Southwest - Do I need to pay for early check in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I might ask. I am amazed at how this is chafing so many people. If someone said no I'd say, "okay. I understand. Thanks anyway" I'm not taking advantage of anyone. I'm not stealing something you are entitled to. lol And me saying I would swap if someone asks is not an indictment on the character of anyone who wants to say no. It's just what I would do It doesn't have to be right for anyone else.
Actually you said:
If I had a 6 younger child that I needed to sit with I would ask.

You also mentioned:
Even if it's a full flight there are virtually always people who would switch with you if the situation came up so that your kids wouldn't sit alone.
Which isn't a statement that I would personally make though of course this is just me personally. Each and every flight is different.

And also this:
But to be honest, this would never happen to me if I were travelling with young children because I would pre board and would make sure to check in at the earliest possible time so we could get a good boarding status
Which from your comments you've flown SWA at least 12-18 times with kids so you should know that Family Boarding is between A and B.

As far as checking in at the earliest time- we do that as well-on the dot 24hrs. Just this year alone for just me (as my husband is currently A-List Preferred) March 7th from DEN-MCI B33 (I don't have the e-boarding pass saved for my flight to Denver from MCI, ETA: but I did actually just remember as an odd fluke I got a C boarding position-first time ever in the years of flying with SWA that I got one- still convinced it was a random fluke lol), September 8th MCI to MCO A50, September 18th MCO to MCI B16, October 2nd MCI to LAS B17, October 9th LAS to MCI B24. All of these are without EBCI. Each and every flight is different. I don't exactly remember the boarding positions but last year when I flew (which I flew a total of 6 times spread over 3 trips) at least twice was in the A boarding without EBCI.

I don't worry about things a lot. Things work out.
I can appreciate that and have the outlook as well on most things but one of them, even without having children, is not thinking that things will work out each and everytime with having my child sitting next to me if that is what I wanted. That to me isn't the outlook that is prudent. Of course there is a chance every single time it works out that is for sure but a chance and a certainty are two different things and for me if I was looking to provide advice to someone I would want them to plan for the worst and hope for the best rather than just say "yeah someone will likely switch for ya" (paraphrasing here). And that last comment is what drove the responses people had toward you.

Last edited:
Actually you said:

You also mentioned:
Which isn't a statement that I would personally make though of course this is just me personally. Each and every flight is different.

And also this:
Which from your comments you've flown SWA at least 12-18 times with kids so you should know that Family Boarding is between A and B.

As far as checking in at the earliest time- we do that as well-on the dot 24hrs. Just this year alone for just me (as my husband is currently A-List Preferred) March 7th from DEN-MCI B33 (I don't have the e-boarding pass saved for my flight to Denver from MCI, ETA: but I did actually just remember as an odd fluke I got a C boarding position-first time ever in the years of flying with SWA that I got one- still convinced it was a random fluke lol), September 8th MCI to MCO A50, September 18th MCO to MCI B16, October 2nd MCI to LAS B17, October 9th LAS to MCI B24. All of these are without EBCI. Each and every flight is different. I don't exactly remember the boarding positions but last year when I flew (which I flew a total of 6 times spread over 3 trips) at least twice was in the A boarding without EBCI.

I can appreciate that and have the outlook as well on most things but one of them, even without having children, is not thinking that things will work out each and everytime with having my child sitting next to me if that is what I wanted. That to me isn't the outlook that is prudent. Of course there is a chance every single time it works out that is for sure but a chance and a certainty are two different things and for me if I was looking to provide advice to someone I would want them to plan for the worst and hope for the best rather than just say "yeah someone will likely switch for ya" (paraphrasing here). And that last comment is what drove the responses people had toward you.

Like I said, I just don't worry about things a lot. I believe most things in life work out okay. That doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else. Just different than some. And I still stand by my statement that people often switch seats. I've seen it happen and it just doesn't seem to be a burden to the ones I have observed. I've done it when travelling alone one time. But perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps they are seething with anger and resentment at being asked to switch and feeling like they had to do it out of obligation. Maybe we've just been lucky with our seating assignments. I am pretty hardcore on getting them right on the 24 hour mark. But even when we didn't get in the first group or two, we were fine.
I really didn't intend to cause such an uproar. And I'm really not a jerk who expects the world to bend for me. Quite the contrary. Personal responsibility for your actions is one the most important things I teach my kids. And as I said before, I might get screwed by not buying it and that would be my tough luck. Not everyone is going to get my outlook though, and I'm okay with that. I just think we could disagree without some people getting so snarky about it. Yet another lesson I teach my kids

And I still stand by my statement that people often switch seats. I've seen it happen and it just doesn't seem to be a burden to the ones I have observed. I've done it when travelling alone one time. But perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps they are seething with anger and resentment at being asked to switch and feeling like they had to do it out of obligation.
Eh see I think you're just trying to go to the other end of the spectrum here. Of course people can seeth with anger but it's doubtful everyone is. What does happen is the pressure to switch seats or have the potential for people to glare at you for leaving that mother or father or whatever scrambling to find a seat to sit next to their kid.

Your assumption that everyone was perfectly willing to move with no sense of pressure, obligation or whatever is probably why you have the outlook you do (and I say that with no offense meant). Others however are thinking about the possibility that the other person sitting in that seat has their own reason for wanting/needing to sit there-most are thinking about the other passengers rather than themselves and why they are promoting EBCI since they don't want to take that risk of not being able to sit with their traveling party rather than thinking "surely someone will switch for me".

I am pretty hardcore on getting them right on the 24 hour mark. But even when we didn't get in the first group or two, we were fine.
Which is good it's just knowing that you may not be. The whole "everything works out" mantra doesn't always work in this case.

Personal responsibility for your actions is one the most important things I teach my kids.
Which is quite odd because that is actually what the other posters are promoting--personal responsibility--as in do what you can to ensure you have the best opportunity to get what you want without relying on others and instead rely on yourself.

And as I said before, I might get screwed by not buying it and that would be my tough luck.
And people were responding to that when you are faced with having someone in your traveling party want to sit by you. As you said you would ask someone to move if you were traveling with a young child. So what happens if no one will move for you--that is what people are talking about.

I just think we could disagree without some people getting so snarky about it. Yet another lesson I teach my kids
Well I'm not being snarky with you. I was and am however laying it out straight on a more practical level.

Like I said, I just don't worry about things a lot. I believe most things in life work out okay. That doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else. Just different than some. And I still stand by my statement that people often switch seats. I've seen it happen and it just doesn't seem to be a burden to the ones I have observed. I've done it when travelling alone one time. But perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps they are seething with anger and resentment at being asked to switch and feeling like they had to do it out of obligation. Maybe we've just been lucky with our seating assignments. I am pretty hardcore on getting them right on the 24 hour mark. But even when we didn't get in the first group or two, we were fine.
I really didn't intend to cause such an uproar. And I'm really not a jerk who expects the world to bend for me. Quite the contrary. Personal responsibility for your actions is one the most important things I teach my kids. And as I said before, I might get screwed by not buying it and that would be my tough luck. Not everyone is going to get my outlook though, and I'm okay with that. I just think we could disagree without some people getting so snarky about it. Yet another lesson I teach my kids
You are reading snark where there is none. Personal responsibility is not something you espoused in any of your earlier posts.

Think main point everyone should follow is if it is important to sit with your party no matter what the age buy EBCI or be prepared to be separated if you aren’t online at 24 hour mark.

Don’t expect people to be accommodating if you didn’t get EBCI or forgot to be online at 24 hours and got bad boarding position for you and snowflake. People are not entitled with kids - asking someone to move who paid so they could sit in specific seat is selfish. They might not physically show a reason for having to sit there but who are you to ask them to move.

When our boys were young I never flew SW- now I love SW and even though sons are 21,22 I always buy EBCI so I don’t have to worry about being online at 24 hours.

Travel is stressful enough these days -

And we're pretty much done here. Nothing is being accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter