Stolen funds!!

I’m sorry that happened to you…these hackers are something else!! What losers!!
I take it as my punishment for using the same password for multiple accounts knowing FULL WELL I shouldn't be doing that. I am now a firm believer and user of a Password Manager. A pain to enter all your accounts (took weeks to do) but what a relief knowing my passwords are unique, 12 - 20 characters longs, and I don't have to remember any of them! I'm still not comfortable using my email for gift card delivery. I order gift cards in the mail, not e-cards. And as soon as I have a gift card with the max of $1000 on it, I call Disney and apply it to my reservation. That way the funds can't be stolen. As for my Target account, the thief told Target they didn't receive certain items, and I received the refund because they were purchased with my Target debit card. That's a laugh! Of course I immediately called my bank and Target about the fraud.

I encourage anyone to check the website https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your emails or phone numbers have been included in a data breach. I now know that I was in a data breach between 3 and 5 years ago. It could take that long for your info to be sold and used. I hope everyone is more security conscience than me and would know enough to change your passwords regularly. I didn't do that.

I did not like it when Disney combined all accounts into one. I always had a very secure password on the Disney Gift Card site, but I can't really blame them because I broke the cardinal rule concerning passwords. I knew better than to use the same password on multiple sites and did it anyway.

I sincerely hope Disney comes thru for you! I know how heartbreaking and nerve wracking the situation is. I emailed them weekly asking for a status. Most of the time the response was We're Looking Into It. I don't know if filing a police report and calling your home owners insurance company or renters insurance company might help?

Please keep up updated with what happens.

I did not like it when Disney combined all accounts into one. I always had a very secure password on the Disney Gift Card site, but I can't really blame them because I broke the cardinal rule concerning passwords. I knew better than to use the same password on multiple sites and did it anyway.
I agree. Now they only need one password to access D+, Disneyworld.com, and Disney shopping. I would say to never leave a credit card on your account but you have to have one on file to book Disney ADRs. My advice is to use a little-used cc and keep it locked. Remember to unlock it before you travel so they don't cancel you hotel booking.

On Panera, I had left a cc on file so the thieves used my info from another site that had been hacked before and ordered breakfast. Luckily I saw the email notifying me of a phone number change so I immediately deleted cc and changed my password and email on that account. They tried to get lunch later (got a notification to reset my password...) but since everything had already been deleted/changed they weren't able to mobile order.

I went through all of my accounts and changed emails, passwords and deleted any cc's on file. I still get an occasional email in the previously hacked account asking me to reset my BestBuy password, but I no longer use that hacked email. They are relentless.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
Disney recovered my stolen gift card balance! All but $2, lol. When I asked about the slight difference they said it was “a small transaction they couldn’t recover”…I’m not complaining though, I’m so happy they got me $782 back!! It took 6 weeks. I don’t think they gave it back because of kindness either, I think they really dug deep and found who stole it.
The takeaway from all this is don’t leave your cards on that website!!! Spread the word!

UPDATE:
Disney recovered my stolen gift card balance! All but $2, lol. When I asked about the slight difference they said it was “a small transaction they couldn’t recover”…I’m not complaining though, I’m so happy they got me $782 back!! It took 6 weeks. I don’t think they gave it back because of kindness either, I think they really dug deep and found who stole it.
The takeaway from all this is don’t leave your cards on that website!!! Spread the word!
In all honesty… Wow! I am so happy for you, and in all reality I wasn’t expecting a positive outcome and happy ending. Put those funds to good use and plan something extra special in appreciation!! And a big thumbs up to Disney for working so hard to make it right for you!

UPDATE:
I'm so happy for you!

Reactions: ;-)
UPDATE:
Fantastic news ! I'm so glad you got it back !!!

The takeaway from all this is don’t leave your cards on that website!!!
There's no way to spend money from the website. There's no way to get the full card number from the website. Someone probably stole the code before you bought the card.

There's no way to spend money from the website. There's no way to get the full card number from the website. Someone probably stole the code before you bought the card.

Except that they explained the person transferred thr balance from the card left on the site to one the thief added. That can be done without having the full card number.

I’ve used that card in WDW since 2019 and always reloaded money onto it. The balance from my gift card was transferred onto another card. Someone definitely hacked into my account, this is why I’m saying don’t leave your cards on there because you’re giving a hacker the opportunity to steal your funds!

UPDATE:
So happy for you!!

Wow!! Congratulations on having your funds recovered!!! Thanks for the PSA as well.

What a sketchy situation, super happy it was resolved for you.

Can I ask why is it that someone would want to use this website? I get cards with my rewards and then they just sit there on the card until I spend, is there a benefit I don't see?

Can I ask why is it that someone would want to use this website? I get cards with my rewards and then they just sit there on the card until I spend, is there a benefit I don't see?

It allows people to consolidate cards, up to $1000. That way you can purchase smaller cards throughout the year to spread the cost out over time.
If you were, for example, to pay off a trip, you can only use so many cards. A stack of $25’s would do you no good.
I do this all the time. Here and there I pick up a $25. When I have so many I’ll combine them.

It allows people to consolidate cards, up to $1000. That way you can purchase smaller cards throughout the year to spread the cost out over time.
If you were, for example, to pay off a trip, you can only use so many cards. A stack of $25’s would do you no good.
I do this all the time. Here and there I pick up a $25. When I have so many I’ll combine them.
Ohhh, so the number of cards used is limited. That's a weird policy of them since a person could collect dozens of little cards as gifts and all as you save up so I get why it's done, whole issue would be solved if they simply didn't limit the number of cards used in purchases. Like if they make them they should accept them as is, how tough can it be to have bigger dropdowns for input?

Ohhh, so the number of cards used is limited. That's a weird policy of them since a person could collect dozens of little cards as gifts and all as you save up so I get why it's done, whole issue would be solved if they simply didn't limit the number of cards used in purchases. Like if they make them they should accept them as is, how tough can it be to have bigger dropdowns for input?

Not everyone is paying at a website. I use a Disney TA and I always combine my gift cards so that I only have to give her 2 or 3 strings of numbers rather than 20. She doesn't have a way to pay through her website so I try to reduce the amount of information I have to read to her over the phone.

UPDATE:
I'm SOOOO happy for you. I can't even fathom how instantly sick you were when you discovered the money was gone. I LOVE a happy ending🪄

As others mentioned you can consolidate your cards which is also very beneficial if some are electronic. You can consolidate e-gift cards to a hard card to make it easier to use when paying in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter