• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sports Legends That Ended Up Leaving Your Team/City

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
If you follow sports religiously, then you have more than likely seen a player develop into one of the best of all time and then leave via free agency. Whether it be players like LeBron James leaving Cleveland (the first time), Peyton Manning leaving Indianapolis and now Tom Brady leaving the Patriots, what player turned legend ended up leaving your team?

In Baltimore, we really haven't had any true legends leave except Ed Reed and Terrell Suggs, but there were some in recent years such as Manny Machado and Joe Flacco who were cut or traded.

Boog Powell has some pretty darn good BBQ at Camden Yard...in addition to a stellar career.

I'm not necessarily a fan of many of these teams, but I certainly remember them. They didn't necessarily leave via free agency though. Many were traded, but because the team knew they wouldn't be able to re-sign or because they were declining in performance.

Joe Montana to the Chiefs.
Jerry Rice - although it was to the Raiders.
Mark McGwire to the Cardinals. On the other hand he does seem to be tainted.
Rick Barry to the Rockets.
Patrick Marleau to the Maple Leafs. He did come back for a short stint though.
Joe Pavelski to the Stars.

Bobby Bonilla from the Pirates to the Mets
Andrew McCuthen from the Pirates to the SF Giants

LeBron both times
Albert Belle , Many Ramirez and many other legends on the Indians that they let go come big contract time.
Football - the whole team when Beelzebub Modell moved to Balt

The Reds made the mistake of trading Tony Perez in 1976. Doggie was the heart and soul of the Big Red Machine. That ended the great BRM run.

A couple of years later Pete Rose went to the Phillies as a free agent. I learned he's one of those guys you hate, unless he's on your team. I couldn't see it when he was a Red, but could definitely see it when he was a Phillie.

I am still mad The Eagles let Brian Dawkins walk and sign with the Broncos. He wanted to stay in Philly but thought their lowball contract for his final three years was an insult

Lou Brock--Cubs to Cardinals

Dennis Eckersley--Cubs to Oakland

Greg Maddux--Cubs to Atlanta

All good examples, here's the list from D-FW.
Rangers: Jim Sundberg, Pudge Rodriguez.
Stars: Mike Modano.
Cowboys: Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter