Step By Step - How to Add Names to an Existing Contract (Gratuitous Transfer)

Has anyone used a PO box or c/o as their address for the new deed? My deed from my direct purchase does not include my actual address it states, "whose address is, for the purposes of this deed, c/o DVD... "

I kind of like that my personal information isn't readily available right there on the deed but it appears (in looking at other transfers) that everyone is using their actual address.

I'd like thank the original poster Kaufeegurl for all the information. It helped me and I'd like to contribute with an update.

After reading thru the complete thread, I was still a bit unsure of the process.

After speaking with member services, and OCC the process seems to have been streamlined.
Here's my Do-it yourself recommendation:

1. Using the current deed as a template, make a new deed making the required changes to Grantor and Grantee, sign, witness and notarize the deed. For a gratuitous transfer the OCC told me to write "Consideration $10" in the upper left hand corner of the deed.
2. Mail the deed to the OCC with the appropriate fee. I would suggest checking on their website first. (I overnighted mine to the address provided in post #1 and provided a self-addressed envelope to return the deed.
3. Email a copy of the updated deed to the administrative dept of member services. Cover letter is optional, they will record the ownership interest per the deed. There's no form to send in, which I thought was odd, but that was what member services said. Then DVC will send the Grantees a membership package.

I want to thank Kaufeegurl again for the original post or I might not have attempted this without using a title company

5/15 I overnighted my deed to the OCC today and will edit and update my timeline fyi
5/16 Deed delivered to OCC
5/18 Deed recorded
5/18 Emailed DVC Administration Dept to request membership change
6/8 Received my welcome home email and activation code and was able to set up the membership... Points should arrive in10-15 days per the email

Last edited:
I'm just
I'd like thank the original poster Kaufeegurl for all the information. It helped me and I'd like to contribute with an update.

After reading thru the complete thread, I was still a bit unsure of the process.

After speaking with member services, and OCC the process seems to have been streamlined.

1. Using the current deed as a template, make a new deed making the required changes to Grantor and Grantee, sign, witness and notarize the deed. For a gratuitous transfer the OCC told me to write "Consideration $10" in the upper left hand corner of the deed.
2. Mail the deed to the OCC with the appropriate fee. I would suggest checking on their website first. (I overnighted mine to the address provided in post #1 and provided a self-addressed envelope to return the deed.
3. Email a copy of the updated deed to the administrative dept of member services. Cover letter is optional, they will record the ownership interest per the deed. There's no form to send in, which I thought was odd, but that was what member services said. Then DVC will send the Grantees a membership package.

I want to thank Kaufeegurl again for the original post or I might not have attempted this without using a title company

5/15 I overnighted my deed to the OCC today and will edit and update my timeline fyi
5/16 Deed delivered to OCC at 3:45PM
I'm just 1 step ahead of you. We submitted May 3 to DVC and have not heard back. We are waiting to sign a DLV contract until our daughter is added. I will let you know when ours is updated.

Thanks
I love how we're able to share and learn from each other on here
How long did the OCC take to record your deed?

Has anyone added a name to their HHI contract? I’m curious how long this could take? OCC is already processing that contract but nothing is happening at Beaufort County.

Hi everyone and thanks for this great guide. I’ve done this once before removing my dad from my parents joint membership after he passed and adding myself (back in 2017). Now my mom wants off the 2 deeds we have remaining, leaving just me. I have a quick question I’m hoping someone can answer. Since both my mom and I are on the deeds currently, do we both have to sign the new deeds in front of the notary, or just one of us? Last time it was just her as the sole grantor.

Thanks!
Bill

Hi everyone and thanks for this great guide. I’ve done this once before removing my dad from my parents joint membership after he passed and adding myself (back in 2017). Now my mom wants off the 2 deeds we have remaining, leaving just me. I have a quick question I’m hoping someone can answer. Since both my mom and I are on the deeds currently, do we both have to sign the new deeds in front of the notary, or just one of us? Last time it was just her as the sole grantor.

Thanks!
Bill
You are both grantors so you both must sign before the notary

5/18 Deed recorded
Have you received your membership package from DVC yet? I’m trying to figure out how long the last step normally takes.

Have you received your membership package from DVC yet? I’m trying to figure out how long the last step normally takes.
I'm still waiting and they said when i called that it takes a week or 2 and they contact by email only. There should be a better way to handle

I'm still waiting and they said when i called that it takes a week or 2 and they contact by email only. There should be a better way to handle
I had to send 4 emails before I could get someone to call me back, to tell me the deeds are incorrect. They said they replied to my emails but they bounced back.

I had to send 4 emails before I could get someone to call me back, to tell me the deeds are incorrect. They said they replied to my emails but they bounced back.
I'm still waiting since 5/18.... I think I'll email them again. They will not put my call thru to find anything out from admin dept. of member services.

5/18 Deed recorded
6/8 Received my welcome home email and activation code and was able to set up the membership... Points should arrive in10-15 days per the email
Thank you for this update,,we are just looking at adding wife to our contracts. Are you saying we dont need to get the waiver of ROFR from Disney 1st now? This would speed up things, especially since we are in |Canada. TIA

Thank you for this update,,we are just looking at adding wife to our contracts. Are you saying we dont need to get the waiver of ROFR from Disney 1st now? This would speed up things, especially since we are in |Canada. TIA
Correct, no form letter (ROFR waiver) needed from Disney to get started.

I can confirm @DaveNan's statement, based on recent personal experience. No ROFR needed if it's a gratuitous transfer, including adding someone as an owner.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread! I added my adult daughter to both my SSR contract and my HHI contract. All in all it took a couple months but that was due to SC not liking my deed wording (even though I copied it verbatim from my original deed and multiple other DVC deeds that I pulled as examples) and then I had to file the deeds twice because I accidentally left my husband and myself off as Grantees on the original filings (so I essentially gave everything to my daughter, which wasn't my intentions at all.) LOL!

DVC told me what I needed to do to correct it but I will say getting in touch with them is PAINFUL. There's no way to reach member administration by phone and for whatever reason their emails to me bounce back. They finally ended up calling me after me sending multiple emails to them requesting me to call them.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread! I added my adult daughter to both my SSR contract and my HHI contract. All in all it took a couple months but that was due to SC not liking my deed wording (even though I copied it verbatim from my original deed and multiple other DVC deeds that I pulled as examples) and then I had to file the deeds twice because I accidentally left my husband and myself off as Grantees on the original filings (so I essentially gave everything to my daughter, which wasn't my intentions at all.) LOL!

DVC told me what I needed to do to correct it but I will say getting in touch with them is PAINFUL. There's no way to reach member administration by phone and for whatever reason their emails to me bounce back. They finally ended up calling me after me sending multiple emails to them requesting me to call them.
I’m glad you were finally successful, and I’m also glad we used a company to do ours!

I just started the proces with LT transfers to add my husband to the deed. I felt better going with a company than doing it alone. wonder how long its going to take.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter