Stolen funds!!

I've never reaf of peoples funds being drained because someone at Disney stole the info off the card. I think it's being exaggerated. The same could happeb when any restaurant all over the country takes your credit card.

I agree 100%. I’ve never had card numbers stolen from a CM and it’s likely a very rare occurrence - if at all. I think we were just flagging that technically it can happen. For instance receipts do show remaining balance on card. Disney allows up to $1K stored on each card. For one bad apple that can be a lot of money. But again, I definitely don’t think it’s common. On a similar note it’s good reminder not to leave gift cards in hotel rooms unless locked up. Need to be treated like cash.

With credit cards there are many levels of consumer protection (because people unfortunately do steal the numbers). Whereas w Disney gift cards it’s really at Disney’s discretion to research and re-fund card. The OP posted today that they are researching the issue. At least Disney is trying!

A company I worked for did not assist w gift card theft. They were professional in pointing people to their warning statements about not storing cards long term online, creating strong passwords, treating as cash, etc but underneath that partyline it was basically “too bad, so sad.”

Well hold onto your seat because I'm gonna give you a whole other perspective!

The website is designed to store your cards. *DIS World Shatters* Straight from the Mouse's mouth (the FAQs on the disney gift card website):

Why should I create a DisneyGiftCard.com account?

Creating a Disney account enables you to manage up to 6 cards under My Cards on DisneyGiftCard.com. You will be able to check your balance, view recent transaction history and transfer balances between eligible cards.
The website is made for you to manage your cards in one place, see what's happening with your gift cards, see transactions, see your current balances, etc. Otherwise THEY WOULDN'T ALLOW YOU TO STORE CARDS ON IT :eek: They would just have a check balance and transfer feature, storing your cards takes effort on Disney's part in both storage space and IT management.

DisneyGiftCard.com is not a mobile wallet and should not be considered as such. Be sure to keep your physical and digital Disney Gift Cards with you as they will be required to make any purchases.

What is a "mobile wallet"? Apparently THAT is what we need to review here. A mobile wallet literally processes a payment, or at a minimum shows a code that will allow a transaction to conclude (like an airplane boarding pass). The warning about it not being a mobile wallet is exactly what it says. You cannot use the website to complete a transaction. It won't give you a code to scan, it won't process a payment. If you upload your balance and then destroy your card you will not be able to pay with disneygiftcard.com. Disney is just pointing out the obvious because you know someone uploaded to the website and then stood there in the store saying "but I don't have the card anymore, I put in on the website".

Personally I think the actual takeaway here should be
  • make sure your passwords are secure (meaning don't use the same pw anywhere- learn to love pw managers folks!)
  • make sure 2 factor authentication is enabled on your email (it should be enabled everywhere but if that's too much and you are using a different pw for everything that's your business- but please still use it on your email!
Thank you! I completely agree with all of this. Storing your cards is not only safe provided you use an appropriate password and two-factor authentication regime, it also helps protect the physical security of your gift cards in the event that one is lost or stolen, because now you have a record of all transactions in and out.

Everyone is jumping right to "OP was hacked," but isn't it equally or more likely that someone simply got access to the physical card and snapped a photo of the number on the back or spoofed the magnetic stripe?

Storing your cards is not only safe provided you use an appropriate password and two-factor authentication regime, it also helps protect the physical security of your gift cards in the event that one is lost or stolen, because now you have a record of all transactions in and out.

Everyone is jumping right to "OP was hacked," but isn't it equally or more likely that someone simply got access to the physical card and snapped a photo of the number on the back or spoofed the magnetic stripe?
OP said they store one card only on the site. It’s the card they consolidate everything to. Then they delete extra cards w zero balances. Theif added a card that wasn’t owned by OP to transfer funds from the card that was OPs and then deleted OP card off the site. Definitely they gained access to Disney account to essentially siphon the money out. Quote follows

“My card was no longer there but they left an unrelated card linked with $0 funds..nicknamed “work”. I always delete cards I consolidate with zero balance. That’s why I’m thinking someone hacked into my Disneygiftcard.com account.”

When I last logged into the site I’m getting 2 factor. In PP other people are reporting they are not.

A lot of us get the notification emails from Disney that someone logged into our account. OP said they didn’t receive that.

Not sure what’s going on with the inconsistency of the site’s security features, or could be different email programs allowing different emails through, or hacker deleting emails if they have access to that too.

I agree with you. I like the backup idea, but perhaps best not to store $1K cards with no fraud insurance/guarantee/protection features on Disney site. Maybe backup elsewhere.

Nothing new! This is from last Thursday, I haven’t emailed all week because I keep getting Thai same old response!! :

We apologize for any inconvenience. Your case is currently under review. We will let you know as soon as we have an update. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,
Disney Gift Card Guest Services

I am so sorry this happened to you. A similar thing happened to me in November over Black Friday weekend. I sincerely hope the situation gets resolved quickly and your money is recovered!

Last edited:
Where is this 2 step security process some posters have said. I havent been in years.
so making a new account. Is it safe to put your real name and real birth date?

Where is this 2 step security process some posters have said. I havent been in years.
so making a new account. Is it safe to put your real name and real birth date?
Agree. I get an email when I log in that there was a new sign-in on my account, but that's it.

I am freaking out. Someone stole the funds from my gift card. I had it linked in the Disney gift card website where I would transfer funds from smaller cards onto this main card. I had $785 on it and now it’s gone!! The only help I got was to email guest services. Then as I pressed the girl on the phone to give me more assistance she transferred me to shop Disney where they sent an alert to the gift card department to get in touch with me.
Transaction history shows the bulk of the money was spent at Disneyland resort. I’ve never been to Disneyland in my life. I’m really worried I won’t get this money back. I can’t believe this happened and now I just have to sit and wait for someone to get in touch with me!
Wow that’s scary. How would
That even happen?

Agree. I get an email when I log in that there was a new sign-in on my account, but that's it.
I think it’s random. Sometimes I’ve had to go thru a second step. Sometimes I haven’t. Or it might be based on whether I’m browsing privately or publicly?

Wow that’s scary. How would
That even happen?
They hacked into her Disney gift card account online and she had a card stored there with money on it. They added their own card to the online account, and transferred her money to their card. Then they used their card at Disneyland.

I keep emailing them asking for updates, an estimated resolution date, the chances of getting my money back, and to tell them i am willing to comply with any further proof or information that they need from me. Zero communication other than “we’ll email you when we have an update”
This is getting hopeless and I think I lost this money 😢
I don’t know who else to try to reach out to to help me. Any suggestions?

I keep emailing them asking for updates, an estimated resolution date, the chances of getting my money back, and to tell them i am willing to comply with any further proof or information that they need from me. Zero communication other than “we’ll email you when we have an update”
This is getting hopeless and I think I lost this money 😢
I don’t know who else to try to reach out to to help me. Any suggestions?
It took about a month for them to resolve my situation.

Can you tell me about your situation? How much money did they steal, how did they do it, and did Disney reimburse you?
They hacked my email, my Target acct, and my Disney Gift Card site. I had one card stored on my account overnight with $100 on it. In the morning the card had $0 on it. During the middle of the night they loaded up their own card and transferred the funds. I did receive the emails showing the transactions (add/transfer/delete) but it was the middle of the night!
I could explain exactly what happened to Disney, giving them the emails, giving them the receipts for the stolen funds, everything they could possibly want to prove that I was the owner of the card. Unfortunately Disney's responce was 'once the stolen money was spent there was nothing they could do about it.'
I hope your ending is much different then mine was. 🙏

Op, I’m so sorry this happened to you. I hope you get your money back.

Can this happen if you are just checking the balance on a card using the check balance option?

Op, I’m so sorry this happened to you. I hope you get your money back.

Can this happen if you are just checking the balance on a card using the check balance option?
I don't even think you need to log in to you account to check a balance so it shouldn't be possible.

They hacked my email, my Target acct, and my Disney Gift Card site. I had one card stored on my account overnight with $100 on it. In the morning the card had $0 on it. During the middle of the night they loaded up their own card and transferred the funds. I did receive the emails showing the transactions (add/transfer/delete) but it was the middle of the night!
I could explain exactly what happened to Disney, giving them the emails, giving them the receipts for the stolen funds, everything they could possibly want to prove that I was the owner of the card. Unfortunately Disney's responce was 'once the stolen money was spent there was nothing they could do about it.'
I hope your ending is much different then mine was. 🙏
I’m sorry that happened to you…these hackers are something else!! What losers!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter