Stikine Icecap

serrem2

Earning My Ears
Disney seems to have replaced Dawes Glacier with Stikine Icecap on many of its summer 2023 itineraries. Does anyone have a preference, and if so, what are the benefits/drawbacks of each?

I would assume that Disney is scheduling locations that they think will be the best fit. This could be areas where they think they will be the least amount of ice so that the ship can move in and out easily, areas that they think of more natural beauty, or there may be something to do with permits in the various glacier areas.

There’s not much information about this area in relation to cruising. I found this photo.

DBB0498A-29D4-437F-97C1-D95BAF2304CB.jpeg

I’ve learned this tonight: the Dawes Glacier seems to be part of the Stikine Icefield / Ice Cap. The Dawes Glacier is receding fairly rapidly.

Combined with this and what @dcassetta said, they may be trying a new location to provide a better experience for the guests. This different location seems to offer a rather impressive view, but maybe not the close-up experience many of us are used to in glacier viewing.

Hopefully, DCL will provide more promotional information regarding this location.

I've read speculation in another thread (or maybe it was a Facebook group) that DCL is likely trying to manage guest expectations. Many cruises with Dawes Glacier on the itinerary end up going elsewhere (equally beautiful glacier areas) due to conditions. So the more broad labeling gives more wiggle room.

I've read speculation in another thread (or maybe it was a Facebook group) that DCL is likely trying to manage guest expectations. Many cruises with Dawes Glacier on the itinerary end up going elsewhere (equally beautiful glacier areas) due to conditions. So the more broad labeling gives more wiggle room.
Sawyer Glacier use to be the "go to" and then it was closed so often due to ice that DCL switched to Dawes in 2019. As you said, being less definitive gives them more options depending on what is available for viewing. Our first DCL AK cruise in 2012 had Sawyer on the Itinerary, but we ended up going to Dawes.

EDIT: I just checked and on our 2015 cruise we did Sawyer

Last edited:

Our June cruise originally listed Dawes glacier but now has Stikine on the website.

Does anyone know how long DCL spends during this day? Is the glacier viewable most of the day or does it do a pass through that lasts only a few hours? Thanks.

On our Alaska trip last September (the last of the season) we were within view of the glacier for probably five hours, and really close (maybe 200 yards) for about an hour.IMG_1323.jpg

Also, the trip up the fjord, even before you can see the glacier, is spectacular and takes up most of the day.

Just remember to dress for very cold weather, because you'll want to stay outside as long as possible.

Thank you. @serrem2

Do you or anyone else recall what time of day you get closer to the glacier - is it later in the afternoon or earlier than that?

We have a Palo Brunch booked for 10 am that day so trying to figure out if that needs to be adjusted or not. Any info is helpful.

Thanks.

I checked the time on the photo I uploaded. It was 4:20 PM. We had been up close to the glacier for about 20 minutes at that time, and remained there for about another 15. We had a long relaxed lunch that day in one of the main dining rooms, so we didn't get out on deck to watch the scenery until about 1:30. We watched most of the voyage up the fjord from deck 4 because there was intermittent rain, it was much less crowded, and it was easy to duck back into the ship to warm up.

Our timing may have been later than normal that day because a passenger had to be evacuated that morning to a Coast Guard boat near Juneau.

I think you'll have probably have plenty of time after a 10:00 Palo brunch to view the trip up the fjord and the glacier. Worst case, you'll probably get a great view from Palo!

Thank you. @serrem2

Do you or anyone else recall what time of day you get closer to the glacier - is it later in the afternoon or earlier than that?

We have a Palo Brunch booked for 10 am that day so trying to figure out if that needs to be adjusted or not. Any info is helpful.

Thanks.
You will be fine. We did Alaska in 2016. At 10am they are still cruising to their destination. I think they didn't reach the fjord entrance until around Noon and it takes a couple hours at low speed to get to the glacier after that. I remember they had 2 glacier exploration excursions and 1 met at 12ish and the other at 3ish? One going into the fjord and one out.

We did Alaska last year in August and I just checked my pictures. The first one of the glacier was at 2:30 pm and the last one at 3:30 pm. The whole day sailing was through beautiful scenery so a Palo reservation to watch the scenery from up there should be a nice way to start glacier day.

did you guys get as close to the glacier as the excursion boat that day?
Yes. There were complaints from some of the people who hat paid $400 for the excursion boats that they weren't getting anything of extra value for the price.

I don't know why we were able to get as close to the glacier as we did that day. Possibly because it was mid September and there may have been fewer dangerous icebergs to avoid. We did see (and hear) several instances of calving

did you guys get as close to the glacier as the excursion boat that day?
It’s really going to depend on when you’re there - we went in June and it definitely would have been worth it to do the excursion if getting close to the glacier is important to you. The ship had to stop pretty far out because of icebergs and seal pups. We could still see it, but the excursion boats got much MUCH closer than the ship did.

It’s really going to depend on when you’re there - we went in June and it definitely would have been worth it to do the excursion if getting close to the glacier is important to you. The ship had to stop pretty far out because of icebergs and seal pups. We could still see it, but the excursion boats got much MUCH closer than the ship did.
We are going mid-September. I think it's the last cruise Disney does this year for Alaska.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter