensive...not my intention. Just trying to demonstrate why I feel the way I do.

An interesting example, some here have heard this before, so I apologize. I was flying SW back when you got into the line that was available when you got there....true cattle call boarding. I would arrive early, so usually got into the A line. But...you had to stay in that line to hold your spot. If you were alone, you either asked the person next to you to hold your spot, or you didn't leave to use the bathroom!!! And you stood there....it was grueling. If you arrived when the A line was full, you went into the B line, then the C line. Well....as I stood in my A line spot, I watched a mother walking around with her young son..probably about 4 or 5ish. They were walking around the gate area, but not in any line. So, I figured they were killing time until it was time to line up for their particular flight. Watched this for about an hour, as I stood in my line. Then I boarded. Okay....the B group boarded, then the C line got on. At the very end of the boarding process, the mother and child that I had been watching boarded. And of course there were no two seats together at this point. Probably about 8 single seats, middle seats, that were empty. The mother got on, and looked for seating. Finally, a FA came along and asked that someone offer to change seats so that a mother could sit with her child. No one moved. The FA said that they would offer free adult drinks if someone offered their seats. Nothing. Finally after the mother broke down in tears, the FA came over and said "Okay. This plane is not pulling away from the gate until someone gives up a seat for this mother and child.'' Someone did move..and of course it was a married couple who had been sitting together. And now, they were separated. No one with an empty middle seat next to them moved!!!! Could the mother have done something differently? Sure, she could have hopped into the B line when she arrived but she had a young child with her, and there was probably no way that kid would have stood there for an hour. So a lose lose situation. But people are still relying on the kindness of strangers to allow them to sit together. And that annoys the bejeebers out of me. It's your responsibility to do what needs to be done to sit together. Not mine!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across as defensive! Not my intention at all. This is a very hot topic here on this board. Way too many people have come here and say 'It costs too much money to buy EBCI for my entire family. If I board with my kids, surely people will change seats with us to allow us to sit together, right? People won't make a family split up, right?'.
Let's say I'm in the aisle seat, row 6. I need that seat because I want to be off the plane fairly quickly. I paid for EBCI so that I could get my choice of seats, early in the boarding process. I sit down. Well, later in the process, a mother and child come along. No place for them to sit together. But the middle seat next to me is empty. They ask if I will find another seat, in the rear of the plane, so that they can sit together. Um, no, sorry.
However, if I don't have a particular need to be seated where I am, and I am offered a seat that is 'just as good', then sure, I'll consider changing. But there's no way I'm giving up my window or aisle seat to sit in a middle seat so someone can sit with their child.
Again, sorry if I came across as defensive...not my intention. Just trying to demonstrate why I feel the way I do.

An interesting example, some here have heard this before, so I apologize. I was flying SW back when you got into the line that was available when you got there....true cattle call boarding. I would arrive early, so usually got into the A line. But...you had to stay in that line to hold your spot. If you were alone, you either asked the person next to you to hold your spot, or you didn't leave to use the bathroom!!! And you stood there....it was grueling. If you arrived when the A line was full, you went into the B line, then the C line. Well....as I stood in my A line spot, I watched a mother walking around with her young son..probably about 4 or 5ish. They were walking around the gate area, but not in any line. So, I figured they were killing time until it was time to line up for their particular flight. Watched this for about an hour, as I stood in my line. Then I boarded. Okay....the B group boarded, then the C line got on. At the very end of the boarding process, the mother and child that I had been watching boarded. And of course there were no two seats together at this point. Probably about 8 single seats, middle seats, that were empty. The mother got on, and looked for seating. Finally, a FA came along and asked that someone offer to change seats so that a mother could sit with her child. No one moved. The FA said that they would offer free adult drinks if someone offered their seats. Nothing. Finally after the mother broke down in tears, the FA came over and said "Okay. This plane is not pulling away from the gate until someone gives up a seat for this mother and child.'' Someone did move..and of course it was a married couple who had been sitting together. And now, they were separated. No one with an empty middle seat next to them moved!!!! Could the mother have done something differently? Sure, she could have hopped into the B line when she arrived but she had a young child with her, and there was probably no way that kid would have stood there for an hour. So a lose lose situation. But people are still relying on the kindness of strangers to allow them to sit together. And that annoys the bejeebers out of me. It's your responsibility to do what needs to be done to sit together. Not mine!

All excellent points. I hear you, I really do. You have to pay to ensure you get what you want And I remember those days too! It was rough!

I hear you about the seats. Especially if you have a connection or an event to get to. Jet blue cancelled my flight recently and scheduled me for the next day. Um...no. So I called and changed to another airport, booked a MUCH later flight as everything was booked and went in and waited for other flights in standby. I got a seat, in row 9, but my carryon had to go to row 28 Took me forever to get off that plane, but I was grateful I got the flight at all. Travel is tricky!

All excellent points. I hear you, I really do. You have to pay to ensure you get what you want And I remember those days too! It was rough!

I hear you about the seats. Especially if you have a connection or an event to get to. Jet blue cancelled my flight recently and scheduled me for the next day. Um...no. So I called and changed to another airport, booked a MUCH later flight as everything was booked and went in and waited for other flights in standby. I got a seat, in row 9, but my carryon had to go to row 28 Took me forever to get off that plane, but I was grateful I got the flight at all. Travel is tricky!
Oh, travel is indeed tricky!!! And that's the reason I get so persnickity here on this board. People tend to post generalities, of experiences they may have had that are way outside the norm. I don't doubt their experiences, but just want others to know what the norm is!!!! No place for rumor here on this board. I would hate for a new person, with little to no travel experience, to come back here and say that they got believed something they saw here, but it turned out to be an exaggeration!!! And they had a miserable experience.

Just in case you don't know: you don't preboard with young children on SW. Families board between groups A & B. And there have been reports that family boarding is sometimes suspended to or from Orlando because most of the plane would be eligible.

Last edited:

Since you quoted me - if/when I had a 6yo I would pay the EBIC to sit with the child why even take the risk ?

I just bought my February airfare yesterday. Just us 2 adults. And yes, we bought early birds for both ends. I'm not a good flyer and want to sit next to my spouse-- no kids thisflight, just 2 adults. So it was an extra $30 each way. It's well worth it to us. We normally fly jetblue, but their times stink out of bwi for our home flight. Flying out of Dulles. I did use my JetBlue credit card for my SW flights! Lol.

Since you quoted me - if/when I had a 6yo I would pay the EBIC to sit with the child why even take the risk ?

I just don't think it's the high risk that some seem to feel it is. That's all. I don't worry about things a lot. Things work out. Nothing against those who want to feel secure about things, I just operate a little differently I guess.

Sometimes it's not about a 'high risk'. Sometimes it's more about convenience. Many of us don't like having to worry about checking in at the 24 hr window....we may be away from our devices, doing something else that prevents us from being online to do that checkin. And believe me...I don't want to be in the C group!!! I hate standing around, waiting. So, we pay the addtl charge...I think of it as a convenience fee, since I'm not paying for baggage.

I just don't think it's the high risk that some seem to feel it is. That's all. I don't worry about things a lot. Things work out. Nothing against those who want to feel secure about things, I just operate a little differently I guess.
Things work out because you expect others to bend when you weren't willing to go the extra mile to do what needed to be done.

Well obviously I'm not you but you've mentioned that if you had a younger child you would ask someone to move so you could sit next to your younger child...perhaps that is why you don't worry about things a lot.

I truly do understand not getting EBCI when you just don't care about sitting next to your traveling party. But it's quite the other thing to think "well it works out because I'll just ask someone to move; I'd move if they asked me". I mean I hold the door open all the time at places for people as a courtesy but how rude and entitled would I look if I expected everyone to hold the door open for me?

And yes as another poster mentioned Family Boarding is after A and before B. No pre-boards just because the age of your child for SWA.

Things work out because you expect others to bend when you weren't willing to go the extra mile to do what needed to be done.

Wow That's really nasty. I don't expect others to do anything. I might ask if I feel the situation warrants it. I might not. I might get screwed because I didn't want to pay the extra $ on a ticket I have already paid for. You don't have to agree. You don't have to like my choices. You don't have to swap seats with anyone who asks.
Don't make assumptions about me or anyone else. It's rude.
Thing work out because I have a good attitude, I go with the flow, and I look at all aspects of travel as an adventure. I have probably flown Southwest with kids 12-18 times. I have NEVER had to ask someone to switch seats with me and we have ALWAYS been able to seat at least two of us together.
every.single.time.

So yeah...things work out, and I don't worry

Well obviously I'm not you but you've mentioned that if you had a younger child you would ask someone to move so you could sit next to your younger child...perhaps that is why you don't worry about things a lot.

I truly do understand not getting EBCI when you just don't care about sitting next to your traveling party. But it's quite the other thing to think "well it works out because I'll just ask someone to move; I'd move if they asked me". I mean I hold the door open all the time at places for people as a courtesy but how rude and entitled would I look if I expected everyone to hold the door open for me?

And yes as another poster mentioned Family Boarding is after A and before B. No pre-boards just because the age of your child for SWA.

Again, I might ask. I am amazed at how this is chafing so many people. If someone said no I'd say, "okay. I understand. Thanks anyway" I'm not taking advantage of anyone. I'm not stealing something you are entitled to. lol And me saying I would swap if someone asks is not an indictment on the character of anyone who wants to say no. It's just what I would do It doesn't have to be right for anyone else.

I think it's rude. A lot of people don't like confrontation and would say "yes" just to avoid a potential scene. Don't put people in that situation.

I personally would never dream of asking someone to do something that would benefit me if I could have taken steps to prevent it from happening. But that's just me. Everyone handles things differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter