STACE Mountain @WL Aug2010 PTR with PICS- Update 7/22!

Welcome PirateKate!

I will try to have something new to read each day (right now I'm spinning wheels trying to also get a final exam typed for my students...) I also am DYING to write about the saga of the stroller..........:rotfl2:

I think I have enough ponchos now to keep Noah's Ark dry in a flood!

Oh and I just got my personalized Mousekeeping envelopes printed, and created my first design for our family t-shirts. (now to just buy some color ink for the printer.):idea:

talk (write) to you all soon!:surfweb:
-Stace

Unless something has changed since April, there is no Fastpass for Dumbo.:dumbo: Also does MK really have early and late magic hours that Tuesday? :eek:
Tell me about these Mousekeeping envelopes? We don't have daily trash/towel service at the DVC villas, and I'm not familiar with the custom. What do the envelopes look like. Can you post a pic?

For our first family Disney trip in March 1990 (OMG 20 years ago) I made us all matching Hawaiian print shirts. For DD, I made a cute little sundress with the same fabric I made our shirts. It wasn't Disney per se... unless you're thinkin' Polynesian.. but we looked cute!

Unless something has changed since April, there is no Fastpass for Dumbo.:dumbo: Also does MK really have early and late magic hours that Tuesday? :eek:
Tell me about these Mousekeeping envelopes? We don't have daily trash/towel service at the DVC villas, and I'm not familiar with the custom. What do the envelopes look like. Can you post a pic?

For our first family Disney trip in March 1990 (OMG 20 years ago) I made us all matching Hawaiian print shirts. For DD, I made a cute little sundress with the same fabric I made our shirts. It wasn't Disney per se... unless you're thinkin' Polynesian.. but we looked cute!

You are quite right! There is no fastpass option for Dumbo (not sure what I was thinking:confused3 maybe my brain was saying "go there first, go there first!" :rotfl:)

As for EMH: That morning is MK, the evening EMH is Epcot. I placed and "E" at the end of that line, but after you asked for clarification, I realized that that could be perceived as "evening," so I fixed it.

I would be super glad to post a pic of the envelopes. I just need to finish broiling this London broil, and start my kid's final first :upsidedow

I can NOT wait the 5 school days we have left:teacher:

-Stace

A great tip from a fellow DISer (Goofy4) was for me to keep busy customizing envelopes for mousekeeping. I looked at some examples on the creative thread, then I realized that was over my head. So I just created these on a Word document, printed, cut, and glued... enjoy!

The fronts are all the same (except that the days are labelled)
28818_1199718652345_1809926131_370247_8380292_n.jpg

The backs are where the differences are. They are B&W images from Google, but I had a heck of a time with those flaps! (it actually took some of my knowledge of geometry and algebra and rotation about the X and Y axes. :rotfl2: But I'm pretty pleased with how they look so far :thumbsup2
28818_1199718692346_1809926131_370248_7861140_n.jpg

I will embellish them still -you KNOW I will. :lmao:

A great tip from a fellow DISer (Goofy4) was for me to keep busy customizing envelopes for mousekeeping. I looked at some examples on the creative thread, then I realized that was over my head. So I just created these on a Word document, printed, cut, and glued... enjoy!

The fronts are all the same (except that the days are labelled)
28818_1199718652345_1809926131_370247_8380292_n.jpg

The backs are where the differences are. They are B&W images from Google, but I had a heck of a time with those flaps! (it actually took some of my knowledge of geometry and algebra and rotation about the X and Y axes. :rotfl2: But I'm pretty pleased with how they look so far :thumbsup2
28818_1199718692346_1809926131_370248_7861140_n.jpg

I will embellish them still -you KNOW I will. :lmao:

OOh I love the envelopes! What a nice job. The Mickey one with the signature is the same design I have on the bathroom towels and bathmat in my rec room level bathroom.

How much $$ do you leave for each day?

How much $$ do you leave for each day?

I know this sounds nuts (as the common amount is $1 per person per day) but I'm planning on leaving $5 per day.

My reason is this: My DH used to be a housekeeping director, and I got to know, I mean really know, some of his housekeepers and housemen. These individuals work so hard at such a thankless job (I would know! I'm a teacher! :lmao:) I just feel like anything less and I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the freshly-scrubbed gleaming mirror.

What do you think? (now to buy ink for the printer and iron-on transfers...)
28818_1199726972553_1809926131_370271_1641154_n.jpg

Wednesday 8/4
Animal Kingdom

EMH 8am-9AK
EMH 8pm-11HS

Safari @rope drop! :simba:
Safari Breakfast :donald:@Tusker
9:10 AM

CS possibilities:
Harambe Market (Fruit)
Flame Tree BBQ
Yak & Yeti (CS)
Espresso, Coffee & Pastry
Safari Turkey (DH has GOT to have that turkey leg!)

FASTPASS: Safari (if it looks like we won't make ADR)

How we're getting there & getting back:
I'm driving my car:drive:

Special note: we'll probably leave at 2 or 3PM for nap @ resort

Nighttime plans:
None, unless we venture to EPCOT for Illuminations

Hi! I followed you from our August board! I just read everything. Now let me see if I can remember what I wanted to reply to...

First of all congrats on your first trip! :thumbsup2I'm so excited you convinced your hubby to take a trip sooner rather then later! It is so much fun with little ones! And your daughter is adorable!:lovestruc

So we've only been on two family trips so far. First time our girls were 3 and 1, second time they were 4 and 2.

So what we've decided about bags is that less is more. The first year we were there we had a big diaper bag filled with everything, a cooler and the videocamera bag. Well it was fine when we could leave it in the stroller, but it was such a pain to get everything out! You will need to take out and open each bag and each compartment at security before entering the parks. And if you decide to take the buses at all, then it was like a small marathon getting all of the bags, folding the stroller, carrying the kids on...exhausting! So last year I carried one bag, a baggallini, and it was so nice not to worry about lugging it all around!

We also do not park hop. We find it to be so much easier to stay in one place with the little ones. I was going to suggest that if you don't think you'll park hop, but may change your minds....then downgrade to the base tickets. If you find you want to hop while you're there, you can upgrade to the hoppers for the same price.

Oh and I LOVE the coach bag. And all of the little goodies you got so far. I haven't even thought about shopping for this trip yet. Well just a couple small things... haha

Oh one more thing to mention. The dollar store ponchos are very thin and cling to you. It felt very hot wearing them. I didn't mind so much, but my husband hated them! He gave up and got the ones they sell at the parks.

dolfinjuls- I think I'm going to need an interventon STAT! I'm preparing myself for a bag emergency. Here's my "bag list" so far...

Bag1- Coach Swing Pack (KTTW card, ID, small amount of cash, cell phone, point-and-shoot camera)

Bag2- Red "Infante" Messenger (the one we'll take off stroller & carry on lines, shows, etc... 2 diapers, wipes, bottle of water, mini-camcorder, line toys/ distractors, paper towels, maps, 1-2 snacks)

Bag3- Yellow & Black Gym Bag (large bag that hangs on stroller & stays there... several diapers, more wipes, more snacks, more water, extra clothing, DD light hoodie, flip flops, first aid (and headache stuff), spare battery, towel, personal fans, my DH and DD's pin lanyards- I know they won't wear them all day, ponchos...)

I've thought about reducing this, but honestly, I just don't know how. I mean even to take DD to Publix these days, I need a HUGE Coach crossbody tote! :rotfl2:

Also, not one person in the world (except me) believes I should keep the PH option on my tickets, but........... I hate feeling trapped. :confused3

Anyway... I'm about to go home, so I will post pics of "glittered envelopes" and the tweeked design for our shirts tonight!

P.S. Ladies! I finally got ink for my printer and iron-on transfers!!! Now, to just get these kids to leave school already!:thumbsup2

It will be nice to be at the parks so early in the day. One of the few things I have never done at Disney is make it to the rope drop. I had high hopes this past trip, but our boys are good sleepers and slept past nine most days.

I love the personalized envelopes. They are really cute. I am not very crafty, but I admire those of you who are.

Sounds like you have some fun days planned. On Animal Kingdom day, make sure you visit the Boneyard with Cameran. Carter had the best time running around there. Carter also liked the little playground in Toon Town, but I am not sure how long that will be there.

In regards to the Park Hoppers, I would definitely keep them. Especially with your daughter, you need the flexibility. You just never know what will happen at any park on a given day. One day on our trip, we were going to the Hollywood Studios and there was a sudden outbreak of flies. It was really bad. It seemed like we couldn't breathe without inhaling them. We kept having to stop and shew them off the boys. Plus, it was really hot, so the flies seemed to stick to us. As soon as we figured out they were in the whole park, we left as fast as we could and went to another park, I think the Magic Kingdom.

I never feel comfortable with waiting to see if I need to upgrade the tickets later. Once I start the vacation without park hoppers, I feel compelled to see it through.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Tshirt designs!! :lovestruc

I understand Julie's reasons to skip park hopping and also the reasons to keep the hopping option. Even with a little one, if you don't mind paying the $52.00 extra for yours and DH's ticket, it does give you flexibility. Also, my personal feeling is that DHS is not really that exciting for pre-schoolers and it would be nice to be able to leave at lunch time and head to a park with better food and/or back to your resort for a pool break. We don't take mid-day pool breaks during our fall/winter trips, but we do in the Spring/Summer times. If you've hit everything you want to in the morning at one park (especially if you make rope drop) then you can rest at the resort and go back to another park. It does also offer you the option to leave a park if its just not working for you be it a sworm of flies (that's really awful...yuck!!:eek:)or annoying tour groups. Some days we park hop, some days we don't. It just depends on what's going on that day. However, whenever there is late magic hours at EPCOT, I can't resist. We all love that park so much. Late Magic at MK is just too late to matter. Since we'll only have Heidi with us this trip, our schedule will be much more relaxed and we'll take afternoon pool breaks.

Hi There!
I've been reading your PTR (and trying to decide if I should do one, you seem to be getting a lot of good advice...heaven knows I need about as much as I can get!!!) I'm planning on going in August for our 1st trip (just me & DH this time..before we bring our DD2!) I took the Park Hopper option and went back and forth whether or not to keep it. I decided to keep it, I'm in the same boat..I don't like feeling trapped! Besides, I know I'll be up for spending an entire day in one park, however DH may be another story! So I kept the Park Hoppers just in case!

Loved the mousekeeping idea! Now..if only I can get creative! :rolleyes1
Your little one is too cute! The more I plan for just the two of us, the more I'm getting anxious to plan the next trip to take her with! :)

Welcome KayBella!!

I think you should do a PTR- I will definitely subscribe!:surfweb:

Lord knows the more we read (and write), the faster trip time seems to be here. Everything these great gals have said to me so far has caused me to slow down for a while and just think. Remember, you can't take everyone's advice (because we all have different opinions), but it is awesome to hear real life experiences that others have had, that sometimes keep your "boat" from "going over the same fall." :laughing: How'ja like thatpirate: Pirates of the Caribbean reference...

28718_1201740622893_1809926131_374061_7258318_n.jpg

28718_1201740702895_1809926131_374062_383041_n.jpg

28718_1201740742896_1809926131_374063_4449672_n.jpg

Which one is your favorite? (BTW- I have yet to print even one of these onto a transfer yet-- fear of committment I guess:rotfl:

As promised, about the stroller....

Here it is
28718_1201751143156_1809926131_374082_6280849_n.jpg

Here's the bag my mom helped me get (to look good while hanging on the infamous stroller)
28718_1201750943151_1809926131_374081_2679524_n.jpg

Here's the story.

So, at this point, I think we all know how much reading I have been doing in preparation for this trip. Well, I was on Disney's "mom's panel" getting my daily fix on their helpful advice, and I stumbled upon some questions regarding the best stroller to take. Obviously, there were two HUGE criteria for the perfect "disney stroller" (which has now become the nickname at our house for the stroller pictured above). Those two criteria are 1) it must be lightweight, and 2) it must recline.

Well... I did a quick inventory of what we already have.

Stroller #1 Peg Perego (gorgeous, SUPER well-made, RECLINING, but OH GOD is it ever heavy!!!)
Stroller #2 Deluxe Umbrella (Babies-r-us special that is VERY light, but way too small for Cameran and doesn't recline.)

Solution? Shopping of course. Online shopping because I am lazy. So I find this beautiful (looking) stroller online- get this! at a HOME FURNISHING website- first red flag!!-- anyway, it was pretty, it was alluminum/ lightweight, it was reclining, it was CHEAP. Sold.

Problems with the "disney stroller" day one:
It comes in. I open the box... this stroller is in 10,000 pieces. fine. I build.
After I build it, I realize "wait, WAIT... it's not the same stroller that I bought. wait... WAIT... it's not even the same stroller pictured ON THE BOX!!! that's ok, it was cheap and I like this one better.

Problems with stroller day two:
We take it for our first test drive. We gain tons of muscles in our right forearms. Why? Well because it pulls HARD to the left, so you have to compensate. It's ok. I like muscles.

but I found a huge dent.

and the left rear wheel is extrememly wobbly.

Problems with stroller COMPANY day one:
I send an email asking for a replacement wheel. I get an email right back asking "what's your complaint with the stroller, maam?"

Whaaaat?!

I send an email back stating all previously mentioned issues and reiterate that I JUST WANT A NEW WHEEL.

Problems with stroller company day two:
CEO of company emails me back and says "of coarse we will have to charge you $19 for the wheel and $12.95 shipping..." I respond "with all due respect, sir, I would not phathom paying you $31.95 to replace a defective wheel on an inferior stroller, especially when I paid $44 for the whole stroller! Furthermore, sir, the word is "course," it's "of course;" the word you used is "coarse" which means ROUGH, which consequently is the word I would use to describe the kind of time you will have trying to ever sell another product to me, or anyone else I know. Have a nice day." :snooty:

Thursday 8/5:beach:
RESORT DAY! (or MK)

EMH 8am-9MK
EMH 9pm-12amEPCOT

How we'll get there and back (if we go)
BOAT

What to do at night
RESORT-EWP935
or Illuminations at Epcot.

Friday 8/6
Hollywood Studios

EMH till 2amMK
EMH 8am-9HS

50’s Prime Time Café
11:10 AM (L)

Raglan Road [DT Dis.-W]
6:30 PM (D)

Not to be missed:
Playhouse Disney
Little Mermaid
Toy Story
Rocking Roller Coaster (for Dad)
Block Party

FASTPASS: Toy Story, RRC

How we'll get there and back:
I'm driving my car

What to do at night:
sleep.

Saturday 8/7
Magic Kingdom

Day of check out :sad:

Chef Mickey’s @ Contemp.:mickeyjum
10:30AM (B)

We will pack up the car, then take the boat over and back.
We'll probably leave right after dinner and be home (1-hour drive remember) by Cami's bedtime.

Oh My Gosh! You're stroller story!! You told him! Did you ever get a new wheel or your money back? Did you complain to the Better Business Bureau? Its funny, my 2 requirements for a Disney stroller, is lightweight and has a decent basket underneath. I like a recline too. I totally swear the very best Disney stroller we've ever had (and we've had many) is the one we bought in the giftshop at the back entrance to EPCOT. They sell them pretty much in every park. It has a lightweight aluminum frame, a basket undernear, is super easy to fold and reclines plus, it had a cup holder until the airline broke it off!! Its got a red seat and black trim. You see them all over the park. It was $50 which seems a little high priced for an "umbrella" type stroller, but it is well made and worth the $50 for sure. My daughter will be 8 in July, but she's so tiny she still fits in it (she weighs 38.6 pounds). Although, I doubt DH will let me bring it. So, if he says no, he's the one who has to carry the sleeping Heidi.

A funny stroller story. In 1990 when we took our first Disney trip as a family, our oldest was about Cami's age. We brought our big heavy Graco Broughham stroller. We had no idea what the stroller protocol was. We bought a bike lock and locked our stroller to trees and/or fences! After several cast members told us several times that you can't do this, you have to park at stroller parking... we gave in and tried it. We just were so NOT used to leaving our personal belongings unattended. And they move your stroller to keep the grouping together as people remove theirs, so it took some getting used to. I can't even imagine doing that now! How embarrassing! :sad2: We had done probably zero preparation for that trip. We packed our bags and headed for Orlando. We had no hotel (we stayed at our cast member friends house), we had no tickets (cast member friend got us in early in the morning when he reported to work). Hey! there pretty much was no internet like there is today. So, I don't think I knew ANYTHING other than my few memories of my childhood and one college trip. Can you even imagine doing a Disney trip like that now?!:scared1:

Mindy-

Never got a new wheel. Never got any money back. But... we do have the strongest forearms in Florida! :rotfl2:

um. I actually considered the bike lock thing. :lmao: thank God for mom's panel daily reads... I now know this is not necessary. Besides, if anyone steals my stroller..........they'll bring it back. (they don't have the forearm strength) :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter