Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the difference is for people who like the ride, at the end of the day, changing it will just mean they lose that ride. For those that are complaining about the ride and its connection to SotS changing it means no longer having to be reminded of a time, not too long ago, when people who look like them were subjected to state-sponsored terrorism partially supported by propaganda like SotS and other "Lost Cause" mythology. Even if there are fewer people that have issues with the ride, the stakes of their concerns are way higher than those who are unbothered.

So, you want a name change for the company? Looks like Walt was the one spreading that propaganda.

I could see where a lot of people could feel that way.

Last edited:
Jungle Cruise is already trending on Twitter with mentions of Peter Pan.

Very mixed feelings on Peter Pan. I love the movie so much as a kid, and it was one of the first Disney rides, but the depictions of Native Americans as 'the red man' are pretty bad. I would want to know more about how Native Americans feel about that before deciding what I think. Jungle Cruise could hopefully be changed with a few modifications, the general ride left intact.

As for Splash Mountain - doubt many will agree, but all social justice issues aside, I love the idea of replacing it with a Princess and the Frog ride anyways. I'd be for it even if Splash Mountain wasn't considered offensive.
Native here. It's honestly been a while since I've seen Peter Pan. The depictions in it seem so outlandish that I think of it as more comical than offensive. If I thought people actually believed the depictions were real, I'd prob be offended.
At least for me and my family, there's a difference between a friend making an obvious joke than someone saying something offhand that on the face might not be as "bad" but that they obviously believe to be true. The former tends to come off as they KNOW whatever they're saying is ridiculous and untrue and it's like they/we are in on a joke together (more making fun of ridiculous racist viewpoints than of Natives). My husband has had people say negative things about Natives to him (when the person doesn't know his wife and kids are Native), and it's usually a very WTH moment. In those instances, the comments are not meant to point out the absurdity of the viewpoints, it's actually what the people think.
Obviously other people can and do have different feelings than my family and I do.

Last edited:
And Country Bear Jamboree (which I LOVE, maybe not as much as but almost as much as Craig) portrays Southerners/rural Americans as podunk hillbillies. At what point do we call it, burn the whole thing down, and salt the earth where it stood?

Hey I get it it I'm from the north of Scotland and our whole history is being stood down on for being lesser than the English, having parts of our history stolen from us even our language but do I go to England and see them making rides out of the savage highlander - NO because it would be bad form. However, do I get jokes about the scots eating deep fried mars bars and shouting about freedom YES because it is a stereotype we have embraced as funny. It is about knowing the difference and listening.

If the Southern USA wanted those stereotypes removed I would back that.

And it also wasn’t seen as problematic when it came out. Things change, people change, ideals change. We move forward. Some things and ideas are very outdated and belong in the past. If Walt were alive and you asked him if he’d make that movie again, I. Sure you know the answer he’d give. I’m grieving just as much as anyone sad to see Splash Mountain go. But it had to go. And I’m excited to be able to ride it at least 1 more time, and I’m excited to see the new ride developed by 2 Uber talented imagineers

It definitely was seen as problematic when it came out. The NAACP took out ads protesting its release when it came out and many others criticized it for its depiction of black people and the South in general. It came out 7 years after Gone With the Wind and even when that came out people had issues with it.

And Country Bear Jamboree (which I LOVE, maybe not as much as but almost as much as Craig) portrays Southerners/rural Americans as podunk hillbillies. At what point do we call it, burn the whole thing down, and salt the earth where it stood?
I think this whole slippery slope argument is kind of overdone at this point. Anything can be argued against using the slippery slope position. People said this years ago when Disney started selling rainbow Mickey ears. The fact is that Disney will call it and make the ultimate determination of what is outdated and what they feel comfortable with representing their brand. It’s mildly surprising to me that they wanted no association between their brand and SotS yet had a marque attraction tied to it in their two most popular theme parks (plus TDL). When making decisions about future changes, they’ll have input from a variety of perspectives and backgrounds and make a reasonable decision based on what they want representing their brand. It’s their park, so it’s their decision where to draw the line. If anyone disagrees with their decision, they can take their business elsewhere.

It definitely was seen as problematic when it came out. The NAACP took out ads protesting its release when it came out and many others criticized it for its depiction of black people and the South in general. It came out 7 years after Gone With the Wind and even when that came out people had issues with it.

IIRC there was a black man helping with the writing of the movie who left due to the depiction of african americans in the movie. or at least I seem to remember that.

And it also wasn’t seen as problematic when it came out. Things change, people change, ideals change. We move forward. Some things and ideas are very outdated and belong in the past. If Walt were alive and you asked him if he’d make that movie again, I. Sure you know the answer he’d give. I’m grieving just as much as anyone sad to see Splash Mountain go. But it had to go. And I’m excited to be able to ride it at least 1 more time, and I’m excited to see the new ride developed by 2 Uber talented imagineers

Wrong. It absolutely was. And rightfully so.

Last edited:

Problematic pre and post civil rights movement were very different. Look at what Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon are going through right now. People were appalled by what they did when they did it, but it wasn’t the outrage that it is now, 20 years later. Is Universal going to close the Jimmy Fallon ride because he did some very racially insensitive things in 2000?

Splash mountain is my favorite ride in the MK. I love the music. I wish Song of the South was more readily available, if only to be able to encourage discussion.

I also think this is a good decision for many of the already stated reasons. I look forward to the new theme; I hope to be amazed.

Problematic pre and post civil rights movement were very different. Look at what Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon are going through right now. People were appalled by what they did when they did it, but it wasn’t the outrage that it is now, 20 years later. Is Universal going to close the Jimmy Fallon ride because he did some very racially insensitive things in 2000?

Mel Brooks would have been deported forever.

I think this whole slippery slope argument is kind of overdone at this point. Anything can be argued against using the slippery slope position. People said this years ago when Disney started selling rainbow Mickey ears. The fact is that Disney will call it and make the ultimate determination of what is outdated and what they feel comfortable with representing their brand. It’s mildly surprising to me that they wanted no association between their brand and SotS yet had a marque attraction tied to it in their two most popular theme parks (plus TDL). When making decisions about future changes, they’ll have input from a variety of perspectives and backgrounds and make a reasonable decision based on what they want representing their brand. It’s their park, so it’s their decision where to draw the line. If anyone disagrees with their decision, they can take their business elsewhere.

I agree and I'm going to tread lightly here. When i hear people who don't want something people are offended by to change try to defend it by deciding what some other group (who hasn't said anything) should be offended by that would then have to change as well it makes be cringe a bit. It's a strawman at best.

Hey, I'm from Tennessee (hyuk! - actually I am a very urbane city-folk ;) ) - the CBJ doesn't offend me at all. I wouldn't get out the pitchforks if they decided to tewak it a little, as long as it's not too heavily.

Haha. It doesn't offend me either. I'm just saying.

By the way, I'm so hyuk that I GO to Tennessee for excitement/entertainment. That's like....the big city for me.

my only gripe at first was the FL theme but then I remember Song of the South really doesn't fit a 'Western' aesthetic either.....

I hope they decide to in good faith open up a Beginet place prior to the ride closing cause god knows when POFQ will reopen and even if they do if day guests will be able to even visit scat cats

Also if I were in charge I'd of 100% just softly closed the origional instead of reopening it in July that way I could prioritize getting the redo + tron open by the 50th

No way. Absolutely the only thing keeping me from having a full on sobbing fit was the fact that I will be able to ride the ride I love again.

Hey I get it it I'm from the north of Scotland and our whole history is being stood down on for being lesser than the English, having parts of our history stolen from us even our language but do I go to England and see them making rides out of the savage highlander - NO because it would be bad form. However, do I get jokes about the scots eating deep fried mars bars and shouting about freedom YES because it is a stereotype we have embraced as funny. It is about knowing the difference and listening.

If the Southern USA wanted those stereotypes removed I would back that.

I visited Scotland a couple of years ago. I loved it, had a lovely time, and would love to go back again. I did not yell Freedom during my travels, but I am not going to lie.....I arrived in Edinburgh around 8 pm and my first stop was an all-night fry shop, my first meal in Scotland was a deep fried mars bar.

Also, like the good Disney girl I am, I had to go deep cut and visit Greyfriar's Bobby.

Whatever they do, I hope they don't cheap out on ANYTHING. I don't hate the FEA ride, but a bunch of easily-visible blank walls is unacceptable. I hope any alteration to Splash (and Jungle Cruise, etc) is done WELL, ala Guardians. ToT is my favorite ride anywhere, and I was very skeptical of the Guardians redo, but it's fantastic - they did an amazing job with theming, the quality of all the visuals and props, both on ride and in the queue. Splash needs that level of redo. (I also feel like Runaway Railway is too sparse, and needs a LOT more physical props - the only wow moment for me is when you go down the waterfall.)

I don't see a slippery slope. If you consider Song of the South racist propaganda, how could you not be upset with the person that actually paid for the rights, produced it, and spread it to the entire world? I would be.

Last edited:
Call me a pessimist but the main way I see this going is Disney doing a bad re-skin of one of their most iconic rides, probably with screens and all of the other trappings of modern Disney dark rides that I personally don't like; in essence doing both Splash Mountain and the PATF property a complete disservice. All because the ride -- which is more based on folktales than the actual movie at this point and is about cartoon animals-- is "problematic". And I'm saying all this as a huge fan of PATF, like it's on my top ten Disney movies list. But Splash is a testament to classic Disney Imagineering, it is one of the Disney rides, and I just know whatever they do in these changes will end up being underwhelming.

I was surprised how hard this news hit me. It’s just a theme park ride. But the memories I have that are associated with Splash are stronger than I even thought I guess. Definitely one more reason to go to Japan.

Well... I loved parts of the movie and all of the ride, but I can't be upset with anyone bothered by its faults. I will dearly miss the characters and songs... it's such a HAPPY RIDE!

I am very happy with the new theme, however. I'm even more happy that it highlights a princess that many children can visually identify with. It's a good movie, has great songs, and fits just as well in the respective areas as Splash Mountain did.

Mourn the loss of the things that were good. Celebrate the possibilities of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter