Storage at the adult pools\ chair hogs

It’s strange that DCL doesn’t have a chair policy. Disney has one at Aulani. It’s not horribly strict. They put a folded towel on your chair and when you don’t unfold it within (I think) 30 minutes they take your stuff and clear the chair. It’s communicated quite well, also where you can pick up your stuff.

I'm not sure you could design a ship's pool to accommodate 3000-6000 passengers.

I agree with most people that whether or not there is storage isn't the issue. If you wanted somewhere to put stuff where it wouldn't get wet, you could use a waterproof bag (DCL even provides one as the CC gift right now). I think most people just want to reserve a chair to use all day long regardless of what they're doing right then. That won't be fixed by storage bins. I now wear a swim jacket and pants (no need for a separate cover-up to put somewhere and a zipped pocket to put my room card in) and swim shoes (no need to find somewhere to put my sandals). So I no longer need anywhere to put my stuff. Years ago, a storage cubby might have been useful, but I found my own workaround.
Not saying that the entire capacity would have to be accommodated at once, but if there was a reasonable expectation of being able to find a pool chair when you wanted one, then people might not have that FOMO need to go all hoggie on them.

Its a viscous cycle. I would have no need or desire to "hog" a chair, if there would be chairs available when I actually wanted to sit in one. But because other people hog chairs, therefore I have to hog a chair if I want one available for my use. Its a collective action problem.

It’s strange that DCL doesn’t have a chair policy. Disney has one at Aulani. It’s not horribly strict. They put a folded towel on your chair and when you don’t unfold it within (I think) 30 minutes they take your stuff and clear the chair. It’s communicated quite well, also where you can pick up your stuff.

So don't people just walk by their chairs and unfold the towels?

So don't people just walk by their chairs and unfold the towels?
Some do. But those who are tied up in other activities can’t. It lets those who alternate between chair and pool have a spot to return too, but limits those who grab the best chairs early morning to have one later in the day. They also have a rule at Aulani that you can’t save a chair before (I think) 8 am. So, no rushing out as early as possible. I think on the cruise that makes sense, too. No pool chair saving until the pools open for the day.

It’s not perfect, but it does help a bit at least. In my experience they are also stricter when they are busy. Not so much in the early evening when plenty of chairs are available anyway.

I honestly don't understand the chair hogs who put stuff in them in the morning to 'reserve' them for the afternoon. There are plenty of us that just want a place to put our stuff while we're in the pool/sit while having food and will be gone before the chair hogs returns. I have no desire to lounge in the sun all day. (Fair complexion and I get bored just sitting doing nothing.)

So I have been thinking about this since I have been cruising pretty often and maybe what would help deter chair hogs is having some sort of cubby, locker, etc at the adult pool area?

I know for myself I don't want to take up a chair while I am in a pool (and a double dirty eye for those who take up the round loungers while in the pool or hot tub) but there is no place to put my stuff on the dream or fantasy where it won't get wet except a chair. I would be more than happy to have it in a cubby or locker while in the water and use a chair once I am actually using it... Am I the only one?

Would you be good with stuff in a storage space and only grabbing a chair when actually using it?
The newer ships do have some, near the AquaDuck/AquaMouse. The ones for AM are right near the entrance, so they might hard to use if you're not riding. But the ones on the Dream/Fantasy are a little more 'accessible.' No, they're not right next to the pools, but it's something (I don't see why they couldn't add more, either).

The newer ships do have some, near the AquaDuck/AquaMouse. The ones for AM are right near the entrance, so they might hard to use if you're not riding. But the ones on the Dream/Fantasy are a little more 'accessible.' No, they're not right next to the pools, but it's something (I don't see why they couldn't add more, either).
These are also tiny. I would like them to be a bit larger and deeper. These feel to me to be designed to hold sunglasses or things like that…

These are also tiny. I would like them to be a bit larger and deeper. These feel to me to be designed to hold sunglasses or things like that…
I've always been able to fit my sandals, a coverup/shirt, sunglasses, towel, phone, and lanyard/MB in there with little issue. No, they're not huge, but have always fit what I needed to (and yes, I know leaving my phone there is a risk, I only do that if I have no other option).

I don’t sit in the sun, but like a chair in the shade. On the two classic ships some of these are just out of site of the pool in the quiet cove. I often sail solo or my family don’t use the pool at all, so I reserve a seat, sit and read until I’m ready for a dip in the pool. I’d hate to come out after say 30 minutes and find all my stuff gone and there then be nowhere for me to sit, because I’m always in the area and will get out of the pool, sit on the wooden pool surround just to dry off and then go back to reading. I never reserve until I’m there and do hate those who come up at silly o clock to reserve a seat and not turn up until the afternoon, but nor do I want to be penalised either just for having a place to return to after a relaxing dip in the pool.
I don’t have an answer though.

I've always been able to fit my sandals, a coverup/shirt, sunglasses, towel, phone, and lanyard/MB in there with little issue. No, they're not huge, but have always fit what I needed to (and yes, I know leaving my phone there is a risk, I only do that if I have no other option).
I do the same thing. Never had a problem fitting my belongings in the cubbies, but I don’t bring any kind of bag—just phone in a waterproof case, sandals, cover up and sunglasses and maybe a floppy hat.

Personally, and I know this is an unpopular opinion, I’d be happy to pay a reasonable fee for a shaded lounger or pool bed. I don’t reserve chairs—usually use cubbies or combine stuff onto a single chair for our family of 5 while we swim, but I also have no desire to use the DCL chairs because they are pretty much all in the sun and I burn easily. If they added some nice shady cushioned seating as an upcharge I’d book it in a heartbeat. We are going to Aulani this summer and I liked that they allow you to book a cabana or shady lounge areas in advance so I don’t have to stress about finding a seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter