• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Standing Desk

happybaker

Mouseketeer
Does anyone use a standing desk at work? Any recommendations? I'm getting overwhelmed with reviews online.

I do think I want one with a dual motor and the ability to preset heights. Work is buying so no real price limit, but I'd like to keep it reasonable.

My only suggestion is to make sure it is the entire work surface that rises and not just something that sits on the desk top. We got some that basically the monitors and keyboard sat on but nothing else. It was impossible to really do anything. I don't see anyone using them anymore.

I have one from IKEA and will have one at work after our current headquarters is renovated. I didn't want one that went up and down. I have a bar height stool for when I want to sit which is rare. At the office I'll also have a few bar height seats for any in-office meetings.

DH has had his for about a month. He went larger in both width and depth than his previous set up (he went from a 30 x 60 to a 36 x 70) and it is working out perfectly since he can rest his forearms on the desk while standing. Some components that were on the floor have moved to the desktop so there didn't need to be a lot of cord slack to accommodate the raising and lowering. He has a 4 monitor set up. I think he's standing for about 1/3 of his day.

He found his at a local office supply resale store (a steel case), but was eyeing flexispot. Price was a consideration since we were paying for it.

Does anyone use a standing desk at work? Any recommendations? I'm getting overwhelmed with reviews online.

I do think I want one with a dual motor and the ability to preset heights. Work is buying so no real price limit, but I'd like to keep it reasonable.
I've had a varydesk for years and like it.

Have seen a few where I work. Never used one but I know some others like them. I guess if you like to stand instead of sit (or have some medical issue) then perhaps they are right for you. I prefer to sit while working on my PC or talking on the phone. Unless you are going to be adjusting it a lot, I don't see the benefit of having it motorized. Seems like something you would set in the position you prefer once and then it stays at that height.

Probably best to go to an office supply store and see which one is best suited for how you plan to use it. Online reviews for most products are all over the map and may not consider the factors you find most important.

DH had an UPLIFT at a job and got one for home, picked real wood and is very happy but there is a wide range in less expensive pricing. It is very nice for a tough back day because standing is always an option, some people prefer it this way. Even if sitting not standing the fact it is adjustable seems very useful so you can move it up and down with a chair.

Will this be your ONLY desk ?
We have both options, I could not use it for 7.5 hours, but do aim for half the day, and enjoy it. It takes a while to get used to.

Last edited:
My only suggestion is to make sure it is the entire work surface that rises and not just something that sits on the desk top. We got some that basically the monitors and keyboard sat on but nothing else. It was impossible to really do anything. I don't see anyone using them anymore.
Yeah, that's what I've had for a few years and it's worthless to me. I have absolutely no room for papers or files.

Thanks all. I'd really like to get away from sitting all day and stand for part of it. I have the adjustable platform things you can put on your desk top, but it doesn't work for me.

I've looked at the sit/stand desks and something stand-height only with a taller chair/stool like @GreatLakes mentioned.

I guess I really need to go out and look at some in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter