• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Springtime Surprise Weekend 2024 (April 18-21)

Weird question. I'm a RunDisney vet signed up for the challenge. I have lithotripsy surgery on April 8 which is going to reduce me to slow walking speed. Given the financial commitment and the encouragement to get up and walk alot after the surgery, I plan on still attending. How far into the 10K/10 miler do the sweeping points begin? I want to be able to bow out if my body says enough, but hope I get an early enough corral to stay to the right and not worry about it.

Weird question. I'm a RunDisney vet signed up for the challenge. I have lithotripsy surgery on April 8 which is going to reduce me to slow walking speed. Given the financial commitment and the encouragement to get up and walk alot after the surgery, I plan on still attending. How far into the 10K/10 miler do the sweeping points begin? I want to be able to bow out if my body says enough, but hope I get an early enough corral to stay to the right and not worry about it.
They don’t start sweeping until the balloon ladies catch up to you and they start dead last (usually 45-60 minutes after the first people start) and maintain a 16 minute pace. So every minute you start ahead of them is extra time you have to slow your pace.

10K Last year I was exiting the crescent lake loop between miles 4 & 5 at around 7am ish as the balloon ladies we’re entering it

Didn’t see them at all during the 10 miler

I want to be able to bow out if my body says enough,

There is usually a medical tent around Mile 1 where you can stop. The one time that I had to pull myself during the marathon due to injury, there were A LOT of people who stopped there to wait for a ride back to the start.

If you need to stop or if you need help and are not near a medical tent, you can flag down one of the bicyclists and they will call someone for you. Disney has excellent coverage for all of the races and is well prepared to take care of people if necessary.

I think the course certifications are up, but I can never get the maps to load until someone posts them.

ETA:
Let me retry the link;
https://www.certifiedroadraces.com/certificate/?type=r&id=5542

ETA:
Never mind this is from last year

ETA: well that was when it was measured (Nov 2024), but effective March 1, 2024.

(Sorry for all the updates! I need to look closer before I post!!)

Last edited:

It’s almost identical. I overlaid my Strava map from last year over this year’s course when the course certification first dropped in March
Ha! After I posted the map, I was thinking it looked pretty familiar and wondered if we had already talked about it. I’m aging…

Pacers for the 10 miler! View attachment 848080
I might try to stick with the 2:10 group.

Thanks for posting!

Tip for those of you worried about the balloon ladies: Set up your tracker to follow one of the 16:00 pacers, and also track yourself. As you cross timing mats, you can watch for the pacer to cross and you'll know how much buffer you have! Hopefully they bring back the ability to do text alerts, but if not you can pull it up on your phone on the course.

The guide says that all of the start groups open at the same time for all of the races. Do we think this is because it's a smaller race weekend? I can't remember if this was also the case for Princess, but recall that the delayed opening for the last group at W&D was very not good.

The courses are practically identical to last year’s except for the mini-ajustements in Epcot Celebration-Discovery (anciently Future World).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter