Storm Watch: Hurricane Sandy

Not sure if it will come up this way but ready with woodstove and generator!

I'll be thinking ans praying for all of you...if it doesn't make that western jog and go inland where they say it will be heading right for us, hear in Nova Scotia, so I'm hoping it just fizzles and dies somewhere out to sea!!!

Be prepared everyone and stay safe!

We leave for WDW early Friday morning. So hoping all the damage here is done, and we can drive down in peace. Just glad this is happening before we leave. I would hate not knowing how my house is fairing and trying to enjoy our vacation at the same time.

I'm hoping that the fact that they are already knicknaming it and playing crisis music means that it will be a non-event in the end.

Once when the local media got all excited hear for a storm they actually had reports standing on the beaches, doing live reports all night long, only to have nothing happen. Of course, when everyone ignored Hurricane Juan it slammed us......

They are saying we may get snow (and possibly a lot of it) as a residual of this "collision" of the Cool air hitting Sandy. I really am not ready for snow yet. *Seriously!*

Sayhello

It's very windy here, but there has been little rain...other than a squall early morning.

I know this is not the best manners, but I'm sure I speak for Floridians when I say "thank heavens it's not us".:duck:

Good luck everyone.

I'm dreading this so much. Last year we had excessive property damage from the snow storm and no power for almost a week. This year I have a baby to worry about and I don't want to be without heat!

im right by the GwB EXIT 18 ON TPKE,, i m so close to the city i have the skyline view from my apt..dont know what to think?? i did get water, batteries, toaster strudels and ice cream...wasnt that in a preparedness kit somewhere ;)

We are supposed to flying out Mon 7 am from Stewart Airport in Newburgh NY and PRAY that we get on it and fly out. It doesn't look good......:(
I don't know if we would get out at all if we don't get out on Monday.

We have the basics already in the house...just have to make sure we have enough gas for the generator and all the electronics are fully charged.

Note, some airlines are already issuing travel alerts. Once they do that you can change your flight and usually have the change fees waived. You would probably be better off heading out earlier rather than later. I mean, who's going to complain about a couple extra days at WDW?

By the projected maps, Sandy will be heading over us around mid-week so we've got an extra day or two to be prepared if necessary. Hoping Frankenstorm fizzles out before then or switches it up and just heads on out to the Atlantic but until then I'll be praying for all the DISers in it's path. Stay safe everyone!!

Well, here we are one day later with more news.

According to today's news, there's a 10% chance that it will NOT hit us. :rolleyes2

The chance of it colliding with the the artic front could bring a few FEET of snow.

Evacuations have apparently started in parts of NJ.

The latest maps:

229841_10152240194515122_1675454613_n.jpg

The yellow will see a major impact while the red area will see the worst.

Unlike Hurricane Irene which dumped especially heavy rains and brought gusty winds over a 12 hour period, this storm has the potential to do the same over a 48 to 72 hour period with more devastating results. Unprecedented flooding from 10-15"+ rainfall storm totals are possible over New Jersey, eastern Pennsylvania, and southeastern New England including all of the New York City metropolitan area and all of Long Island. The storm should finally move out of the region by Wednesday, with colder air moving into the area. With saturated, flooded grounds and a prolonged period of storm-force winds, widespread tree damage is expected ...and that tree damage will create widespread, long-term power outages that could last many days if not longer. In the primary impact area outlined above, people should be prepared to have no electrical power (and perhaps water, gas, and heat) for many, many days. Winds will be fairly intense through this storm, with sustained 25-50mph winds likely from the coast to 200 miles inland, with sustained winds of 40-80mph likely at the coast, with gusts 30-70mph inland and 50-95mph at the coast currently expected.

12760_10152240035155122_503597017_n.png

I also just read online that a storm like this has not been seen here since the 1930s.

Okay, I'm officially getting nervous now.

Can someone explain to me about the lines...

Is that where the EYE would possibly hit, and if so would the storm and the effects of it be all around the eye?

I'm in upstate NY and was wondering if most of these lines meant I'm in the clear or if thats just the center and I'm not in the clear

We're in that yellow area of New Jersey. I don't know what the lines indicate either. I clicked on weather.com and it indicates that Tuesday will be the worse of the days.

Can someone explain to me about the lines...

Is that where the EYE would possibly hit, and if so would the storm and the effects of it be all around the eye?

I'm in upstate NY and was wondering if most of these lines meant I'm in the clear or if thats just the center and I'm not in the clear

These are the models of where the storm can possibly hit.

Each scientific model is put out by a different organization.

The majority seem to focus on southern NJ, Maryland and Delaware.

That being said, there are models that have the storm hitting more north and others that have it going out to sea.

Keep in mind that while these includes scientific data.....this is basically guessing.

Just to give an example....

This is similar to the map that John and I saw in NYC when Isaac was headed toward FL.

Because of this type of thing...we canceled our cruise and in the end, everything turned out to be very minor.

You just never know, but you should take precautions.

Water, flashlights, batteries, candles, extra nonperishable food, lots and lots of chocolate and firewood...if you have a fireplace..are all good ideas.

Filling your gas tank, getting some "on hand" cash and making sure everything is fully charged are also good ideas.

Also...make sure you have enough pet food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter