Storm Watch: Hurricane Sandy

Just a heads-up to NJ DISers, the governor is going to be on any minute regarding declaring a state of emergency...

I believe New York, Delaware, and Virginia already called one, if I'm not mistaken.

It was nice of him to come back from all of his travels since it seems everytime there is a problem he is elsewhere.

Our state CT has been declared. We have everything all set, food, batteries, water, basics. Full tank of gas. But looks like this will be another year they may cancel Halloween. Last year Irene hit and then we had an October storm, Halloween cancelled, no power for 2 weeks. All that candy again? ;)

It was nice of him to come back from all of his travels since it seems everytime there is a problem he is elsewhere.

I about fell over when someone asked him if he'd actually be in the state for this storm. :rotfl2:

I laughed yesterday when the Lt. Governor gave the briefing and said he was away but would be back in 2-3 hours.

The last three halloweens we were at Disney World. I guess I am glad we are home because I would be too worried about our house. This would have been my daughter's first experience actually trick or treating.

Just a heads-up to NJ DISers, the governor is going to be on any minute regarding declaring a state of emergency...

I believe New York, Delaware, and Virginia already called one, if I'm not mistaken.

Couldn't Christie just block the storm with his body?

(hey, I'm a fat guy too so I could help him)

We leave for WDW early Friday morning. So hoping all the damage here is done, and we can drive down in peace. Just glad this is happening before we leave. I would hate not knowing how my house is fairing and trying to enjoy our vacation at the same time.

Right with you on this, we are planning on leaving Wed late or early Thurs. Also want to have peace of mind knowing my house is safe and secure. We in Jersey looks like we are going to be hit pretty hard.

Stay safe everyone!!

thinking of all of you in the path. We just got off the Fantasy today after Captain Tom decided to be the only cruise ship to return to port today (all other cruise lines stayed at sea and avoided the storm). We have been in the hurricane on the Fantasy for 2 days, terrified. The interior of the ship, the shops, dining rooms were all terribly damaged. The crew, although very helpful, was also very frightened. We had 40 foot waves and 80 mile an hour winds last night, the seas were so rough that people were walking around with life jackets on (many people were falling, crying, screaming at times). Needless to say, I am not pleased with DCL's decision to return to port in bad weather (this could have been avoided, I know the logistics are complicated, but going through what we went through was not worth it). There is a long story that goes along with this tale that many of my fellow dis cruisers and I will share, but right now I am exhausted because none of us slept last night. Simply, it was the most terrifying experience of my life. Please no flames, you would understand if you were there. We are grateful to be on solid land and it will be a very long time before I put my trust in DCL with the safety of my family again. I can testify that my sentiments were shared by most everyone I spoke with on board. Blessings to you in the north east.

thinking of all of you in the path. We just got off the Fantasy today after Captain Tom decided to be the only cruise ship to return to port today (all other cruise lines stayed at sea and avoided the storm). We have been in the hurricane on the Fantasy for 2 days, terrified. The interior of the ship, the shops, dining rooms were all terribly damaged. The crew, although very helpful, was also very frightened. We had 40 foot waves and 80 mile an hour winds last night, the seas were so rough that people were walking around with life jackets on (many people were falling, crying, screaming at times). Needless to say, I am not pleased with DCL's decision to return to port in bad weather (this could have been avoided, I know the logistics are complicated, but going through what we went through was not worth it). There is a long story that goes along with this tale that many of my fellow dis cruisers and I will share, but right now I am exhausted because none of us slept last night. Simply, it was the most terrifying experience of my life. Please no flames, you would understand if you were there. We are grateful to be on solid land and it will be a very long time before I put my trust in DCL with the safety of my family again. I can testify that my sentiments were shared by most everyone I spoke with on board. Blessings to you in the north east.

:scared1::scared1:

40 foot waves...

:crazy2:

ETA: Glad you guys are all ok!!

I'm shocked at this story. I did see a picture earlier today of the damage in the gift shop. I had no idea that DCL could have avoided this by staying out to see. I thought the ship got caught in it. Very surprising.

OMG, I was dragged on my last cruise and ended up loving it, but your story is the SOLE reason I was terrified to go.

Glad you are safe and sound.

thanks everyone for your well wishes.;)

Interestingly, I posted on a thread already started on the DCL board and was shocked by the rude responses of some of the people there. But many disers did offer support, which was what those of us on that ship last night were looking for when we came to the disboards today.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3013842&page=15

Now it looks like it's going to come ashore around central Jersey! We are now in the 70-80 mph wind range. I'm really not liking this.

Stay safe everyone!!! If you haven't bought your supplies be sure to do it. Don't be tempted to rush out in the middle of the storm.

If you can check in here please do so. Please know that there are many of us concerned about you.

It seems to be strange sitting on the back side of this. I hope all my friends in the Northeast don't sustain any damage!!

we're supposed to fly to new york on tuesday morning for my mom's doctor's appointment and then fly back to detroit on wednesday morning, but i guess we have to reschedule!

we also have tickets for the book of mormon for tuesday night, but the ticket service said there would be no problem - they'll just credit our credit card.
and the hotel isn't a problem either.

Delta on the other hand, only permits one change of date and you have to fly before november 4th. Only on monday will i find out when she can get a new appoinment and it might well be after nov. 4th. And these were economy tickets that cost $800 each!!!!!! (flying out of detroit totally sucks - delta has monopoly power there and never lets you forget it).

anyway, delta - never fails to disappoint!!!

map_tropinfo18_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

Here's the latest location of Sandy.

We are already having an increase in wind here in NJ. The leaves are falling down like crazy. My front lawn looks like a sea of pine needles.

I'm getting all of the wash done now. Last night, I filled 24 quart Zip Locs with water and froze them. I'll transfer a few to the fridge this afternoon. I'm also planning of turning the temps on the freezer and fridge up tonight so things are very cold when the power goes out.

Don't forget your iPhones, everyone. Mine will be charging non-stop until we lose power. I'm doing the same with my laptop so I can charge it through that; I also have an external battery and car charger. I don't have a land line so it's imperative to have it running especially with elderly parents who are not in the best of health conditions.

Stay safe, all, and check in when you can. :grouphug:

The sky is looking pretty ominous here in CT. I can definitely feel it in the air.

map_tropinfo18_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

Here's the latest location of Sandy.

We are already having an increase in wind here in NJ. The leaves are falling down like crazy. My front lawn looks like a sea of pine needles.

I'm getting all of the wash done now. Last night, I filled 24 quart Zip Locs with water and froze them. I'll transfer a few to the fridge this afternoon. I'm also planning of turning the temps on the freezer and fridge up tonight so things are very cold when the power goes out.

Don't forget your iPhones, everyone. Mine will be charging non-stop until we lose power. I'm doing the same with my laptop so I can charge it through that; I also have an external battery and car charger. I don't have a land line so it's imperative to have it running especially with elderly parents who are not in the best of health conditions.

Stay safe, all, and check in when you can. :grouphug:

stay safe Nikki!
you can also fill up pots with water.
we have a bomb shelter filled with cases and cases of bottled water (for somewhat different circumstances, but the water is good whatever the reason).
but if you don't have lots of bottled water, you can fill pots and even your bathtub with water in case the tap water becomes contaminated during the storm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter