Stop using flash!

Disney has to control it. Stop the ride, send a CM out, take the device, and tell them they can exit with it or pick it up at Guest Services.

The simply answer is that you can't fix stupid. People have no clue how horrible flash pictures turn out unless done by professionals in perfect situations.

Exactly. Enjoy those washed out pics of the curved Eiffel Tower :thumbsup2

This. As someone who enjoys photography as a hobby, I very much love it when I get my OWN shots of the fireworks, because I know I took them. If I'm not using the flash (which would be stupid with fireworks anyway), then nobody else should be worrying about what I'm doing, and should be minding their own selves.

I don't take ride photos usually, and if I do, I use the night shot function on my camera because I want accurate photos, not a washed out version because the flash killed the effects.

Believe it or not, there ARE some of us who take photos and actually know how to do so appropriately.

Then again, I don't usually use my phone in place of a real camera because I would rather have the nicer photos my camera can produce.

And this thread is not directed toward you since you obviously know to turn off your flash. Those that are encouraging people to enjoy the now are just upset because the majority of people taking pictures/videos are NOT turning off their flash. They are not people who enjoy photography as a hobby; they're just doing what they do everyday with their phones with no regard to others or what a lighted screen/flash does to distract from the actual ride.

Always amazes me when I see people taking pictures/video of the castle with their flash on. Like their light is somehow bright enough to light up an already lit up castle.

The people that use flash to take pictures of things that don't need flash I picture as the same people who drive in the rain with their hazard lights on.

One hundred times this. I live in the Washington, DC area and when we're at the zoo or one of the museums and people are holding other people up to take a picture of, I don't know, a zebra, I just want to say, "Let me tell you about a secret website that will show you millions of pictures of zebras in about .1 seconds. In fact, thousands of pictures of this very zebra, and most better than the picture you're taking! It's called...shh... google images....."

If your kid or family is in the picture, I get it, but do you need to take a picture of just the Washington Monument?!?!
Taking photos isn't just a matter of trying to get the perfect shot. It's also the memory creation process. Having a photo from the very perspective you saw whatever it is. That evokes much more memory recall than looking at somebody else's photo online, because there is emotion and muscle memory tied to it from the photography process.

It isn't unusual for me to come home with literally hundreds to over a thousand images I've shot myself. I also will frequently look through my photos. Are they all great? Of course not. But occasionally I do get that breathtaking shot that makes all the extraneous photos worth it.

I know this thread is wasn't about people like myself photographing/documenting their trips, but when pp decided to make the comment about being in the moment, it became about pretty well everyone who takes photos.

I don't want someone else's stock photo. I want the shots that only I can/will take, which express my personal shooting style and creativity, and my own experience. You don't get that from google images. You get someone else's experience.

Always amazes me when I see people taking pictures/video of the castle with their flash on. Like their light is somehow bright enough to light up an already lit up castle.

The people that use flash to take pictures of things that don't need flash I picture as the same people who drive in the rain with their hazard lights on.
Meh, I used to have to do this with my old camera. It didn't have image stabilization and photos without the flash would come out blurry. With the flash they'd be clear and crisp and just a better overall image. So this I can totally understand.

My current camera had much better image stabilization, and I tend to prefer photos taken without flash now.

I don't want someone else's stock photo. I want the shots that only I can/will take, which express my personal shooting style and creativity, and my own experience. You don't get that from google images. You get someone else's experience.

My current camera had much better image stabilization, and I tend to prefer photos taken without flash now.

Very valid reason for wanting your own shots, and I don't think the pp was targeting that.

Your second comment IS the problem. You NOW prefer not using the flash, but would/did you use the flash in a DARK ride with your old camera? THAT is the problem. Your desire to get the perfect shot, if you use the flash, is distracting and ruining the experience for everyone else on that ride with you.

And this thread is not directed toward you since you obviously know to turn off your flash. Those that are encouraging people to enjoy the now are just upset because the majority of people taking pictures/videos are NOT turning off their flash. They are not people who enjoy photography as a hobby; they're just doing what they do everyday with their phones with no regard to others or what a lighted screen/flash does to distract from the actual ride.
Actually a number of posts since the original post have been directed at photography in general (not just flash use).

This happened to me on Na`vi River Journey and it really pissed me and everyone else in the boat off!

The flash actually hurts my eyes. I have a photosensitivity....the eye doctor actually called it photophobia even though it isn't a fear. It's pain. I've had to actually cry out "owww!" A few times when idiots on dark rides start snapping away in my face.

Just as annoying are those flashing toys and necklaces everyone wears during nighttime shows. It sucks trying to watch Fantasmic or a fireworks show with the person in front wearing those flashing Christmas light necklaces or holding their iPad in my face.

We were at Disney during Maelstrom's last week. It was busy, as you can imagine. Earlier in the week, we had a FP and were in the back of the boat with a group of women who were taking flash photos and using flash to video. I yelled (to be heard) at them "Flash is not allowed!" They did stop, but made fun of me the rest of the ride. I was very glad we had another FP on Maelstrom's last night and that ride went well.

I thought I was the only one with this pet peeve! On our trip in February I was able to snag a FFP for us to ride BTM during Wishes. Romantic right? Nope. There was a young woman sitting right in front of us who held up her cell phone with the flash on for the entire ride. It didn't ruin the trip, but this was my DHs first trip to Disney and his only request to me when I was panning was to ride a rollercoaster and he wanted to see fireworks. I was thrilled I was able to do both at once.

Oh, well, next time.

Many folks:
A. Have no idea that their flash is actually on.
B. Have no idea that it's even an option to turn it off.
C. Have no idea HOW to turn it off.

I am pretty forgiving if someone snaps a pic and they didn't know flash is on, as long as once they see that they either turn it off or put the camera down.

Honestly, these days, some phones have screens so bright it may as well be a flash too - something that was not an issue with old film cameras.

This happened to me on Na`vi River Journey and it really pissed me and everyone else in the boat off!
Me too. First ride on the River Journey we were in the back row and there was a family of 4 in front of us. One had their cell phone out taking a video of the whole ride with their video light on, and another snapped a flash picture using her cellphone ever 5 seconds. It really ruined the experience. I tried to tell them to stop it, but they only spoke Spanish (or pretended not to understand me).

I am pretty forgiving if someone snaps a pic and they didn't know flash is on, as long as once they see that they either turn it off or put the camera down.

There are so very few people who now have high-tech cameras (usually phones/tablets) thrust into their hands
that even have a rudimentary understanding of the gear's operation and menu-based controls.
Consider entire generations of people who simply NEVER figured out how to get their VCRs to stop flashing "12:00."
(Many even resorted to covering the clock face with tape.)

To many, the "little light" (AKA "flash") is just a part of the "way it works.",
"Oh, its always on. I take so many pictures and films (sic) that I don't even notice it."

They literally have no concept that it is controllable.
(Much less, that it is totally ineffectual at all but the closest-distance photos.)

To make an announcement that says to "turn off flash and/or video lights" just does not register with
uneducated or technophobe camera operators.
("If I 'change something,' it might not work anymore. I just leave everything alone.")

I can't tell you how many times I've talked with family members or friends who say,
"Oh, it's just always on." in regard to flashes and video assist lights.
"It came that way" is a standard line, too.

Many have absolutely no idea that the "no lights" announcement is meant for THEM.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter