Stupid names for a child

Seems to be the thing now to give a child a stupid name. Or a name that you can’t tell by the name if it’s a male or female.

Strange names have been around since the beginning of time, so they are nothing new. I would only hope if a child is given an unusual first name, that their middle name is more mainstream, giving the child a choice which to go by.

My mother and all of her sisters went by their middle names.

Abcde (pronounced ab-suh-dee)

You are just setting your child up for a lifetime of explaining.
I have an Irish first name (not even something like "Siobhan") and have spent my life pronouncing and spelling it. 🤷 I know a lot of people who have more "normal" names who have the same problem.

(The problem with Abcde is that mother did it on purpose to be stupid.)

My mother and all of her sisters went by their middle names.
2 of my cousins and I go by our middle names. That is what our parents decided they wanted us known by. Our legal first name is the same for all three, Robert.

My mom was known by her middle name, and dropped her first name, Ann, when she because a U.S. Citizen.
My MIL was known within the family by her first name, George, but her friends all knew her by her middle name, Ann.

Many people probably consider it dumb, but I actually kind of like Moxie CrimeFighter.

I went to school with brothers named Hasty and Early.

I think the trend to give names that are the first one or two letters, then an apostrophe, then the rest of the name, as in Di'Asia. Then there are names that are just a bunch of letters made into a name. These names may sound good, but the children will go through life repeating and spelling their names.

I worked really hard at choosing names for my kids. I wanted normal but uncommon names. I grew up in the Jessica/Tiffany/Jennifer era and I remember having 4 Jessica's in my 3rd grade class. I didn't want to do that to my kids but I also didn't want them getting teased on the playground because I chose something all crazy pants. In addition, I wanted to choose names that would sound dignified on an adult. I wasn't naming kindergarteners. I worked hard to name adults.

My mother tells a story about how my grandmother had originally chosen a different name for her. She was originally supposed to be April Mae Lastname. She was born in March. She said she thought it was adorable and almost wished her mother had stuck with that choice. You were born in March and your name was almost April Mae? That's not cute it's idiotic. It's barely cute on a 5 year old but truly heinous on an adult.

That said, DS5 was in preschool this year and the only double name in his class is his. I worked so hard to give him a normal, regular yet not common name that he could wear with pride into adulthood and it is the only double name in his class. Awesome.

2 of my cousins and I go by our middle names. That is what our parents decided they wanted us known by. Our legal first name is the same for all three, Robert.

My mom was known by her middle name, and dropped her first name, Ann, when she because a U.S. Citizen.
My MIL was known within the family by her first name, George, but her friends all knew her by her middle name, Ann.

I once worked at a bank and local family, who had a lot of kids, gave all the girls the same first name as the mother and gave indiivdual middle names. No joke, there were like 6 of them. Every time a new one came in to cash a check or whatever we were like "hey look, another firstname."

In the Netherlands we each year have a release of what we call 'shame names', and it's parents not thinking, or intentionally being funny, about the combination of first and last names.
Jack Pot
Anne Oy
Lee Way
Will Power

Or the parents who do not think about famous names.
Last name Potter, first name Harry. Just don't do that to your child. When your last name is Hood, don't call your child Robin.

Or just rude names are created because of the sound. Like this:

Last edited:
When baby names became popular it used to be that you had names that were popular during historic times and that made them popular for years and decades to come. In colonial times it used to be that girls would be named Katherine Elizabeth and Anne and boys had simple names like George Ben or Thomas. But when the bible was published it introduced names that would be popular like for girls Mary is still popular and Eve but a lot of boys names that are popular today are from the bible like John Paul and Michael or Tobias and Toby. But when Queen Victoria was queen of England Victoria became popular for girls and started the trend of fancy names for girls such as Heather Tiffany and Ashley and Stephanie. And for a time I can remember when Michael was a huge popular name for boys and everybody named their sons Michael. But I have noticed weird spellings of names as a trend lately today. Like I can never figure out why they spell Janet J'Net for girls and I think this spelling became popular due to J'Net Dubois from the TV sitcom Good Times and just like they did to the name Janet they do the same with Darcy by spelling it D'Arcy too and it shocks me that they spell names like this now. Another thing I find odd about names today that they have made weird spellings of names and I find it very odd. Like instead of the name Jeremy they spell Jeremy as Jeromy and they spell Jacob as Jakob and I have never understood this because I remember when names had simple spellings and were easy to pronounce. But I think this trend will last for years to come

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter