Spiderman, the Movie - Whatdja think?

kellymonaghan

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
I've been away from the boards for a while and the first thing I looked for was the lengthy thread about the new Spidey flick. But it doesn't seem to exist.

Surely I can't be the only one here who saw the movie over the weekend.

I, for one, thought it was terrific and that the casting of Tobey Maguire was sheer genius. (I also kinda liked the stories in the press about how he was the underdog and had to do several screen tests to get the part.)

The newspapers said the reason for the huge opening weekend gross was that the movie appealed to so many different audiences, which I think is another of the film's big successes. Action, romance, humor, all nicely blended. A great American style fairy tale. I can't wait for the sequel.

How about some other reaction.

Great movie!

I am impaiently waiting to hear the rumors of Spidey 2. I so want Venom to be in it. The only character I was not too keen on was MJ, Kirsten Dunst is beautiful but she is just not what I had pictured MJ to be.

:wave: Hi, Kelly!

While I am HARDLY unbiased, I must say I LOVED it! Here's a link to a post we had running on the Community Board.

TonyM started a post on spidey-itis that got some reviews.CLICK HERE

Was that some kiss or WHAT!:eek: :D I thought it was terrific, loved the shots of spiderman swinging through the city!

Dh and ds were underwhelmed. Dh said with everyone saying how great it was he expected more.

We all loved the movie! I was really disappointed at the PG-13 rating but did take the 5 year old after all. He ended up fine with it. I loved Tobey Maguire, and the rest of the cast. I thought the special effects could have been better though. We saw it at the drive in which was really cool, I made little spider treats for the kids & kool-aid with spider ice cubes in them! Tried to get some themeing going! LOL Any way looking forward to #2!

this was the BEST movie we had seen in some time ~ I can't say enough about it, it really was great.
the special effects were super, the characters were great & well played, wow !
we both came out raving about it.

Robinrs may have some new competition racing her to spidey !!!:D ;)

only one question ~~ I thought norman osborne didn't shake hands ???
thats was my only comment & I say comment, because I don't think the average moviegoer would catch that , and, because I don't think it took away from the story at all.
<rant over>

Does the fact I saw it once on opening day, saw it again two days later and am going to see it again tonite give away my thoughts on the film?

I'm a tremendous comic fan, mostly of x-men; I like Spidey, but it never became THE book I read. I've been waiting for 12-14 loonnnggg years for this puppy to get made, with all the legal battles over the rights and all. James Cameron would have made a great movie, I'm sure, but Sam Raimi made an exceptional one.

As others have stated, Tobey was AWESOME. I could not pick a better Peter Parker. He was nerdy, but heroic at the same time. I just love it when the little guy (like me!) wins. Willima Dafoe had Green Golbin down pat as well (then, when has he never gotten a wierd psycho down pat!?!)-his voice matched that of the green goblin's in all of his tv/cartoon incarnations. Kirsten did the best with what she had, but face it, Mary Jane has always just been "A face" with no real substance to her character. Adding the whole family and personal turmoil suprised me and added a very pleasant aspect to the film.

As far as the fx...well, they were a vast improvement over the early tests I saw a year ago, and defintitely better than Spidey would have ever looked prior to now. I guess what they say is true...good things come to those who wait.

My only two beefs were the goblin suit and the score. The preproduction pictures I saw on various movie rumor sites long before filming had begun looked much better and fiercer than what made it onto screen. They had plenty of sinister spikes and circuitry, not to mention the character's purple acsents from the books. Seeing it action on screen, though, wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, just not what it could have been. As far as the score, it wasn't heroic enough to really stand out, but as long as you have a near flawless film, I guess a roaring score would have detracted slightly.

As far as the sequal, sony as already anounced a release date of May 7, 2004. The script was being written months before this one was even released. The person who wanted to see Venom is going to be disapointed...the rights to venom actually belong to Time Warner/New Line, so there'd have to be some agreement reached in order for him to appear. Anyhoo, I heard a radio interview with Kirsten Dunst who already spilled the beans on the villainS- Doc Ock and the Lizard. Octopus was supposed to be in this one, but they cut him out to focus on the green Golbin/Spidey angle.

Now let's all go see Spiderman many more times and blow Titanic out of the all time box office water!

I haven't seen it yet, (planning to go this weekend).

I've been staying away from Spidey threads to preserve my viewing experience. :p But I couldn't help myself, I had to peek at one!:D

My son rented the X-Box game of spidey last weekend and couldn't put it down. It was a lot fun to watch and (tell him how to manuever as the "armchair commando"). He has already seen the movie with his friends and tells me the game has the same ending as the movie. I wouldn't watch the end for obvious reasons. The special effects on the game are awesome--I can only imagine how the movie must be!

Doc Ock and the Lizard.

Too cool news, Randy!! I kind of like Doc Ock and was HOPING he'd be in the first one, too!
dr_ock.jpg

I was also not too thrilled with the choice of MJ. I thought that they were just picking the "flavor of the month" with KD. But I thought she did a great job. I remember growing up thinking that MJ was so exotically beautiful and that she had TWO dimples just like I did! KD is not exotic at all and only has ONE!

The THINGS we hold holy! :p

We are taking DGS tonight (if I can convince Ohai to drive to the other end of the island, only movie theatre we have ;) ) otherwise tomorrow night for sure. Maybe this will get him to change from Godzilla and Universal Monsters (DGS not Ohai!) :p Really hope he gets into Spiderman because I hear there will be a special Spiderman show at USH when we go next month. Not as good as the ride, but still a treat.
Aloha,
Donna

Originally posted by Barry Hom

I think Robin wanted to be MJ. :)

Stop telling my "secrets!"

Have a great time, MG! This movie has made converts out of lots of people! At least now no one wonders WHY I wear my Spiderman necklace anymore! :D

Originally posted by Molokai Gram We are taking DGS tonight (if I can convince Ohai to drive to the other end of the island,Donna

Donna, how long does that take, 5-10 min? :p

Personally I think they threw in a little gratuitous violence just to earn the pg-12 rating so they could bring in the teens. My 8 year old was fine except for one scene.

Actually our island is 40 miles long and we live in the middle, so it is about 20 miles to the movies. :p
I saw my daughter inlaw this morning and told her to bring the kids and we would all go tonight...still haven't told Ohai.:eek:
But after reading everyone's posts, I am sure it will be a terrific night for all of us. :bounce:

Originally posted by Seahag
only one question ~~ I thought norman osborne didn't shake hands ???
When did he shake someone's hand? The only time I recall is when he shook Peter's hand but he liked him better than his own son. He didn't like shaking people's hands in business because he thought they were lying and that they'd turn around and stab him in the back.

We went and loved it! Wish we could have finished the evening with the ride. :( DGS was totally enthralled and only hid his eyes during the kissing scenes. :o Gotta feeling I am going to have a web slinger wanna be playing outside tomorrow. :D

Originally posted by julie_yet

When did he shake someone's hand? The only time I recall is when he shook Peter's hand but he liked him better than his own son. He didn't like shaking people's hands in business because he thought they were lying and that they'd turn around and stab him in the back.

You are correct.

This movie is my new favorite. I liked everything about it except the goblin's costume....It really was not good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter