• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

suggested reading list

My mom came for dinner on Saturday. Before she left I gave her my copy of Twilight to take home and read. She said she would read it if I promise to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Guess I'll be starting that one soon. ;)

The River of doubt. Theodore Roosevelt's darkest Journey.

My mom just gave me this book to read, she said it was unbelievable, and the best book she ever read.

"after his defeat in 1912 he set his sights on the most punishing physical challenge he could find, the first descent of an unmapped rapids-choked tributary of the Amazon".

I'm going to get started on this while on vacation!! Let me know if you try it out!!

i like debbie macomber. she has a series called cedar grove. each book is an address. the first number in that address is the book number in the series.

I like her too, but I havent heard of that series. I also just bought The Shack, now I just have to find the time to actually sit and read it.

anything by Jodi picoult, she is fantastic. BTW I think I am the only person who didnt really enjoy "the shack".

By the author of the Left Behind series, Jerry Jenkins:

The Underground Zealot Series-

Soon

Silenced

Shadowed

UNBELIEVABLE BOOKS and soooo relevant for our time.

Highly recommended and you will not be able to put them down. Just make sure you have the 2nd one handy as soon as you finish the 1st and likewise with the last one. The books literally end during the best part of the story and you will go nuts if you don't have the next one handy. I saw Soon in our library and had never read any books by Jerry Jenkins. I thought the cover looked cool and was desperate for a good book to read. I got lucky in the fact that I read the correct one first because it was an old copy that said nothing about a sequel. I FREAKED OUT at 2am one morning when the story just stopped with no ending in site and a serious miracle going on!:eek: All the people in my life that are readers are reading these books as we speak. I have just started the Left Behind series and I love them! I guess I am a little slow.:sad2:

My aunt finished Soon this past Sat. and spent half the day looking for the second one. She ended up getting a library card for the first time in years because she couldn't find the 2nd and 3rd in any store....I warned her!:laughing:

Thank you all for sharing what you've recently read.

I like to read (but it takes me along time to finish a book) and usually read several books by the same author, then venture on to another author.

I've enjoyed googling some of these books mentioned to see if I might enjoy them. Some seem like they would be too deep - or else my ADD brain would lose focus! If I have to think too much - or reread the pages too many times - I just end up putting the book down before it is finished.

I enjoy Patricia Cornwell, Nora Roberts and the James Patterson Alex Cross and The Women's Murder Club series.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
My mom gave me that book for Christmas when I was 10 years old because I'd read thru all the Nancy Drew books. I think I read it about 20 times. I'd forgotten about it Kelly. You've given me a "quest" to go to the library and reacquaint myself with an old friend! Thanks!

By the author of the Left Behind series, Jerry Jenkins:

The Underground Zealot Series-

Soon

Silenced

Shadowed

UNBELIEVABLE BOOKS and soooo relevant for our time.

Highly recommended and you will not be able to put them down. Just make sure you have the 2nd one handy as soon as you finish the 1st and likewise with the last one. The books literally end during the best part of the story and you will go nuts if you don't have the next one handy. I saw Soon in our library and had never read any books by Jerry Jenkins. I thought the cover looked cool and was desperate for a good book to read. I got lucky in the fact that I read the correct one first because it was an old copy that said nothing about a sequel. I FREAKED OUT at 2am one morning when the story just stopped with no ending in site and a serious miracle going on!:eek: All the people in my life that are readers are reading these books as we speak. I have just started the Left Behind series and I love them! I guess I am a little slow.:sad2:

My aunt finished Soon this past Sat. and spent half the day looking for the second one. She ended up getting a library card for the first time in years because she couldn't find the 2nd and 3rd in any store....I warned her!:laughing:

Good morning........has she tried chrisianbooks.com ?? I think I remember seeing them on that site or in one of their catalogs...just a thought.

I just read " The Book Thief " it is a young adult book, but adults will enjoy it to. Kind of dark and sad . Its narrated from Death's perspective.
Also " Wicked" by Gregory Maguire. It from the wicked witch's side of the story.

Good morning........has she tried chrisianbooks.com ?? I think I remember seeing them on that site or in one of their catalogs...just a thought.

That is a really good website, but it is cheaper on amazon with free shipping.

Actually she just checked the other two out and told me today that she is almost finished with the last one.

I am going to order them for myself and order her the other two so she can share her set with her friends.

I just finished Left Behind and am now reading #2, Tribulation Force..............:worship: WONDERFUL BOOKS!

Thanks for the advice mrsscooter!

I enjoyed reading the Left Behind Series of books. They always leave you hanging until you can start the next one.

If you just want a quick read, I still think the Stephanie Plum books are the best. I could always read them in a day. They are ok to read out of order, but are best if you start at "One For the Money" and go in order.

I just got done reading the Charlaine Harris series with Sookie Stackhouse as the main character. I think there are 8 books total. The first starts with Dead Until Dark. They actually made it into a series on HBO called "True Blood". I like the books but its taken me a while to get into the show.

And my maiden name is "Macomber" so I have to love Debbie Macomber's stuff. Kind of weird seeing it on a book though. I've never gotten used to it.

I enjoyed reading the Left Behind Series of books. They always leave you hanging until you can start the next one.

If you just want a quick read, I still think the Stephanie Plum books are the best. I could always read them in a day. They are ok to read out of order, but are best if you start at "One For the Money" and go in order.

I :lovestruc the Plum series! I just started reading them and Im already to 8. Im also a huge Patterson fan. I did not start the twilight series yet but that is next. (i didnt do harry potter till they were all out everyone at work was talking about it so i felt that i had to read them)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter