Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously take with a grain of salt, but early reactions to 'Rise' seem pretty positive ... not the best Star Wars film but it sounds like it may be a satisfying conclusion ...

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-first-reactions
I've said it before, but while the 'The Last Jedi' was a fun sci-fi fantasy film, it was an extremely weak Star Wars film in the context of the overall 3rd trilogy and 9 part saga. Maybe as the start of a new story, but it was very odd story telling for the middle of a trilogy. It didn't ruin Star Wars for me, but I was not a fan.

And watching Rogue One a couple more times as part of TNT's marathon ... it still hold up great showing that you can make some amazing side story films ... yet we got 'The Last Jedi' as part of the main saga :confused3
Rogue One is so good.

Just a note that my intention is to keep this thread spoiler free for now

once the movie opens wide would people prefer I change the title of this thread to indicate it now contains spoilers or start a new thread that has spoilers?

once the movie opens wide would people prefer I change the title of this thread to indicate it now contains spoilers or start a new thread that has spoilers?

I'd prefer to just turn this thread on for spoilers instead of keeping up with two separate threads.

How about we agree to use this thread but use spoiler tags to cover them up for a while?

Man, you guys really read A LOT into those interviews. Kathleen Kennedy only said in that interview that they would move "beyond trilogies" saying “I think it gives us a more open-ended view of storytelling and doesn’t lock us into this three-act structure,” she said. “We’re not going to have some finite number and fit it into a box. We’re really going to let the story dictate that.”

That's not saying they won't do a trilogy, just that they won't necessarily lock into that. Iger's comments don't really reflect on that much - with him only saying that they don't yet know what form future stories will take. It seems like a lot of people hear what they want to hear.

Man, you guys really read A LOT into those interviews. Kathleen Kennedy only said in that interview that they would move "beyond trilogies" saying “I think it gives us a more open-ended view of storytelling and doesn’t lock us into this three-act structure,” she said. “We’re not going to have some finite number and fit it into a box. We’re really going to let the story dictate that.”

That's not saying they won't do a trilogy, just that they won't necessarily lock into that. Iger's comments don't really reflect on that much - with him only saying that they don't yet know what form future stories will take. It seems like a lot of people hear what they want to hear.
Iger would not have made a comment at all on it unless he felt a need to correct what Kennedy said.

Think what you want, but it isn't a coincidence that Jon Favreau is running the first Disney+ Star Wars show and the only thing confirmed with the future of Star Wars movies is that Feige is producing a movie. To me at least that is a sign that Iger has no faith in Kennedy's creative vision at Lucasfilm. If he did Iger wouldn't be turning to the guy responsible for the MCU and that guy's buddy who just happens to be one of Disney's most successful directors/producers. Those guys are brought in to set the vision. They aren't brought in to implement Kennedy's ideas.

Last edited:
I think this is Iger not ruling anything out. They aren’t going to focus on trilogies but if the opportunity presents itself when they get there why not. This is a business in making money if the money is there take it.

I agree with you - but does play into some of the optics the media has put out there of her not being the right person to lead Star Wars, not being in sync with Iger and others, etc.

Basically, if episode IX underperforms this is just more ammunition to remover her. If it goes well, then she is likely fine

Iger would not have made a comment at all on it unless he felt a need to correct what Kennedy said.

The article doesn't quote the question as asked, but it was likely about not doing any more trilogies - which Kennedy DIDN'T say they were not - so the answer is more likely to correct the person asking the question. Kennedy only said that they weren't sure what they would do but that they would not be restricted to the trilogy structure. There is nothing here that indicates anything otherwise.

As for will Kathleen Kennedy continue, I am not age discriminating (as I am 65 myself) but Ms Kennedy is currently 66 year old. So the question of if she will continue as head of Lucas Films is an interesting one. Since the next Star Wars Film is stated by Igor to be approx. 3 years out, there is a good possibility she will not be in charge of Lucas Film at that time. Time waits for no one (even Tom Brady). The good news for me is that there seems to be several that are capable of taking up the Mantle-like Jon Favreau (doubt it will be Feige as why deduct from a highly profitable property as Marvel).

I'm keeping my expectations low. I'm hoping that I come out surprised and in a pleasant way. There is an excellent podcast that I was listening to about Villans and it's Called Imaginary Worlds. They discuss Darth Vader and Kylo Ren. Very interesting. But there are spoilers just not for the Rise of Skywalker

John Campea didn’t like Star Wars. He said he thinks a lot of people are going to like it but he’s not one of them. Oh well I’m still excited for it.

I'm still excited as well, but reviews are starting to come in and they're pretty mixed. Right now the film is tracking 58% on Rotten Tomatoes which may be the lowest I've seen a Star Wars film score even this early.

EDIT: I've been reading some of the early reviews, and as a warning, some of the 'spoiler-free' review are still peppered with cameo and other smaller spoilers

Last edited:
Yes, apparently the new movie is a mess, plot wise...and does very little character work for any character.

That said, apparently, it does provide an ending and does have tons and tons and tons of action sequences, prettily shot. So, it could be better...and it could be worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter